Like the Surface 3, but...

dougmor2000

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a Surface 3 and wanted to replace my work laptop. I like the flexibility of Windows 8.1 and the usability of the software. To try it out, I took it on a business trip and gave it a workout. Overall it worked okay, but I had a few key problems that will prevent me from keeping it. First is that the keyboard sometimes "forgets" to work and I had to remove and replace it to get it to work again. This happened 3 times during a customer meeting, once when I way trying to show something. Next problem is that on a plane, the setup does not fit on a tray. When I setup the stand, the footprint is too big. Either you have to type with the keyboard uncomfortably close or move the keyboard away from you and the tablet falls of the back of the tray.

This is too bad because I do like the device, but I can't have an unreliable typing experience and I have to be able to work on a plane. Oh, and I had all the latest updates installed. Anyone else experience this?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a Surface 3 and wanted to replace my work laptop. I like the flexibility of Windows 8.1 and the usability of the software. To try it out, I took it on a business trip and gave it a workout. Overall it worked okay, but I had a few key problems that will prevent me from keeping it. First is that the keyboard sometimes "forgets" to work and I had to remove and replace it to get it to work again. This happened 3 times during a customer meeting, once when I way trying to show something. Next problem is that on a plane, the setup does not fit on a tray. When I setup the stand, the footprint is too big. Either you have to type with the keyboard uncomfortably close or move the keyboard away from you and the tablet falls of the back of the tray.

This is too bad because I do like the device, but I can't have an unreliable typing experience and I have to be able to work on a plane. Oh, and I had all the latest updates installed. Anyone else experience this?

No offense but you can have 50 people chime in that they have keyboard issues and it really doesn't change the fact that you are missing the obvious solution. The keyboard has a one year warranty. They will replace it if you call them or go to a store, and will also walk through the steps to make sure it is not the tablet. I really don't get why people want to know if others have the same hardware problem, as if that somehow waives or informs the solution. Only one party (or their delegate) can resolve it.

Simply by the law of averages; tendency for forums to draw complaints; and me too phenomena also common on forums you can usually find people who have the same problem. Hardware support, however, still requires the involvement of the manufacturer/warranty provider and the longer someone waits, the longer they are living with problems that can be fixed. Would anyone seriously come on to a forum if there car wouldn't start and use the number of people whose cars also won't start as a basis for taking the next step? As for plane seat tables, that depends upon whom you fly - there is a very long and useful thread on the subject.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

The keyboard issue has happened once or twice with me. What I suspect is happening (at least for me) is that the sleep/wake cycle of the tablet doesn't communicate with the keyboard on those rare instances. This has only ever happened when my surface is sleeping and I flip it open to use it. But then again, its only happened like twice.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think people ask that question to see if it is a known issue that MS is working on which helps from going through unnecessary steps. No harm in asking while you wait for the store to open or support to become available. My only question is that I have read countless reviews from users about how simple it is to use on a plane. I hope to find out next week on my flight.

dougmor2000

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Not a very helpful response stephen_az as I'm not posting a complaint. I was just looking to see if others have had this problem. I seem to have hit a nerve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon