Bluetooth Pairing With Windows Phone

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else attempted to pair a Surface Pro 2 with a Windows Phone? I have the Lumia 928, and the progress bar for pairing will appear, disappear when it's about halfway through, then report that it's connected for about 5 seconds. Then, it loses the connection. If I force it to connect again, it will stay connected for a few seconds, then lose it again.

Argh.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my 928 but I have the RT 1. It connects for a few seconds and then disconnects. Maybe it's a 928 problem?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's because they both see each other as portable devices. They will transfer files but not stream audio. This has been the case with every surface with every OS version from the very start.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
To transfer files you must go to Desktop and right click on the Bluetooth icon in the app tray, then Send/Receive files.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
That's odd... I wonder if there's a way to get around that. I actually wanted to give bluetooth internet sharing a try on the SP2, since it doesn't have a LTE connection.

Edit: I am able to pair it with my Dell laptop running 8.1. Blah.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That's odd... I wonder if there's a way to get around that. I actually wanted to give bluetooth internet sharing a try on the SP2, since it doesn't have a LTE connection.

Edit: I am able to pair it with my Dell laptop running 8.1. Blah.

Ive been trying to find a way... been unsuccessful.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Forgot to mention that I have GDR3 loaded on my 928, and this was part of the update:

• Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone’s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
"Windows 8.1 devices" implies that it will work with the Surface Pro. Huge bummer that it doesn't...

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have an l820 with GDR3 and an acer w3-810 tablet with 8.1 and it's working for me. Semi useful since when you disconnect it does not turn the internet sharing connection off. You still need to do that manually.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an l820 with GDR3 and an acer w3-810 tablet with 8.1 and it's working for me. Semi useful since when you disconnect it does not turn the internet sharing connection off. You still need to do that manually.
Congratulations... you have managed to further bum me out. :unhappy:

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if you've had any luck with this yet, but I had the same issue when trying to pair my Lumia 920 with my Surface Pro. Although it appears that they are not connected, the Internet Sharing does indeed work. Once you've successfully paired the two devices, ignore the fact that they disconnect a few seconds later. Next, click the WiFi icon in the system tray and you should see your Lumia's Internet Sharing network name appear (you may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear in the list). Simply click on it like you would any other network you normally connect to and you'll see that it works and your Lumia's WiFi connection is still off. However, like some else mentioned it does not automatically turn Internet Sharing off when you disconnect from the network on the Surface, but at least your WiFi radio remains off. There is now absolutely no need to have a separate data plan for your 8.1 tablet device if you have a Windows Phone 8 device with Update 3.

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you've had any luck with this yet, but I had the same issue when trying to pair my Lumia 920 with my Surface Pro. Although it appears that they are not connected, the Internet Sharing does indeed work. Once you've successfully paired the two devices, ignore the fact that they disconnect a few seconds later. Next, click the WiFi icon in the system tray and you should see your Lumia's Internet Sharing network name appear (you may have to wait a few seconds for it to appear in the list). Simply click on it like you would any other network you normally connect to and you'll see that it works and your Lumia's WiFi connection is still off. However, like some else mentioned it does not automatically turn Internet Sharing off when you disconnect from the network on the Surface, but at least your WiFi radio remains off. There is now absolutely no need to have a separate data plan for your 8.1 tablet device if you have a Windows Phone 8 device with Update 3.
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try when I get my lunch break.

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Darn. I was hoping that this Bluetooth tethering would bypass Verizon's data plan requirement (my wife has unlimited and doesn't want to give it up, so we can't move to the shared data plan).

Otherwise, it would have worked.

I'm with you on that one. I'm grandfathered into ATT's unlimited data plan, and don't want to lose it to upgrade my plan to a data sharing one so I'm in the same boat as you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon