is there a built in app that tracks your surface tablet just like on windows phones and other OS?

if not are there any free ones that work well?
    11-23-2013 07:44 PM
    The Surface 2 and Pro 2 does not have a GPS.
    All you have is one based on IP and wireless, which is what Maps uses to locate where you are.
    11-23-2013 10:33 PM
    @MBytes, as right as you are, I have used Find My iPad from iCloud to locate a WiFi only iPad. Worked perfectly.
    And as you say Simaan5 this functionality was in Windows Phone 7 onwards, so there's no reason this can't happen.

I suspect it would have to be a third party app for now, until MS bakes it in. Perhaps when RT and WP are aligned.
    MBytes likes this.
    11-26-2013 08:42 AM
    @MBytes, as right as you are, I have used Find My iPad from iCloud to locate a WiFi only iPad. Worked perfectly.
    And as you say Simaan5 this functionality was in Windows Phone 7 onwards, so there's no reason this can't happen.

I suspect it would have to be a third party app for now, until MS bakes it in. Perhaps when RT and WP are aligned.
    Interesting.. I honestly did not know this. Thanks!
    11-26-2013 08:55 AM

Since the thread is in the Surface pro 2 sub-forum I'd have to say unless you forgot your tablet on your desk, turned on and hopefully plugged in... there's no point in a find my tablet functionality. There's no connected standby so the tablet is off the grid the moment it goes to sleep/hibernation/power off.
    For the Surface RT and Surface 2 I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to have such a functionality. Also for a future pro that allows connected standby.
    11-26-2013 09:31 AM
    There is the locate my tablet app in the windows store. Using it on a strangers pc to find your tablet requires a download-have you time and permissions to do an install on someone else's pc? Using it on a windows phone - I can't work out how to do that. Seems pretty hard that MS can't come up with a simple app to track the surface but a private user can.
    04-29-2014 05:22 AM