Microsoft store will not exchange broken power supply, but online will do.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't been a month since I bought this, I went to microsoft store to try and exchange my broken power supply, but they quickly dismissed it as "wear and tear" so they wouldn't exchange it. I contacted microsoft store (on facebook) and they told me to get on : help desk for Surface --
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fcontact-us%3FlinkId%3D8798010&token=OIET3pJD

And I told them the situation. They quickly asked for my surface serial # to verify that I do have the surface. After that, they asked for my address --- and they said it should be here within 1-2 weeks. -- I reported the store that didn't want to help me. Hopefully they'll get disciplined. I drove almost an hour just to get there-- Glendale store, California.

This probably happened after all the pulling from the wire instead of the base, and it wasn't probably glued properly. I never noticed this because its dark in my room, and I just charge it at night.
brokensupply.jpg

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's a drag. I'm glad you're getting helped, but a week or two is a while. Hopefully the old one will continue to work until then.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
We're supposed to pull from the base?

The one thing I love about the power cord is I hold it from the wire and it just connects...or releases...and isn't that how they did it at launch and in all of their videos?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I kinda just yank it from the wire, but Ill be doing it from the base from now on. im keeping the old one though since they didn't want it anyway. it charges but a very slow charge. some of the tiny wires came off so tahts probably why. Just happy to share this for those who will have problems with their power supply in the future. :crying:

codynunes

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If some of the wires are frayed, I wouldn't continue to use it. It could short your surface or its battery. I forgot but is the charger two pieces or just one?

anon(247108)

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to mine and I do not yank the cord. MS store switched mine with one from a demo. (Shrug). Keeping an eye out on this issue, which could be widespread.

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I noticed that the Surface Pro 2 power connector has the usual rubber ring around where the plug starts at the end of the wire.
The Surface Pro 3 does not.
surface-pro-power-connectors-3-v-2-616x340.jpg

Form before function? (and it's not like it wasn't nice on the Pro 2 or Pro 1 for that mater as it is the same connector)

js garcia

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me as well. It stopped charging, I was able to get a brand new one at my local MS store. Walked in, and out in about 5 min.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I too am not impressed with the cord between the brick and the device connector. In addition to the missing reinforcement I find it to be more prone to having bends in the cable. I do like that it is longer though.

I hope they address this in a future revision. I am holding off buying a spare until they do.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It hasn't been a month since I bought this, I went to microsoft store to try and exchange my broken power supply, but they quickly dismissed it as "wear and tear" so they wouldn't exchange it. I contacted microsoft store (on facebook) and they told me to get on : help desk for Surface --

Yes, that is true. I had a key pop off of my Power Cover for my old SP1, so I took it to the Microsoft Store. They said they couldn't replace it there, but showed me how to go online and get a new one sent. They also checked the serial# for me to ensure I could get a free replacement. I had the new Power Cover in just a couple of days.

Kamal Clarke

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Exact same deal here with my cable. Wires started showing the day I got the Surface Pro 3 but it still charges the device. I'll visit the link to see whether I can get another cable heading my way. Surface Pro 3 is still a awesome device though.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
My brand new SP3 that I picked up today isn't frayed, but won't charge. I'm pretty sure it's the power block and not the unit itself since I couldn't get my phone to charge w/ the USB port in the block. Point being sounds like they may have some quality issues w/ them...I hope they take care of you.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just finished with Microsoft's support chat, and I'm getting my cord replaced for the same problem. The chat process is painless. The longest part was waiting about five minutes for the guy to email me so I could send him a picture, since he can't access OneDrive from there.
SurfacePowerAdapter.jpg

webop

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem here, it occured after one month exactly as the pictures above me. And after another month the inner cables are not covered anymore. I have contacted customer support which have gave me the phone number which redirected me to the surface pro 3 team.

Microsoft replaced it with no questions asked, it should be here in two days. The call was handled within 5 minutes. This must be a manufracture failure somehow.

kaizen82

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to post a quick note to say thanks heaps for this!

I'm in New Zealand and same thing happened to my charger (started breaking only a couple of months after I bought it), problem was I left it until it completely crapped out to phone the store for a replacement, which was about 9 months after I purchased it. The store told me the chargers only have a 6 month warranty on them, so contacted the online support at the link you posted and they're sending me a new one for free.

And I had the most hilarious conversation with the online support person. Best support experience ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon