Why is there no Microsoft Surface trackpad?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm a relatively new Windows/Surface convert, and before I switched from Mac to Windows, I'd been using macOS for years. I'm also a big keyboard shortcut and gesture guy, meaning I actually take the time to learn and remember as many shortcuts and gestures in the OS I'm using as possible, because they genuinely help me get more work done faster.

Before making the switch from Mac to Windows, I'd been using Apple's Magic Trackpad 2 in place of a mouse. And I'd really become used to using gestures and swiping up and down, left and right, to scroll. So when I bought my new Surface Pro, I immediately noticed that Microsoft doesn’t offer any sort of external trackpad for it, even though Windows supports a number of gestures. For example, when I use my Surface Pro along with my Signature Type Cover, I can swipe up and down with two fingers to scroll, and swipe up and down with three digits to show or hide the desktop.

It seems odd that Microsoft wouldn't have released some sort of Surface trackpad to utilize the various gestures built into Windows. What do you think? Why hasn't Microsoft released one? And do you know of any third-party trackpads that you recommend?

jlwaters11

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm a relatively new Windows/Surface convert, and before I switched from Mac to Windows, I'd been using macOS for years. I'm also a big keyboard shortcut and gesture guy, meaning I actually take the time to learn and remember as many shortcuts and gestures in the OS I'm using as possible, because they genuinely help me get more work done faster.

Before making the switch from Mac to Windows, I'd been using Apple's Magic Trackpad 2 in place of a mouse. And I'd really become used to using gestures and swiping up and down, left and right, to scroll. So when I bought my new Surface Pro, I immediately noticed that Microsoft doesn’t offer any sort of external trackpad for it, even though Windows supports a number of gestures. For example, when I use my Surface Pro along with my Signature Type Cover, I can swipe up and down with two fingers to scroll, and swipe up and down with three digits to show or hide the desktop.

It seems odd that Microsoft wouldn't have released some sort of Surface trackpad to utilize the various gestures built into Windows. What do you think? Why hasn't Microsoft released one? And do you know of any third-party trackpads that you recommend?

I honestly don't understand the question, why would there need to be a SURFACE TRACKPAD separate from the trackpad on the Surface keyboard?
Imo, a trackpad is only useful for casual tasks, it's not a legitimate tool for extensive work. The arctouch mouse is perfect for extensive tasks

What is more needed Imo, is a SURFACE KEYPAD, as an Accounting and finance professional a numbers keypad is absolutely necessary.

That's why a Surface can never be my main device- I have a 15" HP laptop because of the keypad. It they put out a bluetooth Surface keypad with the same magnesium finish. That would be amazing.

Riopato

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft does make a wireless keyboard trackpad combo but it's not a Surface brand, it's multimedia keyboard mainly for HTPCs and streaming devices. I'm sure they will come out with something similar for their Xbox one and then offer a rebranded Surface edition.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't understand the question, why would there need to be a SURFACE TRACKPAD separate from the trackpad on the Surface keyboard?
Imo, a trackpad is only useful for casual tasks, it's not a legitimate tool for extensive work. The arctouch mouse is perfect for extensive tasks

What is more needed Imo, is a SURFACE KEYPAD, as an Accounting and finance professional a numbers keypad is absolutely necessary.

That's why a Surface can never be my main device- I have a 15" HP laptop because of the keypad. It they put out a bluetooth Surface keypad with the same magnesium finish. That would be amazing.

Well, no, laptops/2-in-1 PCs that already have a trackpad don't need it. But think about something like the Surface Studio - a desktop style computer. A trackpad would be really nice.

Also, I find your point about a number pad strange. There are plenty of options on the market. On the other hand, there are pretty much zero standalone trackpads available for Windows, let along solutions that are worth anything, and gestures are pretty great when you get used to them. I agree, though, that for many work tasks, a mouse is going to offer much better/comfortable control.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think they should only think about releasing a track pad once they improve the quality of the other Surface peripherals. The Surface mouse is cheap feeling and slightly too small. They Surface keyboards are nice, but the keys themselves are cheap looking and feeling plastic. Surface peripherals must be consistently high quality in look and feel. Those are not yet. The Dial and pen though are I believe, albeit the pen too slippery and hard to feel where the button is.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Was going to say Logitech makes a great one. I have one, T650. Apparently not anymore. Some company wants $229 for one at Amazon. No way. Personally I much prefer a mouse and just use the touch screen for those things that require gestures, or the trackpad that is on the Surface keyboard. I don't think MS needs to make a Surface trackpad, but someone needs to make a Windows 10 one. WTH Logitech?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the need for a special or seperate trackpad in the surface line. Having used a few surface pro devices for years I have found the touch screen sufficient enough to navigate with touch or pen, and the keyboard. I turn all the trackpads off in settings. All the times I do use the trackpad I can count on two hands. The touchscreen is so great I think the surface type cover doesn't really need a trackpad. Windows 10 also has a built in virtual trackpad if necessary.
What the surface does need is the return of the power cover. More batterylife is always good.

Schinwinkwinsky

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I believe Microsoft should create a keyboard with a detachable track pad. This way it could be large and the user could use it with any hand, left or right. My hand gets too tired when I use the track pad for a long time.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

The question is: Should M$ release anything? I have a Trackpad like device from Logitech and it works like a charm. Why M$ should release another one?

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
What would this entail? A separate rectangle that you use with your fingers? Is there an equivalent product from another company, even? I don't think it's a very successful type of peripheral in any case. But no, in either case it makes no sense to me, at all. Nor does it make sense to make a WC article out of a post like this with such a random idea.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My Logitech T650 is still alive and kicking. I would love if Logitech or Microsoft created a new one. Heck, the T650 is so good that I'd be happy if they just re-released it. I know a few people that use Apple's Magic Trackpad and they love it. And if something happened to it, they can just go buy another. There's no equivalent for Windows that's readily available. Trackpads (and the gesture controls that come with it) may not be appropriate for every situation, but they're still nice to use.

mrmpal

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I have wished for exactly that ever since switching from Macs to a Surface Pro 4. The gestures are extremely useful. There's more work to be done under the hood, though--using the Magic Trackpad 2 in any Adobe application is seamless. Pinch-to-zoom, 2-finger pan in any direction, it's wonderful. By contrast, the trackpad on my Surface Typecover can't zoom in Adobe apps, and can only scroll stutteringly up and down, or left to right. You can tell it's honoring the archaic Scroll 3 Lines at a Time scroll wheel setting left over from XP days. Even then, horizontal scrolling is unreliable (in Adobe apps). There's no smooth scrolling as in UWP apps.

I really like the Surface Pro, but for "creatives" switching over from Macs, the trackpad experience is still jarringly inferior.

Tried the Logitech mentioned here--it was such a disappointment compared to even the original Magic Trackpad that I gave up pretty quickly. Not necessarily hardware-wise (although I can't remember if it's a "precision" touchpad or not, which is apparently important), but rather the implementation throughout the OS.

Lepoete

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm not a fan of trackpads, I always use a mouse with my PCs and laptops. But isn't the Surface Mouse having a touch surface for gesture? Wouldn't it be like a trackpad in a way?

phsieben

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
A standalone trackpad by MS would be very appreciated. I use a Magic Trackpad and a MX Master with my Mac mini and I don't want to miss it anymore. In order to minimize stress on my hand and arm it's wonderful to switch between those two devices. The gestures (up to 4 fingers) are somehow hardwired to my hand now. Many times I miss the convenience of those gestures on my Windows desktop. For everyday navigational tasks the trackpad, for me, is superior. It' still different from having a touchscreen, which I don't have or even want on my desktop.

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. It's useful. As mentioned by some folks, I'm talking about using a trackpad along with a desktop-like configuration, though not necessarily the Surface Studio. For example, I use my Surface Pro with two external monitors and a keyboard and mouse. But I really miss the trackpad I used with my old MacBook, in a similar destop-like setup. I also agree the Surface Arc Mouse is garbage, but the Surface keyboards are solid, in my experience.

Rann Xeroxx

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This is PC, not Mac. Want a external track pad, buy one, there are plenty out there. Why does MS have to build this? Get out of the Apple mindset.

kevin sinsimer

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I have been craving a sleek trackpad for my PC for years. I know many companies make it, but I would love a nice, clean one. I know if they made it under the surface name, it would be prestige quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte