Eye strain while using surface go

John Newby1

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with eyestrain/headaches while using Surface GO?

I bought one to replace an aging Ipad. Used the Ipad for many years and have never had an issue with eyestrain or headaches. Since buying the surface, I find that i can only go a few minutes reading on it before I start feeling eyestrain. Tried changing the scaling size but that does not help.

Disappointing because I love my Surface Book but wanted something a little more portable to carry between the office and home and for holding when marking up documents, etc. Thinking about taking the Go back and getting a Surface Pro 5 or 6 instead.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Was your iPad about the same size as the Go or was it an iPad Pro?

And if only a few inches smaller is causing that much eye strain then it may be time to head to an optometrist.

John Newby1

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
Same size, not the pro. till have the Ipad and went back to reading with that today to review and don't have the issue. Seems strange. Appreciate the suggestion but I had Lasik a few years ago and have not had any problem with my vision. Apple really frustrates me with some of the things they do so I was hoping to move away from the IPad.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Same size, not the pro. till have the Ipad and went back to reading with that today to review and don't have the issue. Seems strange. Appreciate the suggestion but I had Lasik a few years ago and have not had any problem with my vision. Apple really frustrates me with some of the things they do so I was hoping to move away from the IPad.
Just a thought, but I wonder if refresh rate has anything to do with your headaches. I haven't checked the specs, but does the iPad have a higher rate than the Go?

Never mind. Looks like they both have 60Hz if you were using an older iPad.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The only two things I can think of is lowering the screen brightness or adjusting Windows Night Light settings to give the screen a softer, warmer look.

John Newby1

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It appears it has to do with something called pulse with modulation. I had never heard of this before but it is apparently it is affecting me:

"What we did find, unfortunately, was PWM for brightness levels of 99% and below. At least the frequency of 1,020 Hz was relatively high, which should reduce the probability of causing eye strain and headaches for sensitive users.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Go-Pentium-64GB-eMMC-Tablet-Review.336420.0.html

Seems like it is a problem on the new Iphone X also due to the type of display used."

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/7uv6m3/iphone_x_uses_pulse_width_modulation_which_is_a/

So i think my option is to also have it at 100 % brightness or return it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon