Problems with closing/multitasking with running apps since updating to 8.1

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Surface for a few months now and love it. I loved it on 8 and I would love it even more on 8.1 if apps behaved the way they should. Before, if I would swipe down to close an app, it would really close it. Now, it's as if I never closed it and kept it running.

Let's say I am in IE on Windows Phone Central. I swipe down to close the app and then open up the Facebook app. Then I close or minimize Facebook to open up IE again and it opens up to WPC. I don't get why apps don't truly close anymore. And no, it has nothing to do with my browser home page setting as this is the case with every single app. Let's say I am on the Amazon app looking at phone accessories and then CLOSE the app by swiping down (not minimizing and keeping running by pressing the Windows button), go about my business, and then open up Amazon later and there are the phone cases as if I left the app running. Which I didn't.

The only way that I can get any app to open to the main screen/opening screen of the app is if I close it, then open it back up immediately and close it again. Even so, when I open it later, it will be as if I never even closed it since it is just opening up to the screen I left it as.

The last scenario is if I close an app and then lock my Surface and come back later to open that app, it will be sitting there as if I opened up an app that I left running.

My main question is: why won't apps truly close? I don't like this at all. It's annoying for privacy reasons along with it just being inconvenient. I close an app because I am done with it and when I open it again, I plan on starting something new. If I wanted to pick up where I left off, I would have left it running. Is there anything I can do to change this or is this just the way it is?

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yep, tombstoned, just like on the phone. Apps that aren't written for it suck. Like Pulse, doesn't refresh often enough! Last pass also keeps your session open even if you have a pin...many examples...

Ctrl, Shift, esc...task manager is your friend.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, tombstoned, just like on the phone. Apps that aren't written for it suck. Like Pulse, doesn't refresh often enough! Last pass also keeps your session open even if you have a pin...many examples...

Ctrl, Shift, esc...task manager is your friend.

Wow... that is just awful. Thanks for the quick answer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs