Why did my Surface Book touch screen stop working?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Surface Book touch screen stopped working

My Surface Book touch screen has stopped working. I've been through all of the suggestions on the Microsoft website such as disabling and renabling HID touch screen drivers, even deleting them and restarting to automatically reinstall.

The screen works on the boot screen (volume up and power), but not in Windows 10, so it's not a hardware fault.

Any ideas?

shan109

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here with surface pro 4, updated just now today (automatics updates on). After the update, TOUCH screen stopped working. It works on the boot menu though so it is definitely a software problem.

millar72

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: Surface Book touch screen stopped working

I had the same issue (touchscreen worked on UEFI screen, but not after logging into Windows). I figured out how to fix it. Go to the Device Manager, find the "Intel Precise Touch Device", and uninstall it. Now scan for hardware changes. It should find new hardware - highlight it and choose to "Update Driver Software". It should now show up again as the "Intel Precise Touch Device". Reboot. Your touchscreen should work again!

ArdentAngel

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site

I had the same issue (touchscreen worked on UEFI screen, but not after logging into Windows). I figured out how to fix it. Go to the Device Manager, find the "Intel Precise Touch Device", and uninstall it. Now scan for hardware changes. It should find new hardware - highlight it and choose to "Update Driver Software". It should now show up again as the "Intel Precise Touch Device". Reboot. Your touchscreen should work again!

This worked for me! Thanks a lot!
Though my problem was slightly different AND I'm NOT using Insider builds!
The top left corner was unresponsive to touch, reaching half way to the bottom, while only 5 cm to the right. A triangle, so-to-say, at which no matter how I touched it, it simply did nothing. And something similar on the right border, about 0.5 cm for the whole border. I just couldn't click on Show Desktop button, and had problems opening "Action center/Notifications".

I managed to solve it with this. Seriously, I was afraid how much it'll cost to get it fixed, when I found this thread, seeing how it went out of warranty half-a-year ago. :crying:

Jose Susa

Nov 10, 2017
Visit site

My Surface Book touch screen has stopped working. I've been through all of the suggestions on the Microsoft website such as disabling and renabling HID touch screen drivers, even deleting them and restarting to automatically reinstall.

The screen works on the boot screen (volume up and power), but not in Windows 10, so it's not a hardware fault.

Any ideas?

As you know it is related to the Intel Precise touch device driver and specifically to the option of turn this off to save power. I disabled this option from the power management tab and the problem seems to be resolved, now the pitching and the pen never stop working. Of course this shouldn’t be the real solution and Microsoft you fix the driver but for now it is the best we can do.

To get to this option you guys need to go to Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices -> (double click) Intel Precise Touch Device -> Power management -> uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”

I hope it works for you guys.

CptHaddock

Jan 24, 2020
Visit site

After six, yes six long months of trying to sort this touchscreen and keyboard detach issue, I finally found the solution, use the below link to update the drivers

https://drp.su/en/devices/chipset/intel/intel-r-precise-touch-device?os=windows-10-x64

I was able to recreate the issue and solve it, what seems to be going on, is a device driver update is causing the problem, I had Microsoft dial into my computer and try to fix, to no avail, the computer was replaced twice under warranty and the third time was just not believable so I sorted this out myself.

On investigation, what was causing my Toucshcreen to stop working was the "Human Interfaces Devices", "Elan ezTouchFilter driver, dated, 21/06/19, version 1.0.0.8. This dodgy bit of code caused me no end of problems, it was getting updated automatically, once I stopped this version from being installed, all is well and I can actually use the computer for its intended use.

the above link and its program has the smarts to fix, thank goodness and strangely enough, its free, how about that

Last edited:

Ozi Baldone

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site

After six, yes six long months of trying to sort this touchscreen and keyboard detach issue, I finally found the solution, use the below link to update the drivers

https://drp.su/en/devices/chipset/intel/intel-r-precise-touch-device?os=windows-10-x64

I was able to recreate the issue and solve it, what seems to be going on, is a device driver update is causing the problem, I had Microsoft dial into my computer and try to fix, to no avail, the computer was replaced twice under warranty and the third time was just not believable so I sorted this out myself.

On investigation, what was causing my Toucshcreen to stop working was the "Human Interfaces Devices", "Elan ezTouchFilter driver, dated, 21/06/19, version 1.0.0.8. This dodgy bit of code caused me no end of problems, it was getting updated automatically, once I stopped this version from being installed, all is well and I can actually use the computer for its intended use.

the above link and its program has the smarts to fix, thank goodness and strangely enough, its free, how about that

This solved my issue, my version was 1.2.0.100 and i've installed 1.2.0.70, my touchescreen work now. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes