Windows 8.1 RT pulled from Store

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If people's surfaces needed replacing it sounds like they updated it without it being plugged in so the battery died mid update which caused the surface to be useless due to not having an OS fully installed. I had mine plugged in and everything went fine.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
If people's surfaces needed replacing it sounds like they updated it without it being plugged in so the battery died mid update which caused the surface to be useless due to not having an OS fully installed. I had mine plugged in and everything went fine.
The battery dying mid-update was not the problem...nor was it reported as occurring.

Just because you had yours plugged in and everything went fine means absolutely nothing to anyone else. I was eating a Nestle Drumstick ice cream cone when I updated mine and everything went fine... conclusion: Make sure to eat ice cream while updating your RT!

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this has to do with my issue of not being able to sign into the Store anymore? Just happening on my RT (that is updated to 8.1), my desktop and laptop are fine.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in and state that if indeed it ends up being a manufacturing defect, that will be a huge issue for Microsoft. How could they then justify keeping the original Surface on the market and for sale if it won't even be able to be upgraded to the latest OS version. Will be very interesting to see what comes of this. I have been seriously considering getting the original Surface recently, figures this would occur. I sure wish Microsoft would figure **** out, not just this, but everything they do. They are like that employee or athlete that has so much potential but ends up sabotaging themselves with every move and mistake they make. And of course, the tech sites have already pounced on this news and are slamming them. More negative press they can't afford and shouldn't have had to deal with if they could just start getting things right.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I updated to 8.1 without any problems too. The download and update both went smoothly. The only issue I have is that none of my Windows devices (Lumia 822, 8.1 laptop and 8.1 Surface will connect to each other via Bluetooth. My laptop and Lumia used to connect without issue. Ironic...

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm glad I did the ISO route, I got my RTM to GA on the same day of release. My Surface RT is working excellently.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
You guys have to understand the rep told me "very few people with surface rt had this issue, we pulled the update so there would be no further problems. We care about our customers" word by word what the rep told me.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So those who have not updated won't be able to from the store. No problem. Geez, I don't get it. I have not searched for official word but I would not like it if I were in this predicament.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This smells exactly what I experienced on the update right before 8.1. It isn't rendered useless though, you just have to do a safe mode recovery and get your bitlocker key. the other thing I will say is we aren't sure this is effecting surface but could be dell, Asus or Lenovo rt devices. Ars Technica was making it sound like only Surface was affected.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Well there were 3 more updates that installed automatically this morning. Since then, IE seems to have stabilized. We'll see how it goes. If it's fixed it's nice they did it so quickly. However if it was so easy to fix it's another inexcusable mistake to begin with.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Seems like it's just the surface having major problems with the update. How Microsoft is having problems updating the software on it's hardware devices just seems totally lame. Now they are overreacting so as to not have bad publicity which is understandable since everyone takes every opportunity to bash and vilify them.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just called Microsoft and have been confirmed with the fact that it isn't the update that is killing the RT its been the process of installing that has caused blue screens, etc. He also notified me that this is happening most likely because of a manufacturing defect.

This is interesting. Mine updated without any problems at all. I wonder why some updated fine and others had problems. The lack of uniformity in computer issues has always baffled me, as a non-computer scientist.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I updated mine on the day it was released with no issues. I am now waiting for it to be back in the store so that I can update my wife's Surface RT.

I do like 8.1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon