Find my surface?

Simaan5

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
is there a built in app that tracks your surface tablet just like on windows phones and other OS?

if not are there any free ones that work well?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The Surface 2 and Pro 2 does not have a GPS.
All you have is one based on IP and wireless, which is what Maps uses to locate where you are.

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
@MBytes, as right as you are, I have used Find My iPad from iCloud to locate a WiFi only iPad. Worked perfectly.
And as you say Simaan5 this functionality was in Windows Phone 7 onwards, so there's no reason this can't happen.

I suspect it would have to be a third party app for now, until MS bakes it in. Perhaps when RT and WP are aligned.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
@MBytes, as right as you are, I have used Find My iPad from iCloud to locate a WiFi only iPad. Worked perfectly.
And as you say Simaan5 this functionality was in Windows Phone 7 onwards, so there's no reason this can't happen.

I suspect it would have to be a third party app for now, until MS bakes it in. Perhaps when RT and WP are aligned.

Interesting.. I honestly did not know this. Thanks!

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Since the thread is in the Surface pro 2 sub-forum I'd have to say unless you forgot your tablet on your desk, turned on and hopefully plugged in... there's no point in a find my tablet functionality. There's no connected standby so the tablet is off the grid the moment it goes to sleep/hibernation/power off.
For the Surface RT and Surface 2 I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have such a functionality. Also for a future pro that allows connected standby.

narrabeen

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
There is the locate my tablet app in the windows store. Using it on a strangers pc to find your tablet requires a download-have you time and permissions to do an install on someone else's pc? Using it on a windows phone - I can't work out how to do that. Seems pretty hard that MS can't come up with a simple app to track the surface but a private user can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard