New Surface RT owner, needs some tips.

KawiNinjaZX

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I just got my surface rt yesterday from eBay (new 64gb with touch cover). I charged it up and did all the updates. Got a few questions and looking for a few suggestions.

1. Is there a way to "cleanup" the tablet after doing all the updates besides disk cleanup and deleting the temp folders?

2. Any tweaks to the OS or especially IE. Performance on IE is inconsistent, usually pretty quick, then sometimes unresponsive. Is there an ad blocker?

3. I knew before I bought it that the app selection is limited. Any really good games or apps to recommend? I also heard there are some apps you can side load, any good info on that?

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks guys.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations!! on the smart move. If you block the ad's by adding tracking protection from here. That definitely boosts the peformance of IE and gets rid of annoying ad's.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Run "Disk Cleanup", select the "Clean up system files" button (and wait, and wait, but it will come back), then select just about everything. Especially "Windows updates files" (or to that effect). This will clean up quite a bit of disk space and make thing a bit "snappier".

The other thing is "defragment and Optimize Drives". Yea, it's a solid state drive, so it really doesn't do a real defrag, but it does run the SSD Trim command, which sometimes you might notice a speed improvement.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Those are great tips. I'd also recommend creating a bootable thumbdrive for the restore image but DON'T delete the restore partition. You may find the need to refresh/restore your Surface RT and having the restore partition is very handy. But in very rare instances the entire drive could get corrupted, requiring a restore from a USB drive.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Those are great tips. I'd also recommend creating a bootable thumbdrive for the restore image but DON'T delete the restore partition. You may find the need to refresh/restore your Surface RT and having the restore partition is very handy. But in very rare instances the entire drive could get corrupted, requiring a restore from a USB drive.
Good catch!!

Always, ALWAYS, make a recovery disk (CD, DVD, USB drive, etc.) when you get a new computer. Then store it in a safe place. You never know when you'll need it (especially when the hard drive dies and you need to replace it, or if you can upgrade it to a larger drive if possible).

I just wish computer manufactures would just allow us to download copies of the recovery media. Especially now with UFEI BIOS's that embed the Windows key inside.

KawiNinjaZX

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
So far it seems to be working solid, IE gets a little unresponsive sometimes but overall not bad for a Tegra 3. I downloaded a fun racing game that looks and runs great.

I like how I can watch a YouTube video then click a link for twitch and watch a livestream, very cool.

Any really good games for the surface rt? I'm not above buying ones either.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Lots of decent games, where to start Halo Spartan Assault, Machinarium, ilomilo, Cut The Rope, the entire Where's My Water series from Disney, and from Microsoft, Minesweeper, Mahjong and Bingo (all 3 are free).

That's a decent start..

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Snes8x (Super Nintendo Emulator) +Xbox 360 controller=Bliss. On top of all the games mentioned by wiseguywood, they all can use the controller minus maybe wheres my water. Asphalt 7 is a great racer game (8 on the original RT is pretty choppy). Nothing better than to pop the kickstand out and get some gaming on with a 360 controller.

KawiNinjaZX

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Any idea how to get a PS3 controller to work? I use motionjoy on my pc for titanfall and I paired it to my old Nexus 7 and had all the emulators running. Not really an XBOX guy, usually go with the PS, any other emulators out?

KawiNinjaZX

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I am used to it, I have been playing with that style since PS1. I played halo 1 and 2, but very little with the 360 controller, I can't get used to it. Also I have a PS3 so I have a spare controller.

KawiNinjaZX

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
After using this device for a while I have to say, Microsoft really screwed this thing up. This is a great device. First off the build quality is among the best out of any device I have used, and the snap keyboard and kickstand are awesome. The full IE, while occasionally sluggish, is so versatile you can do almost anything. The Tegra 3 is a solid processor, though not neck snapping fast, it does the job. The camera does suck.

Microsoft could of had something here. The marketing along with the Pro really confused people. They should have made it clear what windows rt is all about, not leaving people scratching their heads wondering what they bought. If windows rt had been more successful and thus had a more robust app store, this device cold compete with any tablet easily. I hope rt and windows phone os merge so we can get a real app store, which is the main shortcoming. If we are lucky we will see support from Microsoft for at least a few more years, I would hate to have to give up on this device.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
The main issue with the Surface RT was that when it launched, it had a zero ecosystem. Many of the apps were poor or nonexistent. And this was something that was out of Microsoft's hand (you can't force developers to develop but Microsoft tried to entice through financial incentives). Now the ecosystem of apps is night and day with when the device launched. Still could be much better. But at least now there are alternatives to most desktop programs. But it's too late with many people because that first impression is lasting. I'll talk to someone who says there are no apps and ask him if he tried so and so and he'll say no. Then the next app and still a no. Then a confession that he didn't look at metro apps since the beginning. If the device was reviewed today, the focus would be on the speed. When it was released back then, the focus was on lack of apps.

But 8.1 made a huge difference with usability (variable tiles, adĵustable splitscreen, better Mail app, etc.).

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Any idea how to get a PS3 controller to work? I use motionjoy on my pc for titanfall and I paired it to my old Nexus 7 and had all the emulators running. Not really an XBOX guy, usually go with the PS, any other emulators out?

well, you might have to bite the bullet and get a 360 controller (or third-party 360 controller). that does work with the Surface RT out of the box. Many games are designed to recognize it too.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I like HydroThunder, Riptide, and ChessPro. Yes I'm boring.
I also don't use my keyboard for the SP. I use it as a pure tablet. I do wish it was just a tad faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes