Choppy speaker (only while Surface screen is off)

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When I get emails or notifications while the Surface screen is off, it's very choppy, but with the screen on those same sounds are fine. I know this problem has been reported before, but I couldn't find much info in the forums.

What are people doing about this issue? Has Microsoft recognized the problem? I'm assuming it is not hardware related, so hopefully a software fix is in the works...and maybe we've already found a work-around/fix that I couldn't find.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same issue but I haven't worried about it. However, it is kind of annoying. It's only when my screen is off too. I did notice it started after I enabled higher sound in the desktop mode control panel. I'm sure that has something to do with it. I prefer the higher sound, so I just deal with it.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried out Windows Phone for a while back when it first came out, and my HTC did the same thing. My Lumia 920 and Surface RT does it too. I was kind of surprised that it hasn't been fixed yet, but it must me low priority. Like @nuprorocol says, I just deal with it. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me.

iHeartInfoTech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm also getting the same audio issue. Brought it to a pop-up kiosk (no onsite techs at pop-up locations) but we were not able to replicate it even after sending a few emails from my phone (the noisy mall didn't help & they never heard of the issue). We disabled audio enhancements thinking it might help. I'd not seen this post until today but as you have probably already guessed, the issue has surfaced again. I personally find it very annoying and have an appointment at a Microsoft (brick and mortar) store Friday the 7th. I'll be sure to update here what I was told by the Techs.

iHeartInfoTech

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I went to the Microsoft Store at the mall; we sent about 45 emails and could not replicate the issue. Twice the tech walked away and I was able to get the choppy sound (figures). He spoke with him manager and they decided to just replace my unit and transfer over my 'Microsoft Complete' insurance all with a new purchase date of Friday Dec, 7th. (They did not use and instance on my Microsoft Complete to process this) They termed my unit defective even though he had yet to hear the choppy speaker. Finally just before we wiped the drive on my old Surface the choppy speaker sounded and he heard it. According to the tech this is not a known issue and so I suggest maybe if you're having this issue try getting the unit replaced.

I'm monitoring for the sound and have not heard it yet. Will update this thread if I do.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Same thing with the Surface I had. When the screen went dark while streaming Bluetooth, the sound was throttled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes