39 12
tools
    The Surface can't be owned by pretentious pricks
    calfee20 likes this.
    10-31-2013 07:33 AM
    Damn that was mine.Ha
    10-31-2013 09:04 AM
    Wow, I didn't expect this many responses already.

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see the capability gaps are that usually hush-hush in reviews, iPad user communities, etc. We don't hear a lot about iPad limitations from editors, and my obvious suspicion is because most are accustomed to viewing tablets through a single lens which fits the iPad's consumption model but ignores other tablet consumption models out there... like the Surface.

In reading a lot of these responses (which is helpful as I have never owned an iPad but have owned other iOS devices), it's clear that there are a ton of things that, current state, iPad could not do either well or at all because of an innate limitations. Though it seems that the Surface actually has the potential to do everything the iPad does plus more given that the missing apps were made available.

It seems pretty clear that critics are harsher on the Surface due to a limited app selection than they are about the iPad which has limitations that can never be fixed by apps.
    berty6294, lumianut, rav16 and 1 others like this.
    10-31-2013 10:39 AM
    Wow, I didn't expect this many responses already.

The reason I asked is because I wanted to see the capability gaps are that usually hush-hush in reviews, iPad user communities, etc. We don't hear a lot about iPad limitations from editors, and my obvious suspicion is because most are accustomed to viewing tablets through a single lens which fits the iPad's consumption model but ignores other tablet consumption models out there... like the Surface.

In reading a lot of these responses (which is helpful as I have never owned an iPad but have owned other iOS devices), it's clear that there are a ton of things that, current state, iPad could not do either well or at all because of an innate limitations. Though it seems that the Surface actually has the potential to do everything the iPad does plus more given that the missing apps were made available.

It seems pretty clear that critics are harsher on the Surface due to a limited app selection than they are about the iPad which has limitations that can never be fixed by apps.
    I have noticed, as you stated, a lot of reviews assume the deciding factor is what ever the apple product does well. Apps is the measuring stick now, I remember when the iPhone camera was a big factor. every review I have read regarding he surface as it compares to an ipad does not really talk hardware (usb port, hdmi, memory card, etc) unless it is weight. that seems strange. I do think some ones needs could definitely point them to another tablet like an Ipad, but to totally ignore the functionality of the surface, or any other non ipad tablet for that matter, just tells you how much weight a tech review should hold.
    10-31-2013 11:32 AM
    at least until I finally buy one ZING
    christenmartin and chezm like this.
    10-31-2013 12:05 PM
    I'm sorry but how is that a logical conclusion to come to based on the evidence in the previous posts and what you have seen in the real world - have you seen any old guys buying surface tablets to brag, and have you seen any girls that express their love towards iPads

Bearing in mind that a lot of girls are iSheep so that statement may hold some weight, but still, last time i checked girls didn't judge guys on their tablet lol.

Please could you come up with some proof to backup your argument before coming on here and blurting out stuff
    Am I the only one who thinks he was just being funny/sarcastic?
    10-31-2013 12:07 PM
    yup
    10-31-2013 12:57 PM
    No. I also thought he was just joking (or possibly trolling)...
    10-31-2013 05:36 PM
    To me the main things are USB 3.0, Office, and the ability to have multiple apps on view together, which I use more in the desktop environment than in "Metro". Finally, skateboarding :-)
    Bartdog likes this.
    11-02-2013 06:08 AM
    Who said one can't be productive on the Surface? I can't run traditional desktop apps, true, but yes I can SSH / RDP / VNC and that's all I need :-)

2013_11_02_17_57_40_hdr.jpg
    11-02-2013 12:04 PM
    The surface might actually be a really good granny computer today just because you have the ability to plug it in like that and get a lot of the basic functionality of a desktop PC. If you don't use much more than the browser and email, I could definitely see myself recommending it to someone older just because they then can't mess up everything with malware and tool bars.

Given that my grandmother, who used to work as a secretary, complains about the keyboard on her 17 inch laptop, I can only imagine the reaction if someone tried to get her to do the occasional writing on an iPad...
    11-03-2013 02:56 AM
    A wise man once said "The thought of our enemy sustains us. It is how we exist."
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 11-10-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Grammar
    11-10-2013 10:30 AM

enough said.
    Reflexx likes this.
    11-11-2013 04:51 PM
    This is my current rig, working on a School prodject, talking to my Group(facebook), and a friend(skype) and typing in my report in Word while using a full desktop browser (IE11) checking up a finans formula which Im using in Excel, while running OneNote to show me which Group room we're going to use tomorrow for the Group prodject while Reading email in Outlook and checking up on background data from a pdf in Adobe Reader touch. for those who were counting, I'm using 8 apps, at the same time split over two screens....in my lap....in a Chair.... oh! and I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse Connected (although, only the Logitech Bluetooth dongle is viseblue in the frame)

This is what makesd the ipad a toy in compairason, this is PC grade ADD Multitasking abilities...
    Attached Thumbnails 2013-11-12-6904.jpg  
    11-12-2013 07:30 PM
39 12