Just went and picked up a Surface from Times Square NYC

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
By any chance is this the Valley Fair Cupertino store? Might stop by during lunch hour..

Yes it was, but that was around 730 this morning.

Not sure if it got bigger, i know they delayed the opening so that lines can get bigger so it looks like they are a lot of people.

I had to leave cuz they said it was going to open at 8 and ended up opening at 9, had to get to work. i am planning to get there too during lunch

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Got mine and love it. A little disappointed the OS games so much space. 17.1gb of free space on the 32gb version. Anyone know if I can redownload office rt if I decide to uninstall it?

Sad, Panay touted how this is a 32GB device yet people are reporting only 16-17GB free at initial activation time. Sounds like fraud to me.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Got mine and love it. A little disappointed the OS games so much space. 17.1gb of free space on the 32gb version. Anyone know if I can redownload office rt if I decide to uninstall it?

That's no surprise to me. I've a few articles that said a basic installation of Win7 takes 16GB and a basic installation of WinRT takes 12GB

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The apps themselves (from the store) are small, and you can use SXHC SD cards to store music, photos, data, etc. Grabbed a 32GB and have a 64GB SD card installed - works really well, music or video - I'm storing photos and such on Skydrive now, and assuming the matching comes out for Xbox music in the future I can "store" my music there too eventually.

Also just tried the smartglass feature today and "sent" a movie I had purchased from the store to the Xbox, and it worked like a charm. Pretty sweet, honestly.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Sad, Panay touted how this is a 32GB device yet people are reporting only 16-17GB free at initial activation time. Sounds like fraud to me.

We were told the day of pricing that there would be ~20gb free. Pano himself said this in the AMA he did. And the surface box clearly states that 32gb is not the available space left after RT/Office.

This is why I bought a 64gb SDXC card.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I was impressed that at 8am the store was so packed there was barely room to move around.

Just a side note, I was given a free 1 month pass for Xbox music (must have obv given out all the 99$ ones)
@WP8NYC you should definately go back, you are supposed to get 12 months of free xbox music. I already have a Zune pass so im not sure what im going to do with the one i have, but i made sure i got it anyway.

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@WP8NYC you should definately go back, you are supposed to get 12 months of free xbox music. I already have a Zune pass so im not sure what im going to do with the one i have, but i made sure i got it anyway.

The 12 months free was only for the first 100 customers, no?

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The 12 months free was only for the first 100 customers, no?

Supposedly, although I got my surface today at the Kansas City microsoft store and they gave me the free pass, even though I just bought it ~ 2 hours ago. Nice to see smoledman still trollin' along

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes