Can Surface Go catch up to the entry level iPad?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
(Edit: The title might seem like I'm saying that the Surface Go is not on the same level, but I only mean in popularity/familiarity ONLY.)

This is just for discussion, but I'll like to know what you think. Both of these devices have pen support and are the cheapest in their hardware lines.

As iPads are what people think of when it comes to tablets, can you see the Surface Go also there as well, possibly when it comes to popularity?

Last edited:

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
It definitely compares to the iPad, but in particular the iPad Pro. I think if you strictly want a tablet then maybe the iPad is best especially if you are heavily invested in the Apple eco system. HOWEVER if you think you want to use a pen and keyboard AND have a more traditional computer experience then Surface Go is the (for lack of a better word) the way to GO! (did you catch the pun?) Yes you can do this with the iPad Pro BUT at a much higher entry cost. (The Apple tax as they say)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It definitely compares to the iPad, but in particular the iPad Pro. I think if you strictly want a tablet then maybe the iPad is best especially if you are heavily invested in the Apple eco system. HOWEVER if you think you want to use a pen and keyboard AND have a more traditional computer experience then Surface Go is the (for lack of a better word) the way to GO! (did you catch the pun?) Yes you can do this with the iPad Pro BUT at a much higher entry cost. (The Apple tax as they say)

Haha nice pun! You raise a great point about it having a lower cost of entry over the iPad Pro, which I didn't even consider here.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still think the iPad vs Surface comparison is still like comparing a crossover SUV and a body-on-frame SUV in that people who want one kind won’t necessarily care for the other.

They’re both called SUVs but one has heavier-duty underpinnings which introduces pros and cons. Which is like Windows compared to iOS.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I still think the iPad vs Surface comparison is still like comparing a crossover SUV and a body-on-frame SUV in that people who want one kind won’t necessarily care for the other.

They’re both called SUVs but one has heavier-duty underpinnings which introduces pros and cons. Which is like Windows compared to iOS.

That's a great analogy. You left me speechless really xd

dsharp75

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Apples to apples, i guess. at the simple level, the extra 71 bucks gets you twice the space and memory and the full windows catalog.
Getting people to understand and crave it as a premier device, like the ipad has entraced the sheep though....

Rann Xeroxx

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Depends

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you are trying to use an iPad like a PC then, yes, the Go is a better device. If you are trying to use it as a tablet device only then you might be better served with a tablet centric device.

Windows 8.1 was, by far, a better Windows for tablet OS. I find W10 a bit of a pain to use as a tablet only OS.

As far as education, I like the latitude 3189 device far better as it is far more durable.

romo11

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
(Edit: The title might seem like I'm saying that the Surface Go is not on the same level, but I only mean in popularity/familiarity ONLY.)

This is just for discussion, but I'll like to know what you think. Both of these devices have pen support and are the cheapest in their hardware lines.

As iPads are what people think of when it comes to tablets, can you see the Surface Go also there as well, possibly when it comes to popularity?
Yes,.you are right, iPad is tablet at first. Windows tablets are mostly computers. I see windows notebooks or tablets are more expensive. There are not any significant progress late years. Only a lot of slow Intel Atom tablets and powerful ones are too expensive...

bh7171

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
For the past few months I have been researching and comparing devices for our middle school age child. Of course the Surface Go more recently made me consider it alongside the Surface Pro, iPad configurations (both with adding keyboard and stylus/apple pen). The Surface Go, price wise, does compare with an iPad (standard- not Pro) with 128GB, keyboard and pencil. The problem is cost for the target market of education. Both the iPad and Surface Go with essentially base configurations are going to start @ 650 plus tax. The 399/400 for the Go is a tease because nobody is going to purchase, for educational purposes, it without keyboard and pen. After some additional thought and comments on AC I revisited Chromebooks and discovered several good options but ultimately the Lenovo 500e 2in1 with a housed stylus. This can be used as a tablet, tent or laptop, has an excellent keyboard, a stylus that does not need to be charged and best of all, for my students needs, durability and HALF the cost of the iPad or Surface Go. I don't think Microsoft or Apple are really going to disrupt Google 's lead in the educational market unless they can develop 2 in 1 options at similarly affordable and secure options.

tflash

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
The term 'tablet' and Microsoft or Windows just don't fit together unless you're young and don't remember Microsoft's history. Even Android (Google) has a perception problem against Apple's Ipad being thought of when a 'tablet' is mentioned, so what hope does Microsoft have in that respect?

No1HoloLensFan

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Keeping personal preferences aside. The key points of choice would be:

1) Ecosystem: Apple is strong at modern apps and Microsoft is strong at legacy apps. But ipad lacks legacy apps totally and MS does have some modern apps in store for the users. This gives MS a edge here.

2) Hardware design and features: iPad 2018 is a simple tablet. On the other hand the surface go features windows hello enabled IR camera and a kickstand which makes it more versatile for the base price model itself. This again gives edge to GO.

3) Efficiency as a tablet: iPad's modern apps are better for touch support and gives edge to iPad against GO on this point. But this point doesn't go against the GO because windows touch interface is only bad in legacy apps which ipad can't even run.

4) Price: ipad 2018 is cheaper then GO and this gives edge to iPad. But again, this point doesn't go against the GO because GO has much more hardware features then iPad like kickstand and IR camera.

5) Accessories requirement: The task towards which surface GO is targeted (on legacy apps) require keyboard support. on the other hand ipad can do away with keyboard and pen and still comes out to do its targeted work.

Conclusion:
1) The most important key point is ecosystem.
2) The base level GO is only good for education (mostly kids for school) and field work jobs.
3) Buy the SSD version atleast if you are going to use it for any kind of work task which require faster write speeds.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
For the past few months I have been researching and comparing devices for our middle school age child. Of course the Surface Go more recently made me consider it alongside the Surface Pro, iPad configurations (both with adding keyboard and stylus/apple pen). The Surface Go, price wise, does compare with an iPad (standard- not Pro) with 128GB, keyboard and pencil. The problem is cost for the target market of education. Both the iPad and Surface Go with essentially base configurations are going to start @ 650 plus tax. The 399/400 for the Go is a tease because nobody is going to purchase, for educational purposes, it without keyboard and pen. After some additional thought and comments on AC I revisited Chromebooks and discovered several good options but ultimately the Lenovo 500e 2in1 with a housed stylus. This can be used as a tablet, tent or laptop, has an excellent keyboard, a stylus that does not need to be charged and best of all, for my students needs, durability and HALF the cost of the iPad or Surface Go. I don't think Microsoft or Apple are really going to disrupt Google 's lead in the educational market unless they can develop 2 in 1 options at similarly affordable and secure options.

You do have a point about pricing. There are some Windows PCs designed for education that are comparable in price:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ation%2Fdevices%2Fdefault.aspx&token=eKHl6-9Z

e.g.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...es%2Flenovo300e%2Fdefault.aspx&token=6GvyQOCe

Others exist too from Asus and others (e.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUwpUvbUpU3753399).

So there are price comparable Windows PCs to Chrome ones. You don't have to buy something like the Go, but the Go excels in size and design which is why it has a premium price, similar to the iPad.

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
If you want a tablet, you get an iPad. If you want a laptop, then you get a Surface Go or any one of the other numerous laptop choices out there.

tflash

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
If you want a tablet, you get an iPad. If you want a laptop, then you get a Surface Go or any one of the other numerous laptop choices out there.

True, I don't use my Acer Switch 3 as a tablet much, just like I don't use my Huawei Mediapad M3 with a keyboard. I would say if you want a tablet get an Android device. I consider the Surface form factor as just a really light portable computer with a touch screen.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I think the real issue here is, neither does both very well. It does one or the other well, with a touch of PC or Tablet.

At this point, this is where MS really has to stepup and do something spectacular with Windows 10 Andromeda. It has to be fluid and intuitive in tablet mode and work just as well in PC mode. That has been MS's issue since the introduction of Continuum, with Windows 10 Mobile. I've used it a few times to view movies at friends house, but it wasn't without its issues. Maybe, if PWAs were a thing then and usable on mobile, Continuum might have had stronger legs to stand on.

Whatever MS does at this point, they need to get the one OS on all devices right. Developers don't want to have to develop for multiple platforms. IF, MS happens to get this right, where devs can truly develop an app once that will be usable on any MS device well... That, I believe, will be the real answer to their app problems.
However, MS has to put out a compelling device to use them on the move... Yeah, I didn't want to us "Go" since someone already used the pun. Lol

bh7171

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
You do have a point about pricing. There are some Windows PCs designed for education that are comparable in price:

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ation%2Fdevices%2Fdefault.aspx&token=5B5lR-Qb

e.g.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...es%2Flenovo300e%2Fdefault.aspx&token=fur1nGWV

Others exist too from Asus and others (e.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...tml/BI/20079/KBID/13844/SID/UUwpUvbUpU3753411).

So there are price comparable Windows PCs to Chrome ones. You don't have to buy something like the Go, but the Go excels in size and design which is why it has a premium price, similar to the iPad.

Absolutely agree on comparable Windows hardware for educational needs. The perception, be it true or not, is that lower tiered/cost devices run better and securely via Chrome OS. When my almost 13 yo daughter and I went and did some hands on with numerous devices and discussed her needs she really liked the Surface Pro and idea of the smaller GO but noted that her school and teachers were primarily using Chromebooks, Google Docs, Sheets, and Classroom in conjunction with other apps. (Word, Excel, etc are also available to her via the educational 365 program that run on Chromebooks) I like the Surface Pro and Go lines no doubt but being "premium" is not exactly favorable for educational purposes and environments. (Same goes for iPad) I REALLY like what Lenovo is doing with the 100e, 300e and 500e with Chrome and Windows for ages K-12. It's why, for us and my daughters needs, the 500e @ a sale of $249 w/free shipping made the most $$ and sense. If the GO bundled comes down in price I believe it will get traction. The hardware is very nice.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I think one thing that will hurt the Go is that it can run legacy applications. Why? Because they sort of suck on a small touch device. Always have, always will. We had 10" tablets with XP on them. They were kind of small to use as laptops, and frustrating to use as tablets, unless you used a stylus as a mouse.

If you can convince people to leave this thing in tablet mode, and use Store/UWP apps, it is functionally an iPad that CAN do legacy in a pinch. That's how I use my Surface 3 and I love it. I also have a Surface Pro, a 10" iPad Pro, PixelBook and desktop with 34" wide curved monitor. This is not a matter of justifying what I own. The iPad is amazing hardware and works well for many things. The Surface (3 and I expect GO) is a bit bulkier, but not by much, is just as portable, and can do as much...plus. Just the ability to use a mouse or touch pad makes the Windows OS on the Surface much more usable in some situations.

ddn123

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Network administrators will have a much easier time integrating the Go. iOS requires more workarounds. For instance, my daughter headed to College got a Mac Pro. When I looked at the college's IT website, they said you had to load several software packages to use Mathamatica, which is not true for a Windows device. Windows is a stronger OS. Obviously the iPad using iOS is more tuned to touch. But front line workers may end up with the Go because it is much easier to integrate into the corporate network.

I was at Bank of America doing some business. The banker said they were moving to all digital paperwork. He was issued an iPad. The iPad served as the interface between the customer digitally signing a PDF form and the bank's datasystem. But the prompts were a biut cumbersome. There is no reason Bank of America would not want the simplicity of using the Go instead of trying to integrate iOS powered devices into there digital paperwork initiative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes