E-Mail App Woes

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
We just purchased a Microsoft Surface for our CEO. I was a little upset to see the mail app doesn't support POP3. He insists on using his old email address from another provider and they do not support IMAP.

So, I decided to receive his POP3 via Outlook.com. I added his old email account to the settings on Outlook.com (his Microsoft account is his old email, no problem there) but never could receive email. So, I decided to remove and re-add the account.

Now, I am stuck with "It looks like you already added this account. If you recently deleted the account and are trying to add it again, please try again later".

When is "later?" He is not a patient man and I need this fixed ASAP.

Thanks!
Brian

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) He may not be a patient person but that doesn't change the fact that the system works the way it does. Later can be a few hours or a few days.
2) You should have done your homework before purchasing since the POP limitation is well documented.
3) Yes, you get the message about "try again later" with Outlook.com when trying to re-add but you also got a message when you deleted the account. The system has to purge the deleted account and until that is complete it cannot be re-added. In the future, if you want to test something, don't test with a real account. Set up a dummy account.
4) FWIW, all of my old Microsoft email accounts forward to my outlook.com address, as does occasional email to the email account that came with my high speed cable modem. When you first set up the forward, it may take awhile for mail to start forwarding. If you get impatient though and delete the account, all you are doing is complicating matters. Outlook.com support could have helped you with this if you went to them as a start with the problem forwarding mail.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
We got it working via POP in Outlook.com. If he doesn't like the delay in getting POP email or the fact it has that "hotmail_65f5df5d4d49ef649a9bac4d@live.com; on behalf of; name email@domain.net" in the email header, this may be a great time to get him to change. We can just forward all emails from the old address to the new.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon