Click-and-drag and right-click button on the new touchpads?

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
On both the Type Cover 2 and Touch Cover 2 touchpad, I can't figure out how to:

1. use the right touchpad button (in lieue of tapping with two fingers)
  2. click-and-drag (to move a window on the Desktop for example)

From Microsoft's instructions below, I think the color-coded sections might be wrong, but can anyone confirm?

Microsoft Surface Touchpad: A built-in mouse | Surface touchpad settings

The Touch Cover and Touch Cover 2 touchpad buttons are flat and don’t move when you press them.

The Type Cover and Type Cover 2 touchpad buttons click when you press them.

On both kinds of Covers, the left and right buttons are separated by a vertical line at the bottom of the touchpad.

Touchpad gestures available on all Typing Covers

• Right click: Tap two fingers anywhere on the touchpad -or- Press the right touchpad button
  • Left-click and drag: Hold the left touchpad button down and then slide a finger in any direction -or- Tap, then tap and slide one finger in any direction

I keep trying to tap on the bottom-right area of the touchpad that's supposed to represent the right button, no go.

I also tried moving the mouse cursor to the top frame of a window (in Desktop mode), then tapping once, then tapping a second time and holding my finger down to try to move the window. This usually works on other laptop touchpads, but not on my SP2 keyboard covers!?

Anyone know the secret?

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Left-click and drag: Hold the left touchpad button down and then slide a finger in any direction -or- Tap, then tap and slide one finger in any direction

Works for me

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
"Tap, then tap and slide one finger in any direction"

Unless I'm doing this wrong, it definitely is not working for me. I have the Type Cover 2 with a Surface Pro 2. I can do this maneuver on my other Windows 8.1 laptop just fine (a Lenovo Yoga 13) but for some reason it's not working on my Surface Pro 2.

Also, I'm not a fan of the touchpad buttons. They don't feel any different then the rest of the touchpad so it's hard to even tell if/when you press them.

vipkl

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Ohh, finally figured out that I needed to apply more pressure to activate the left/right touchpad buttons, especially with the Touch Cover 2. I had to either tap quite hard, or press with more deliberation and let my finger linger on the touchpad a bit longer.

Is this the same way for everyone else, or do I have something wrong with the hardware or software settings?

It's strange because I can move the cursor by sliding my finger across the touchpad much more lightly. And tapping anywhere to perform a (left) click can also be done with a much lighter touch. And on the Touch Cover 2, typing the letters don't require that much more pressure.

Anyways, at least I have one method to do click-and-drag now, even if the double-tap-and-slide method apparently doesn't work.

Raffaele Zippo

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Any news about the tap and drag? Any way to enable it?
It's very annoying since a used it so much on the old notebook I keep failing a couple of times before to use the left click :(

the_newnormal

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Any news about the tap and drag? Any way to enable it?
It's very annoying since a used it so much on the old notebook I keep failing a couple of times before to use the left click :(

Double tap to left click and drag on trackpad - Microsoft Community

Thread on it above.
Moderator says they will just remove the feature from documentation, which is a completely unacceptable solution. Please do what you can to get Microsoft to fix this properly. It's annoying for me; I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for someone with a disability. Can't let them get away with this one.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ah good. The first I do, is disable that feature on a laptop. And if there is no disable, I don't buy the system at all.
Horrible design, that makes you drag things non stop by accident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3