Are you going to buy a Microsoft Surface 2 Tablet?

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Simple- It doesn't run old Windows apps, it doesn't have a great app selection of its own, and devices running it are no cheaper than devices running full Windows, including some really nice laptops. And honestly, that logic is hard to argue with.

I like it and see its potential, but for most people it just does not make sense.

To me though, the Surface shows exactly why and how Windows RT can work.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand why people didn't like the first RT. Please explain

its not that people didn't like it... At 500usd it had one benefit, MS Office, everything else... Well an iPad was arguably better. This made the target audience a niche. Add that it was. RT... The market quickly released x86 devices that were comparable. Like now with the Asus t100.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I really want a Surface 2 but I do have one major reservation. My RT already does most of what I want from a tablet except one major thing - good games. While I do love playing games, I really don't like to play anything on a 4.5" screen. My Lumia 920 has a lot of good games that I would really like to buy, but screen size is the biggest barrier. Surface 2 has a nice 10" screen @ 1080p, good for tablet gaming. Support for Xbox 360 controllers. HDMI so I can output to a larger monitor. And of course the Tegra 4 which can handle bigger and more complex games. Unfortunately, there simply aren't that many games available. It's a major problem. Even going with a Bay Trail tablet only kinda fixes the problem. x86 opens up a wider variety of games, but all benchmarks I've seen show that the T4 and BT are really close in performance, and many of the x86 games that I want to play are going to run pretty bad. And let's be real, I'm gonna be pretty upset the first time my tablet crashes because of a bad driver/software installation. I don't want to worry about repairs when I'm mobile.

So my one reservation is that RT needs more games. They're not coming and I don't see any signs of it picking up. So while I may be disappointed by the performance of running games on Bay Trail, something is better than nothing.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind some more action oriented games like NOVA 3, Modern Combat 4 or even Six-Gun. Plus more racers, platformers and RPGs.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Finally preordered 64GB surface 2. I really like my surface rt and the same about the surface 2 being a nice step in the right direction, but not a major upgrade. Ultimately I still upgraded. First because I was going to anyhow and second because the performance is better and the new accessories that will only work with the surface 2 or pro. I could not justify the pro... My xps13 still is a better mobile full pc package, even though the surface handles almost 85% of my mobile workload.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I know this is not happening in the near future, but I'd love to see PC games get WinRT ports. Not even anything too fancy- just smaller indie titles like Minecraft would be nice to see, although that one in particular will never happen due to the lack of java support. But I'm sure there are plenty of games that could make the transition if there was developer interest

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I know this is not happening in the near future, but I'd love to see PC games get WinRT ports. Not even anything too fancy- just smaller indie titles like Minecraft would be nice to see, although that one in particular will never happen due to the lack of java support. But I'm sure there are plenty of games that could make the transition if there was developer interest

I remember following the develtopment progress of Game Dev Tycoon. The full version of the game was available for x86 devices but not Windows RT due to performance issues. It took them a while but evenbtually they were able to get it good enough to release it for RT devices, though performance still wasn't great. Considering the Tegra 4 has amuch improved GPU over Tegra 3 I'm with you, really hoping some full fledged PC games make it over to the Windows Store and are compiled for ARM. I'm curious though how difficult it is to code for WinRT? Haven't heard too much from developers on that front.

Quick question, the surface ships on the 21st so we get them on the 22nd right?

That's correct. Though in my experience with pre-ordering various devices in the past it may arrive a day or 2 late depending on your location, weather factors, etc.

Its not worth it for $499 when one can buy a Nexus 7 for $199.

If the Nexus 7 had the same functionality as the Surface RT I would agree.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am waiting for someone to start to drop surface pro inventory and really reduce the price. However, I am starting to think of picking up a surface 2 instead.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I think you meant to say it's not worth $449 when you can buy a Nexus 10 for $399. Too bad the Nexus 10 doesn't come with a built in kick stand and Win 8.1 RT otherwise I'd agree.
I have both a Nexus 7 and a HP Envy x2. The only only reason the N7 comes to work with me is because of Sirius XM not being able on Windows 8. Otherwise, the x2 is my daily driver for anything else.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I will pass on this generation. I will wait until the Surface becomes a desktop replacement (instead of the current laptop replacement status). I'm sure it's heading in the right direction.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
LOL I forgot about my main point (Because I'm distracted by my kids) which is, that now I wish I'd waited for the Surface 2 since is looking awful good. Not that there's anything wrong with the x2 because I do like it a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2