10-26-2012 04:31 PM
35 12
tools
    Just thought id give an update on Surface availability. I went to the Times Square Microsoft store in NYC this morning at 8am. The store was packed with at least 100-150 people. Walked up the counter and purchased a Surface w/cover no problem.

Asked the sales person if they had a large stock left and he replied "I don't know for sure but we've been selling them non stop since last night and I expect well run out sometime today."

Not sure if that's true or not but glad I was able to get it so easily!

Now, time to un-box and check this beast out.

Happy surface day everyone!
    cheesemoo, blackprince and Muessig like this.
    10-26-2012 09:47 AM
    That's pretty impressive the amount they have in stock at launch if that's the case.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    10-26-2012 09:49 AM
    Agreed. I was impressed that at 8am the store was so packed there was barely room to move around.

Just a side note, I was given a free 1 month pass for Xbox music (must have obv given out all the 99$ ones)
    10-26-2012 09:51 AM
    So are Microsoft the only brick and mortar stores selling them? I am late to the surface info main interest is wp7/8

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-26-2012 10:00 AM
    I must have been in the Times Square store the same time as you, I also bought this morning! I hung around and did the in-store setup, which was a good thing since it wasn't liking my Gmail for some reason and wouldn't set up that e-mail account. But it got sorted finally (neither me nor the staff guy walking it through with me know why, it just went through). But other than that little hang-up, it is quite smooth and I am liking it so far! :)
    10-26-2012 10:12 AM
    So are Microsoft the only brick and mortar stores selling them? I am late to the surface info main interest is wp7/8

Yes for Surface, only MS Stores.

I must have been in the Times Square store the same time as you, I also bought this morning! I hung around and did the in-store setup, which was a good thing since it wasn't liking my Gmail for some reason and wouldn't set up that e-mail account. But it got sorted finally (neither me nor the staff guy walking it through with me know why, it just went through). But other than that little hang-up, it is quite smooth and I am liking it so far! :)
    Nice! Im just setting mine up now.
    10-26-2012 10:14 AM
    That 1 month free of Xbox music is cool.. Microsoft wins for that..

10-26-2012 10:22 AM
    Been using it for a little but and im VERY impressed thus far.

Just did an update check and there are already 4 updates:

windows defender
    update for IE flash player
    Microsoft camera codec pack
    Update for Windows RT
    10-26-2012 10:29 AM

windows defender
    Update for Windows RT
    Thanks for that, we didn't check that in store (plus I had to get to the office)...will check that when I get home.
    10-26-2012 10:32 AM
    Im in line in ca now. 30 min before opening. Only like 30 people here. I got a year music pass. :)
    blackprince likes this.
    10-26-2012 10:34 AM

windows defender
    Update for Windows RT
    Question - did they have any Windows Phone 8 phones at the store?
    10-26-2012 10:37 AM
    Just thought id give an update on Surface availability. I went to the Times Square Microsoft store in NYC this morning at 8am. The store was packed with at least 100-150 people. Walked up the counter and purchased a Surface w/cover no problem.

Asked the sales person if they had a large stock left and he replied "I don't know for sure but we've been selling them non stop since last night and I expect well run out sometime today."

Not sure if that's true or not but glad I was able to get it so easily!

Now, time to un-box and check this beast out.

Happy surface day everyone!
    where exactly is this microsoft store in times square? I was in times square last weekend but i guess i probably missed it. lol
    Last edited by De doublesman; 10-26-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Mistake
    10-26-2012 10:39 AM
    where exactly is this microsoft store in times square? I was in times square last weekend but i guess i probably missed it. lol
    On the corner of 45th and Broadway
    10-26-2012 10:50 AM
    On the corner of 45th and Broadway

Thanks!
    10-26-2012 11:08 AM
    Nope, not in Times Square, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went on display around Nov. 12.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    10-26-2012 11:11 AM
    Nope, not at this point in time.

@doublesman the store just opened last night which is why you didnt see it before - now you cant miss it.

Been using it now for a hour or so and thus far I LOVE IT. Everything is super smooth, very fast. Installing apps could not be easier. I was very surprised how easy it was to use the touch keyboard/cover and how well it responded. Just attached it and started typing as usual and no issue, punched out a few emails with ease - even the mouse pad works quite well.

Trying to figure out how to set the personalized lock screen now.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    10-26-2012 11:18 AM
    So the Surface has flash for IE? For some reason I was under the impression that it didn't. Awesome!!
    Last edited by MaulerX; 10-26-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
    10-26-2012 11:19 AM
    So the Surface has flash for IE? For some reason I was under the impression that it didn't. Awesome!!
    IE10 has embedded flash but it will not work for a lot of sites.

Most sites including youtube are slowly switching to HTML5 anyways.
    10-26-2012 11:26 AM
    so sad, i waited in line for almost 1.5 hours. I was told last week the store would open at 8am and asked if possible they could allow me to buy one earlier so i can get to work, they said no just tell my work im coming in late so i did. So after waiting for 1.5 hours and 8 passes i ask what time they are opening, first they said 8, and i said it is 8:10 now, then they said 10 im like wtf! then they came back and said 9, that point i was supposed to be at work by 9.

So i just left, what a terrible experience. Even the week before when i asked if i can preorder in store, they said yes come to the store, so i did, they saidi couldnt online only. Everyting online was sold out at that point.

Terrible experience, so i ended up leaving so i can get to work later than normal, thanks MS!

Oh ya, the reps there was advertising windows 8 on the surface too and had no clue how to explain xbox music. Pretty sad.
    10-26-2012 11:54 AM
    Got mine and love it. A little disappointed the OS games so much space. 17.1gb of free space on the 32gb version. Anyone know if I can redownload office rt if I decide to uninstall it?
    10-26-2012 12:19 PM
    Im in line in ca now. 30 min before opening. Only like 30 people here. I got a year music pass. :)
    By any chance is this the Valley Fair Cupertino store? Might stop by during lunch hour..
    10-26-2012 12:33 PM
    By any chance is this the Valley Fair Cupertino store? Might stop by during lunch hour..
    Yes it was, but that was around 730 this morning.

Not sure if it got bigger, i know they delayed the opening so that lines can get bigger so it looks like they are a lot of people.

I had to leave cuz they said it was going to open at 8 and ended up opening at 9, had to get to work. i am planning to get there too during lunch
    10-26-2012 12:42 PM
    Got mine and love it. A little disappointed the OS games so much space. 17.1gb of free space on the 32gb version. Anyone know if I can redownload office rt if I decide to uninstall it?
    Sad, Panay touted how this is a 32GB device yet people are reporting only 16-17GB free at initial activation time. Sounds like fraud to me.
    10-26-2012 01:08 PM
    Sad, Panay touted how this is a 32GB device yet people are reporting only 16-17GB free at initial activation time. Sounds like fraud to me.
    my sarcasm meter is faltering here.
    10-26-2012 01:15 PM
    I bought a 16 gb phone and only 12 is available!??? effu uuuuu!
    10-26-2012 01:19 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD