Slow internet and download speed on Surface 3, what could be wrong?

fanta182

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Slow internet and download speed on Surface 3

I am facing slow internet speed and download speed on my Surface 3, 128 GB Model running windows 10. I tried using wifi at home to download a small file of 30 MB simultaneously on my laptop and surface 3. It took less than a minute for my laptop but surface 3 took around 25 mins.

I tried speed test on both and my laptop shows 10 mbps speed whereas surface 3 shows 1.5 mbps.

Is there something wrong with the wifi adapter of surface or the driver. Pl help.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Slow internet and download speed on Surface 3

I've heard of a lot of people having issues with the WiFi driver after the Win10 update, so you're not alone. It's not the WiFi adapter hardware in the Surface, it's the drivers. Try making sure you have the latest drivers and Windows updates. I've also read that some have seen improvements by turning off location services (settings/privacy/location) as a temporary workaround.

I don't have a Surface anymore myself, but recently solved some networking issues I was having with my desktop PC by using the following:

Open an elevated command prompt (right click on Start and select Command Prompt Admin.

On the command line type netcfg -d and hit enter.

Restart the Surface. This will reset your network configuration to default settings. It's worth a shot!

Let us know what happens...

Noel Salonga

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site

I followed your instructions. And lo and behold my internet connection is still verryyyyy slooooooow. I am getting frustrated with this issue with Microsoft Surface 3. Microssoft must resolve this soonest.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I followed your instructions. And lo and behold my internet connection is still verryyyyy slooooooow. I am getting frustrated with this issue with Microsoft Surface 3. Microssoft must resolve this soonest.

Check you see if OneDrive is transferring data in the background:

Click the ^ in the task bar > Hover over the OneDrive icon - if it shows the data is 'Transferring' - then > Right Click the OneDrive icon > click 'pause syncing' > select a period of time. Check to see if that speeds things up for the period of time you paused the sync.

Works for me on my SP3.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site

Maybe unplug your 14.4bps modem?

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon