Cannot get to Metro IE

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Brand new Surface Pro I7, beautiful machine, very well designed and fast, works perfectly except:
It came with IE pinned to the start screen but
(1) when I click it I am taken to the desktop IE
(2) IE does not show up in my app list!

I researched this as best I could and found similar complaints and two suggestions: make sure it is the default browser (this only applies if you have installed another browser of course) and download and run MS;s "apps.diagcab" troubleshooter. Well I verified the first and tried the second but no diff... Anyone else see this?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it'll help, but in the options IE has a menu that lets you select the default behavior for opening sites. (in modern IE, desktop only, or auto.)

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it'll help, but in the options IE has a menu that lets you select the default behavior for opening sites. (in modern IE, desktop only, or auto.)

THIS.

Open IE on desktop, go to settings, then in one of those tabs you can select to have Metro IE open when you click the tile, open sites, etc

jlinz

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Are you using DuOS by chance? I have found that it hides the metro IE app for some reason. To get it back I go into Control Panel, then Programs, then Default Programs and then select the last open called "Set program access and computer default." I then select the radio button for "Microsoft Windows" and the metro IE app come right back. Of course, the next time I start DuOS, my metro IE disappears again . . .

I created a shortcut to the above, so it's not too much of a pain, but still is.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There is an option in IE to run only the Desktop version. In Desktop IE, go to Internet Options, then the Programs tab. Look at the check box option at the top "Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop". Make sure that's unchecked.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think if you let any other browser become the default I. win 8, the metro browser goes away.

this, and it sucks. Would love to have chrome be my default but it makes the metro ie go away for when I want a touch experience, such a joke -.-

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies (I love this community :) However I've tried them all ...
My IE is set to open links always in IE (not IE desktop). I['ve never installed another browser, IE has always been the default. And I don't know what DuOS is :)

The most disturbing thing is there is no IE in my app list. If I were to unpin the IE tile I don't know if I could get it back.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
As a last resort try uninstalling IE, reboot, then reinstalling IE.

Uninstall:
Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or off (left side the window), uncheck Internet Explorer 11, OK.

Reinstall:
Above, but check Internet Explorer 11 ;)

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Okay, it's fixed.:wink:

I uninstalled and reinstalled but still didn't see IE in my app list, but I had the inspiration to search for it. I found it it and pinned it, and not only did the new tile work correctly but IE then appeared in my app list. And it now correctly chooses whether to open in desktop or metro mode. Case closed.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just something to keep an eye out for:

I had issues with my IE not displaying some websites properly. I tried resetting IE, but it didn't work. Did the IE uninstall/re-install, websites displayed properly, but it was slow.

I eventually did a W8 refresh (keep docs, pics, vid, etc.) and then all the Windows updates, then re-installed my desktop programs. IE is back to running properly. I guess I ran into some bitrot somewhere. So, keep an open mind and if you find that IE is running slow or quirky, do a system refresh.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Only the default browser will run in Metro mode. It's the same for all the browsers. If you want to run Firefox (before they pulled support) in Metro mode, you had to set Firefox to be the default browser. If you want IE to run in Metro mode, IE needs to be your default browser.

There's no reason not to leave IE as your default browser. I have Firefox, IE, and Chrome. My main browser is still Firefox but I leave IE as the default browser because it's far and away the best touch browser. Chrome looks and acts like #*$& (though the beta is finally getting decent).

And IE and Firefox use the latest technologies in font/graphic scaling and touch so even if you have 2560x1440 and scale 200%, everything looks nice and sharp. Not like #*$& Chrome which has the worst font rendering ever (though the beta is finally becoming decent). Though I have to give Google a little bit of credit now that they're finally making Chrome good for a modern PC rather than for just traditional older PCs with sub 1080p screens and lack of touch.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3