WinRT issue with JPG? ... Banding / Blotching Image Test

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE - Looks like just an issue for the Vivo RT, not the Surface.

Not sure sure if this is an issue with all RT devices?

Some RGB test patterns do not display correctly on the Asus Vivo RT
wondering how they look on the Surface RT?

You can find a few test images here:
720p Tests Photo Gallery by J. Vincent at pbase.com

Instead of a smooth gradient heavy banding is seen in the red, green a blue low end patterns.

Here's the blue pattern for example,
Should be a smooth color change with no banding.
How does it look on the Surface?
43863545.jpg

Last edited:

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I've tried 3 Vivo RT devices all have the banding issue with certain jpgs.

Hopefully someone with a Surface can comment on the test images in the original post...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem is many devices will display banding in these sorts of test images. It is an artifact of both jpg compression and display properties and resolution isn't always even the trigger. In my case, the Surface RT I own displays the least banding, the higher res screen of my laptop displays more obvious banding, and the high res monitor sitting on my desk displays the most. If you are experiencing genuine and distracting banding in real world use with actual images, you need to deal with getting the device serviced or (if it is a bona fide issue with a specific product) return it.

Feedback on these sorts of test images though are really 1) minimally informative at the best of times, and 2) extremely subjective. It is like when Nikon released the D200 DSLR years ago and a small number of the original production run had a sensor flaw that generated banding when a photo was taken of a very bright object in an otherwise dark setting. Everyone was suddenly taking pictures of light bulbs in dark rooms and lots of people were seeing things that were not apparent to anyone else. They also didn't like being asked how often they planned to photograph light bulbs in dark rooms? You could have 100 people chime in and get 100 different responses or, since this is a forum and forums always attract those who want to complain, 100 who think they see something but who wouldn't know what real banding was if you showed it to them in hard copy photograph. If it is a real problem in real images, it is your call and that of Asus but "test images" mostly bring out those referred to in the DSLR world as pixel peepers.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It's looks like this on a Vivo RT, tired 3 of them :(

Click to view quoted image

That is not what would typically be defined as banding, it is bona fide image degradation. It is also almost always going to be a hardware issue. This (sort of) demonstrates my previous point. You say banding and anyone I know in the DSLR world would think one thing and this is definitely not what they would be thinking. This is simply image display degradation and needs to be addressed with Asus....

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be an issue with the Asus Vivo RT driver.
Also have issues with the HDMI out, where video looks like that.

Here's another site with LCD monitor tests...
Contrast - Lagom LCD test

That scale displays correctly, but if I long press and save the image to Photos, when its viewed in photos its messed up. I'll see if I can report it to Asus .

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah hopefully they update it.

otherwise just wondering, how do you like the Vivo Tab? My gf really likes the surface and says she prefers it over her ipad...I think for her uses she may prefer the laptop dock.

Sonic77

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah hopefully they update it.

otherwise just wondering, how do you like the Vivo Tab? My gf really likes the surface and says she prefers it over her ipad...I think for her uses she may prefer the laptop dock.

What attracted me to it over the Surface was instant availability and it includes GPS. GPS worked fine, tried in the car with the RT tethered to my phone. My location was updated continuously in bing maps.

Also the keyboard dock includes a battery that I thought may be another advantage over the Surface. Over 16 hours of battery life when docked !

The screen looks somewhat pixelated but I'm used to a retina iPad,
so can't say how it compares to the Surface RT.
Its not a bad screen just lower res than I'd like if given a choice.

Wireless connection speed with my router is not the best.
Its offers only 2.4GHz single stream N . Top speed I've seen copying files from the network is about 2-3MB/sec. Streaming some videos resulted in stutters, so I had to copy them to the device.

It's amazingly thin and light, compared to an iPad 3.

As noted has minor video driver issues on the built in display
and major ones using 1080P HDMI out.

The 32GB Vivo RT has only about 16GB free out of the box.

It comes with a USB adaptor you plug into the main connector to attach keyboards etc.

Also you get the keyboard dock free from ASUS for a while if yours does not come with it already.

If they correct the video issues,
I'd recommend considering it if someone really wants an RT device.

I'm still not convinced RT is worth what its lacking over Clover Trail.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes