Terrible day.. Surface Pro 3 dropped and screen cracked touchscreen broken. Advice?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Welp. This just happened and my day is officially horrible.:unhappysweat:
My 2-year-old SP3 dropped and unfortunately hit the metal part of the music stand and cracked from the top. The unfortunate part is that the touchscreen would no longer work.
After some research and forum digging it seems like my only option is to get the out-of-warranty replacement which costs $549 + tax CAD...
Is there really no way to repair the screen only, that would cost less?
Also I heard something about claiming from house insurance, does that really help?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Welp. This just happened and my day is officially horrible.:unhappysweat:
My 2-year-old SP3 dropped and unfortunately hit the metal part of the music stand and cracked from the top. The unfortunate part is that the touchscreen would no longer work.
After some research and forum digging it seems like my only option is to get the out-of-warranty replacement which costs $549 + tax CAD...
Is there really no way to repair the screen only, that would cost less?
Also I heard something about claiming from house insurance, does that really help?

Any advice would be appreciated...

in your area, do you have any technicians who have experience with the surface devices? They could charge considerably less than the official service centres that you checked with.

And I'm thinking that that cost is really high, have you searched outside Canada (I'm assuming you're in Canada because you said CAD). It might be cheaper that way too

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
in your area, do you have any technicians who have experience with the surface devices? They could charge considerably less than the official service centres that you checked with.

And I'm thinking that that cost is really high, have you searched outside Canada (I'm assuming you're in Canada because you said CAD). It might be cheaper that way too

Thanks... I did check with a few places that fix cracked screens, but none of them deal with surface unfortunately. Most of them phones only.
And yeah, Canadian price is $549 CAD plus tax. I had no other choice and got the out-of-warranty replacement today... paid $620.

I guess the moral of this story is... DON'T DROP YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICES. Unless you have Microsoft Complete I guess.. I never opt for those things, maybe I have too much confidence for myself.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks... I did check with a few places that fix cracked screens, but none of them deal with surface unfortunately. Most of them phones only.
And yeah, Canadian price is $549 CAD plus tax. I had no other choice and got the out-of-warranty replacement today... paid $620.

I guess the moral of this story is... DON'T DROP YOUR ELECTRONIC DEVICES. Unless you have Microsoft Complete I guess.. I never opt for those things, maybe I have too much confidence for myself.

for that price you could have got a new surface device :grincry:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea.... I learned the hard way on an old RT. Didn't get the complete care. After that it just made sense to get it with tablets and phones. It's paid for itself already with "no questions asked" exchanges.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2