Anyone else having issues with the Surface Dock not working with 2 screens?

zerocool_at

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

found that thread while searching for another thing, but we have the same thing on ALL our SF4 with the original MS-Dockingstation.
After some trying we contacted the support of our distributor and he get us the connection to an MCP.

The MCP gives us the following Step-by-Step guide to get it working:

1. Shutdown Surface
  2. Connect the 2 displays to the dockingstation (use miniDP to DP or miniDP to HDMI)
    --annotation: we use miniDP to DP, because the miniDP to HDMI we had didn't won't run --annotation end
  3. Start Surface
  4. show display settings
  5. mark 2nd display and set it as active
  6. deactive interal display
  7. activate all 3 displays

now all 3 screens (one internal, 2 on docking) can be used AND if you undock/dock everything works as it should be.

It seems that this problem is a windows 10 AND surface docking hardware problem. The mix makes it so complicated.

Hope some of you will help this guide to get it work!

Greetings from Austria,

ZeroCool_AT

Want to add me on FB? Here we go! https://www.facebook.com/Dumper87

Nathan Sokalski

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I was having a lot of frequent disconnecting & reconnecting (every 3 seconds or so), so after about 2 months of troubleshooting & support I took the Dock in for an exchange & in person support. One thing they mentioned several times was the firmware. I have only had the replacement 1 day, and haven't had any problems, so I am wondering if I should install the firmware. If it was a possible cause of the problem, should I bother taking the risk of doing it now? Should I wait a few months in hopes that if it was the problem it will be fixed by then?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I was having a lot of frequent disconnecting & reconnecting (every 3 seconds or so), so after about 2 months of troubleshooting & support I took the Dock in for an exchange & in person support. One thing they mentioned several times was the firmware. I have only had the replacement 1 day, and haven't had any problems, so I am wondering if I should install the firmware. If it was a possible cause of the problem, should I bother taking the risk of doing it now? Should I wait a few months in hopes that if it was the problem it will be fixed by then?

I had that issue at the beginning but the latest firmware updates seem to have fixed it for the most part. I still find it a little finicky if you accidentally bump it it will sometimes disconnect but much better than when I started with it

Dave DeCorso

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
I have an SP4 i7 and I am using 2 AOC 27" monitors both connected to the DOCK with HDMI adapters. I was having some issues until I updated the DOCK firmware (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ck%3Fos%3Dwindows-10%23updater&token=khiSD2RV) and now as long as I have the DOCK plugged in BEFORE I startup the SP4 everything works great. If I attach the DOCK to an already started SP4, It goes nuts and I have to shut down and restart and everything is fine.

ianc89

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
Zerocool AT advice worked for me.... I didn't follow to a "T" but for under display settings my monitors were going to "Disconnect This Display" by default. The problem appeared overnight without any updates or changes..

Thanks,

David Sopko

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
The cable housing on the AmazonBasics cable is too wide

Surface Pro 4 and Surface Dock and 2 monitors. Using Amazon Basics MiniDP to HDMI adapters (also tried a Belkin). Will not drive both screens--lots of screen flickering craziness. SOMETIMES works, mostly doesn't. Rather frustrating.

Apoc, I think your problem might be the cable housing on the MiniDP end of the AmazonBasics cable is too wide.

I started running issues when I switched out one of my Microsoft MiniDP to HDMI adapters to the AmazonBasics MiniDP to HDMI cable, which has a much wider housing. In my case my displays were working but I got no sound.

After multiple dock and computer restarts, and different cable configurations, I noticed there was no space between the housing of the AmazonBasics and other 3rd party cable, and they were pushing each other apart.

When I pulled the two tightly together with my fingers and recycled both the dock and surface everything started working fine.

Try one of the Microsoft adapters or a cable that takes less space. It might fix your problem or at this point the ports on your dock could be broken.

Best of luck.

David Sopko

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
The cable housing on the AmazonBasics cable is too wide.

Surface Pro 4, Using Amazon Basics MiniDP to HDMI adapters (also tried a Belkin). Will not drive both screens

The cable housing around the MiniDP connector on the AmazonBasics cable is too wide. It pushes both conectors apart causing the irratic behavior.

My dock was working well with two monitors until I switched out the Microsoft MiniDP to HDMI adapter with the AmazonBasics cable. Then the option select sound for my TV and Monitor was no longer available.

After several power recycles of the dock and surface, and trying differnt cable configurations, I discovered there was no gap between the two housings at the insertion point. The two were pushing each other apart.

I pulled them together tightly with my fingers. Recycled surface and doc and everything was working well again. This only lasted for a few hours and it was back to the same problem.

qwertyops

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a SP4 to know if this works, but I have a similar issue to where my two external monitors won't stay active while I have my Type Cover closed on my Surface Pro (2017). I called MS Commercial Support and the problem is confirmed although they've not made an official announcement on their website. I have no problem operating my Surface display alongside my external monitors, but my objective was to close my Type Cover and work off external monitors w/out the Surface display coming on thus changing the display behavior.
I've discovered a workaround fix on my own that will leave the Surface Pro's screen off while both external monitors are up and running. Simply press Windows key + P and select "second screen only".
A hotfix by MS is in the works, but without an ETA. They are telling me to keep automatic updates on for whenever it's released. Not acceptable.

UncleReeko10023

Nov 2, 2018
Visit site
Surface Pro 4, both current Insider build and current retail release, plus new Surface Dock and 2 monitors. Using Amazon Basics MiniDP to HDMI adapters (also tried a Belkin). Will not drive both screens--lots of screen flickering craziness. SOMETIMES works, mostly doesn't. Fully updated too. Rather frustrating.

I had the same problem, even after going into Microsoft and having them update and troubleshoot. I am also out of warranty... I decided to use a USB to VGA adapter with the Surface Dock and external monitor. It works just like it should. Obviously not ideal, but its better than trashing your dock. I have the Eberry USB 3.0 to VGA and after installing the driver when I got it, works fine so far.

chrislnaples

Oct 8, 2019
Visit site
Surface Pro 4, both current Insider build and current retail release, plus new Surface Dock and 2 monitors. Using Amazon Basics MiniDP to HDMI adapters (also tried a Belkin). Will not drive both screens--lots of screen flickering craziness. SOMETIMES works, mostly doesn't. Fully updated too. Rather frustrating.

I just started using the latest gen dock with my SP4 and the same happened. Blinking for a few minutes.
I think what was happening is the video driver was cycling over what connections to use. Went to both of my monitors of different makes and changed from auto search for input to a fixed hdmi input only (hopefully your monitor will let you manually set the input). Blinked a few times after a reboot, then no more blinking ever again. Even after going home and connecting to another monitor which I also manually set for hdmi input only.
All trial and error. I hope this step might help.

Leo2u1

Oct 23, 2019
Visit site
Have you looked in the settings, tried to reinstall the driver?
At first I tried to use a direct connection, then I connected through the docking station and everything is ok. It seems to me that there is some sort of software obscuration conflict.
If you need a docking station, you can click to read more here.
I hope to come in handy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon