Possible to change the detaching sound ?

yannrochas

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, do you guys know if it's possible to change the sound that the clipboard makes when you detach it from the keyboard ?
I guess it's just linked to a sound file somewhere... you have any ideas ?

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I would like mine to sound like a screaming sound. Like the the tablet is being ripped from the body!!!!

You know that would be awesome!

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
So which sound in the system sounds is supposed to be the clipboard detaching?

As far as I know, the only 'sound' when you detach, is the disconnecting keyboard USB sound. So you need to change the "Device Disconnect" sound. You will then get the same sound when you unplug any USB device.

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I get an "unsnapping" or "clicking" sound when it detaches; even with the speakers supposedly muted. No sound when reattaching though.

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes the sound is all silent and everything you hear is artificial per Microsoft.
Yes I have heard that as well and I don't remember who said that or why but it's pretty obviously not true. The detach sound is not a good sound. It sounds like a something breaking or cracking... And it changes based on the angle of the clipboard before you detach. Now, perhaps it was supposed to be silent, and maybe it was silent on some of the prototypes but clearly that feature did not make it to market. I heard the same awful detach noise on all 3 Books that I've encountered. I haven't heard anything played over the speakers, the detach sound is pretty obviously the sound of the muscle wire tightening.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have heard that as well and I don't remember who said that or why but it's pretty obviously not true. The detach sound is not a good sound. It sounds like a something breaking or cracking... And it changes based on the angle of the clipboard before you detach. Now, perhaps it was supposed to be silent, and maybe it was silent on some of the prototypes but clearly that feature did not make it to market. I heard the same awful detach noise on all 3 Books that I've encountered. I haven't heard anything played over the speakers, the detach sound is pretty obviously the sound of the muscle wire tightening.

It is silent..

Surface Book's Detaching Mechanism Involves A Little Software Audio Theater - Microsoft News

The detach sound is fine. It is not an awful sound and it is there so you know you can safely pull the screen off the dock. Not sure why people make such a big deal over a sound that is literally 1 second long.

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I think that's a lie. The sound is pretty clearly not coming from the speakers. It changes based on the detach angle and is obviously coming from the muscle wire locks. Idk why they're lying about this but I think they are. Put your ear to the Surface Book hinge and the Surface Book speaker and compare the sound. It's obvious.

I have had so many software glitches with my book and somehow, in spite of all of that, even when the Book thought it was already detached and was showing a steady red light I held down the button for an extra 5 seconds until it turned green... Somehow it still made the sound. No matter what the detach always makes the sound. I have never had the tablet detach without making the sound. MS has never had that kind of consistency with anything.

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site

Sorry, but someone there is full of it.
Find where the speakers are, put you ears near them. (the cut outs in the glass on the front) Nothing.
Put your ears near the latch. Hear and FEEL the metal clang when it slams opened. You will also hear the buzzing of the modulator that is heating the muscle wire.
More telling though, you can press the clipboard a bit to the front or rear, loading or unloading the latch, and the sound changes a lot.

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I guess the people who made the Surface Book do not know what they are talking about.....

If you actually look at the design in the picture, you can see there is nothing that would make that noise..

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Just metal against metal.

Screenshot (12) cropped.jpg

I did find out something interesting.
I was squeezing the front and rear of the screen, near the release mechanics. to see how much that dampened the noise from the latch. (it requires three hands) It turns out that it made it a LOT quietter on mine. The odd part, it is still quieter.

I suspect the screen was a little loose, and that allowed it to vibrate/shake/rattle a bit. For now it is staying quitter then it was before I squeezed it together. Odd.

Last edited:

Lethal_NFS

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Something this loud when detached would make some sort of clicking sound when re-attaching the tablet. However there is absolutely no sound whatsoever when you do. Sound is not mechanical...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon