System FW Update 9/29/2015 Fails

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else have issue with installing the Sept 29th Firmware update? Mine has failed three times now. And upon reboot, the wireless driver is not working. Device Manager has the yellow ! over the Marvel device. I uninstall it and reboot it comes back up working but wanting to install the system firmware again.

But now I am getting System Hardware Update - 9/29/2015 - Error 0x80240017 when trying to install.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My Surface 3 gave me Marvel issues the other day but I manually had to select the middle driver from the manual install process.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm downloading the entire msi package from MS downloads site. Going to try and install that way and see what happens.

UPDATE: That worked. Windows Update is satisfied now. Ran the .msi file and it seems to have got everything updated.

Last edited:

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
mine failed at the boot screen. updated, restarts into the black screen, with "Surface" and a bar. then when it reboots again, instance blue screen. only way out of it was to do a system restore to a previous checkpoint, which thankfully worked. I ran update again, and same thing happened. I think i'm going to skip installing that buggy firmware update. enabled defer update also to avoid it automatically bricking it again.

maybe try downloading the update separately from windows update like jasqid did at some point. but not confident in this update.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine went through cleanly. I was really happy to find out that it fixed the delayed reboot if you have the keyboard in the passive position during reboot.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
well, i dont know about you guys but after aplying this update i have had 5 or 6 page cannot be displayed errors while browsing edge in the last hour. ive never had that until now. watchout.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've seen that with the WiFi flaking out. It's just a shot in the dark but I'm using the driver listed in the middle from the list you see when you go into the manual install.

I also had to drop to the 2.4 GHz frequency. Even though it's congested and I get lower speeds it seems a little more stable.

At the far end of my house my desktop can get 89 Mbps on 5 GHz. With my Surface 3 in the same location I get about 1-5 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. At 5 GHz it may not be able to connect. I have to keep my LTE off to prevent accidentally blowing through data while at home.

spasell

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Isn't this part of the problem though with this device and Microsoft in general?

I mean, I get it...when new devices come out, you need to give it time. It's been OVER 1 year, and the issues continue to pile up with no real fixes promised or delivered.

1. Battery life is WAY less than advertised, even if you account that they are "Best case scenario" in their testing
2. Overheating issues continue...look at the threads
3. Hibernation and battery drain continue..Google it...it's everywhere
4. Wifi issues continue..Latest update just BROKE my wifi, AGAIN
5. Pen input is buggy and hasn't been solved. OneNote crashes all the time, and update after update doesn't solve it
6. Updating is an issue..It works, it doesn't...It works, it doesn't. Then you have to research how to fix the Update and try again? How does MS manage to keep anyone buying their products? I don't get it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Seems to me the hardware group and software group aren't as tight as they should be. The hardware is great but the software is just falling short.

For example, it has been a couple months now and the Surface pen still can't launch the desktop OneNote. They designed hardware with a button who's sole purpose is launching OneNote and it still isn't working. That's a big WTF is going on over there? This stuff just wouldn't happen at apple.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a Surface Pro 3 but it only downloads the Sept. 15 Firmware update, doesn't even show the Sept. 29 update in Windows Update. Any ideas? Anywhere I can download that specific update? The driver download from Microsoft's site only has the Sept. 15 package for download.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon