New SP3 Owner, would like to run some Diagnostics!!

Fred Tam

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a Surface Pro 3 today! Really happy with my purchase!

I just want to make sure that the system was running fine and would like to run some diagnostics. Stuff like hard drive, wifi signal and everything. Could someone suggest some diagnostic programs to run? The reason I want to run this is because I want to make sure everything is functioning fine before I install all of my school apps onto the device!!

Thanks everyone! :)

zeal0us

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I think an equally effective question may be "What kinds of problems are people running into? I'd like to make sure I don't have them."

For that, please skim through the Bugs & Defects thread. If you'd like, here is a CNET guide to see your Windows Experience Index scores in Windows 8.1. That may address a few of your concerns.

Also, please make sure that you update your Surface. This Tuesday's patch mitigated various known issues, change logs of which can be found all over the web.

I hope all's well and that you enjoy your beautiful new machine.

Last edited:

jrohland

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
  • Be sure the charger is able to charge the SP3.
  • Plug in a USB device to make sure the USB ports works.
  • Install a micro SD card to be sure the SD card slot works.
  • Verify the video out port is working.
  • Make sure the type cover keyboard and track pad are working. Touch every part of the trackpad.
  • Make sure all 3 buttons on the stylus are working.
  • Search the screen under different colours for stuck or dead pixels.
  • Display an HD video with the charger plugged in. Listen to be sure the fan runs.
Diagnostics completed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes