New here! Top apps?

Have Heart

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't find any thread talking about top apps that every surface rt user need to have. Can anyone tell me what apps i need? any app to see movies with srt subtitles or listening to music, it is possible to install Windows media player?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.
To say the truth I haven't been too excited about apps available for the RT.
There's no way I know of to get WMP.
Media apps are pretty much lacking in the store.

Far as apps needed depends on you.

My main apps are:
Word
IE or UC browsers

Not much else honestly.

Have fun!

Have Heart

May 4, 2012
Visit site
But someone told me in the future will be available more apps because of the windows phone apps right? Or what is going to happen?

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
But someone told me in the future will be available more apps because of the windows phone apps right? Or what is going to happen?
Whoever told you that was indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. Microsoft recently presented a cross-platform development architecture that is supposed to allow developers to easily develop apps for multiple platforms. Microsoft has made similar promises in the past. None of them have been very successful. Not only for technical reasons but because it requires developers to get on board with the program.

All that to say, unfortunately there is no relief in sight for the application situation for Windows RT.

Other people have taken the comment by Microsoft of their plan to merge the Windows Phone and Windows app stores as a sign of apps being cross platform. But technically all that means is that there will be a single store that will filter apps displayed depending upon the device browsing the store.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
reddhub for reddit.
news bento ̣̣newsreader
camcard for business cards.
skitch touch. for annotating pictures, diagrams
vlc. video/audio
toolbox.
network speed test
pc monitor
iheartradio, tunein, pradio, netflix, vevo, nick, tmz
theChive, wonderwall
nbcnews, espn (has ESPN insider content for free as well!!!)
trackage, amazon, newegg
here maps, skyscanner, flightaware
winbeta, wikipedia, techcrunch
perfect365, photofunia, face goo
text now

there are a bunch of nice games as well. pinball fx2. pac man championship edition. despicable me minion run, rayman jungle run. rayman fiesta run. microsoft minesweeper, microsoft mahjong, microsoft solitaire collection, microsoft taptiles, supermarket mania 2, halo spartan assault, jetpack joyride, endless skater, asphalt airborne 8, the gunstringer, hexic, uno & friends, world series of poker, cut the rope, wordament, emu7800, snes8x

there's a bunch if you're willing to look. If you only want big-name apps that are also on other platforms (stuff like netflix, hulu, kindle, instagram, etc.), you'll find a lot of gaps. But if you're willing to just look for apps, there's some gems out there that people on other platforms don't have. it doesn't have to be a crossplatform app to be good.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The following are the apps that I have - most of them I do use from time to time - obviously, some more than others!

Office (OneNote in Modern UI mode)
IE
Adobe reader/ Foxit
Bing News / Nextgen reader/ Flipboard/ News Republic/ News Bento
Tube Save/ YouTube Player/ Metro Tube
Reddhub
Metro Media Player/ Media Monkey/ Metro Commander/ Multimedia 8 (still looking for that one "excellent" pure media playing app!)
Bing Travel/ Expedia Hotels/ Wego Travel/ Trip Advisor
Bing Food and Drink
Freda Reader/ Fiction Book Reader Lite/ Book Bazaar Reader
Twitter
Currency Converter
Clock (I forget the exact name)
HP Scan and Capture
Here Maps
Reading List
Viber (though I have never used it on my Surface 2)
Chess (Lv 100)
BT WiFi
Fresh Paint (though I have never really used it)
Netflix (for when I sign up!!!!)
Windows Phone (though I think I may uninstall this)

The one app that I am waiting for - but there is no sign of it coming - is the one from my Bank (Barclays, UK). They have an app for Win Phone which is very good (and which I do use), but it would great if I could have it on my Surface 2! When I had asked them late last year, they said they were working on it (I think they were lying). They also have an app for the iPad, which I also use from time to time.

Edit: Notice that none of the apps that I have listed are apps that I have bought. They are all free unlike what I did at the Apple Store (for my iPad) where I spent around ?15 within the first 30 minutes after setting up the device. In the Apple store, I basically bought a PDF app (actually two of them), and a couple of other productivity apps (the names of which I forget). Odd isn't it!!!! But I hope to correct the situation shortly as I just got a MS Store Card which I can use for both my Surface 2 and my Win Phone!!!!

Last edited:

Have Heart

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys!

Anyone know if it is possible to run any program to scrobbling my tracks to last fm? I use lastfm so it is important to me. And any news from vlc team ? Any release date about vlc surface rt version?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you guys!

Anyone know if it is possible to run any program to scrobbling my tracks to last fm? I use lastfm so it is important to me. And any news from vlc team ? Any release date about vlc surface rt version?

That's a question many people are asking and there aren't any tangible answers yet. Of course, VLC has released a Modern UI app for the Win 8.1 x86 platform, but I have not installed it because I already have their non-MUI version, which is stable and works just fine unlike their latest venture.

Have Heart

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait then. Thanks

I don't want to create another thread so i?ll ask here. It is possible to add IE metro version to task bar? The option is there but when i click to add IE to the taskbar they add IE desktop version and i don't want that. Thanks

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
yeah, I wish you could pin the Metro IE to the taskbar as well... hopefully they fix that.

as for VLC on Windows RT, they did say they want to do that. but they're not a huge team. they still need to work on the x86 version to make it better. I can't wait for the Xbox One version (which they strongly hinted many times)!

I've never been a fan of VLC on desktop x86. I'd rather install codecs and have universal support through all the video players rather than having codecs built into only VLC and using VLC for everything. I like having full codec support for Media Player Classic, etc. However, I do recognize that VLC is excellent which is why I'm anxious for a Windows RT version as media players on that are lacking (especially with MKV support).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon