Surface Book ATTACHED message when already docked?!

pez86

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Just started getting this problem since the latest Windows 10 update (August 2016)
Basically when I have the screen attached to the keyboard & I tilt it up or down, or even adjust the volume at the top sometimes - the ATTACHED message will pop up, & also letting me know Auto-Rotate is on?!

I'd get past this but I've noticed that it disconnects from the Nvidia GPU whenever this happens - which just kills anything I'm trying to play on Steam etc. all because I slightly tilted the screen!
End up having to quit the game, detach and re-attach the screen & then relaunch - making sure never to touch the screen whilst I'm playing. Madness!

I couldn't find anything on Google other that blowing into the ports on the screen tablet to clear any debris, which didn't help.
Anyone else had this problem since the latest update? Could really do with a solution!

Cheers,

pez86

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I may have figured out a workaround for this if anyone else is having the same issue...

I detached the screen and then in the Action Center (bottom right on the task bar) I ticked on Rotation Lock*.
Re-attached the screen & it seems to be ok now.

*Note, you can't do this when the screen is attached, the option is greyed out.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I had that problem a long time ago but of of the updates fixed it. Are you applying all the updates and are they installing properly?

worwig

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Basically when I have the screen attached to the keyboard & I tilt it up or down, or even adjust the volume at the top sometimes - the ATTACHED message will pop up, & also letting me know Auto-Rotate is on?!

If just tilting the screen does this, to me, you have a bad or dirty connection.

bhull302

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I saw this thread and created an acct to reply.

2 weeks ago, I purchased a brand new surface book (no GPU). It was very intermittent, but I was experiencing the exact same thing. Sometimes the autorotate on/off window would also briefly pop up. It didn't seem to be affecting anything, but I was concerned that maybe there was a problem with the connector. Fast forward 2 weeks, and after only installing office and acrobat, the camera suddenly stops working completely and the system would get bogged down and run like a dog. It would also get stuck in a loop when logging in with the PIN. It would basically sit there thinking for about 2 minutes and just ask for the PIN again. At that point I took it in and after examining it, MS replaced the machine.

Some things to note, I bought it the day the anniversary release came out. I did all the updates, and didn't see the anniversary update. I figured it was just slowly rolling out, so I went to the MS site where you can manually download it. So I never used it without that update. They stress so much the surface needs all its updates, so I didn't think twice about pushing the anniversary update.

When getting the replacement up and running, one interesting thing I noticed is if you just use the system update, it still does not show the anniversary release. This surprised me. After seeing this thread, I decided not to do the manual install. This is a pure work machine, so I even opted to defer updates. Especially since my desktop is experiencing the anniversary update freezing issue....which is happening enough that it is starting to infuriate me. While I love using the latest and greatest, the surface is now the primary tool of how I make my living and I can't afford for it to be running like ****. The half day I lost reinstalling everything already came at a bad time.

I don't have any suggestions, just thought I'd share my experience of seeing this issue.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If just tilting the screen does this, to me, you have a bad or dirty connection.

I would generally agree, but I've actually experienced something like this on my Surface Book, and I rarely detach the screen if ever. It actually seems like the joint can only take so much abuse, because I actually realized one time when my SB was acting like I'd detached when all I did was tilt the screen to a different angle, that the connection to the base was not 100% locked on the one side. I pushed it down and felt it lock in place and things returned to normal. I don't usually pick my SB up by the screen, but perhaps all that bending and tilting can loosen the connection over time. Or perhaps I really should just get my SB replaced before the warranty is up. *sigh*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon