External DVD on Surface 3

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that an external USB powered DVD drive will work with the Surface 3. I don't need to burn disks just want to be able to read and install stuff.

Many thanks
John

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Works just fine. And since it's a usb3 port, you can even use an external BD player/burner with no issues. One obvious: There is no built in DVD-Video, so you'll need to install a 3rd party program if you want to watch movies directly from DVD media.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Well... it might be a hit or miss. I bought my Surface 3 with windows 10 installed and I'm having trouble with my Samsung SE-128. It ran beautifully on my yoga 11s and that thing was picky about DVD drives..

So not all drives play the same....

I plan on downgrading to windows 8.1. I already called the nearest Microsoft store and they have an image that they can burn onto my surface EMC.
I really miss one note for 8.1 and the ability to see multiple tiles on the star menu. the charms bar worked seamless compared to the current cog set up

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
You might need to get a USB hub with power adapter.

The USB port might not provide enough power for the external drive.

see that's what bags me the most. USB 3.0 puts out more juice than 2.0. My Drive runs fine on 2.0. So it has me wondering why it won't work! The surface should run the drive without issues. so it leaves me to wonder if the driver is the rear problem

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I tried my external Blu-ray drive, which is basically a laptop drive in an enclosure (USB 3.0), and the Surface had a fit, popping up warnings about over voltages (I think that's what it was), even with the tablet power cable plugged in. I wanted to use it to burn a Windows 10 DVD (didn't have a spare USB stick at the time) for use if I do a clean install. The enclosure has a power plug, and came with a USB cable to suit, so I just plugged that into my phone charger that was next to me and it worked fine. A shame it needed the extra cable, takes away portability.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
So what is everyone using that actually works and doesn't require a power adapter

Please stare the following OS, Brand and model number please

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes