Surface Pro 4 is painful to use

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Surface RT at launch. Never had an issue using it to this day and I loved windows 8. Still looks and works like new. Passed it down to my daughter and got Surface 2... its still mounted in my truck as the device I use the most for media consumption. I bought the SP1 a few months after launch and it is still going strong now for getting things done.

After skipping a few generations of the pro line I finally got a SP4 about a week ago. I was so excited and loved the way it felt and looked and the form is awesome. The keyboard is great and the trackpad has changed my opinion about trackpads...its simply a revelation.

Overall the device is fantastic...when it works. Unfortunately for me it only works about 30% of the time. When I say work I mean when I can use it without spending half the time troubleshooting a problem. 70% of the time I try to use the device for various tasks I have to deal with a roadblock. Touch stops responding. Browser fails to load a page. Trackpad and keyboard stops working. Apps crash or they just don't work from the get go.

For me windows hello and the pen have been the most consistent features in my usage. Windows hello logs me in with a glance in a jiffy 98% of the time. Booting or waking the device is usually a hold up before hello becomes a problem. The pen just works. Click the button and OneNote launches. Double click it and I can take a screenshot. Click and hold and Cortana starts listening...by the way, Cortana has worked flawlessly for me too.

But honestly, too often I can't get anything done. As a result I don't trust it and I get more usage out of my older devices. At this point I am on the verge of just returning it, getting my $1300+ back in my bank account and waiting for things to get better. At least that way I get some interest out of my money.

Then again, I want this device soooo bad. And I already have it. What if they get this all fixed in a couple of days after I return it?

My worst fear though, is that my unit is just a dud and it needs to be replaced. After all, there is that light bleeding at the bottom of the display that I hate. What if it gets worse and my unit just explodes like a Fourth of July fireworks display?

Its a love hate thing for me. And it is sooooooo painful. Microsoft please put me out of my misery before I go completely nuts!

P.S. If you have any real solutions to any of this that doesn't involve more freaking troubleshooting or restoring, I'm all ears.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Compare your SP4 to the SP4 at the stores. Then you can know if you have a dud or if that's the way it is.

It's a new product with a new chipset so a lot of the problems will be solved as they release more updates. Windows 10 is also a work-in-progress (I feel the pain too which is the reason I kept Windows 8.1 on my main machines while Windows 10 is on the other half of my machines). Windows 8.1 is very mature and has far fewer bugs.

Jon Doh

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I lol'd at the previous suggestion to go the MS store and compare. Let me tell you, I was as the brand new Microsoft Store in King of Prussia Mall, PA today checking out the SP4 and Book, the store opened yesterday. I've had some bad luck with the SP3 I bought for my wife last XMas which I returned promptly after it stopped powering on after about 1 day of usage. I thought I'd wait for the SP4. I'm going to pass for now. The first SP4 I tried in the store had a keyboard issue, it was as if the shift key was stuck on. The second SP4 I tried had a pen that was not detecting the level of touch properly. Then I went on to try out the Book, the first one I tried threw a failed to unlatch error. The second one froze entirely when I unhooked it from the keyboard. The dude was like, hey they've been used pretty hard; seriously, you jest, the store has only been open 1 day. I'm a fan of the MS Phone product line and own(ed) several. I'm a fan of the MS Surface product line as well, but I can't bring myself to own one.

Thanks,
Jon Doh

robertcan

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm on my second SP4 and it to has issues, albeit not as bad as the first SP4. Just like you, its become a love/hate thing for me. When it works, I love it. When it doesn't, I'm ready to return it. I haven't given up on it yet only because I'm hoping its truly a software problem waiting for resolution.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have loved every single Surface device I have owned. I have 2 Surface Pro 2 machines (i5 with 8GB/256GB and i5 with 8GB/512GB). Used to have a Surface 2 which got traded in for a Surface 3. Haven't had any hardware problems. Didn't have any real significant software issues until Windows 10. But they are slowly going away with the updates.

I still have significant sleep problems and system running harder under Windows 10 than under Windows 8.1. But overall, it's been a good experience. I think with the SP4 and Windows 10, you'll have to have a bit more patience especially with the Windows 10 part.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I lol'd at the previous suggestion to go the MS store and compare. Let me tell you, I was as the brand new Microsoft Store in King of Prussia Mall, PA today checking out the SP4 and Book, the store opened yesterday. I've had some bad luck with the SP3 I bought for my wife last XMas which I returned promptly after it stopped powering on after about 1 day of usage. I thought I'd wait for the SP4. I'm going to pass for now. The first SP4 I tried in the store had a keyboard issue, it was as if the shift key was stuck on. The second SP4 I tried had a pen that was not detecting the level of touch properly. Then I went on to try out the Book, the first one I tried threw a failed to unlatch error. The second one froze entirely when I unhooked it from the keyboard. The dude was like, hey they've been used pretty hard; seriously, you jest, the store has only been open 1 day. I'm a fan of the MS Phone product line and own(ed) several. I'm a fan of the MS Surface product line as well, but I can't bring myself to own one.

Thanks,
Jon Doh

Not to defend Microsoft or anything, but having worked retail I can safely say that the demo software that they install on store models usually blows. They usually have to update the demo after a few weeks to finally fix SOME of the problems. It always causes crashes, screen freeze, or the pen doesn't register so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the issues with the SP4. So you may just need to restart the units to have them working properly.

Now to the OP I've had my SP4 i5 8gb 256 and the only issue I have with it right now is the boot up time isn't as fast as it needs to be with the type cover attached. I have yet to experience any other problems. I would swap it out. There are software problems, but some seem to have more issues than other. At least hold onto it to see if the updates fix the issues you're having. I would just make sure you have the means to return it in time if need be.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
This is my first SP (i5/8/256) and I'm quite happy with it so far. There were some minor issues to begin with, nothing that made it unusable though. Today, I decided to "reset" the machine, for fun, delete all data and go through the standard windows updates.

So far, the battery seems to be better, no crashes in Edge (it's the only browser so far), and no BSODs.

Go Quakertown Panthers ...

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the Surface RT at launch. Never had an issue using it to this day and I loved windows 8. Still looks and works like new. Passed it down to my daughter and got Surface 2... its still mounted in my truck as the device I use the most for media consumption. I bought the SP1 a few months after launch and it is still going strong now for getting things done.

After skipping a few generations of the pro line I finally got a SP4 about a week ago. I was so excited and loved the way it felt and looked and the form is awesome. The keyboard is great and the trackpad has changed my opinion about trackpads...its simply a revelation.

Overall the device is fantastic...when it works. Unfortunately for me it only works about 30% of the time. When I say work I mean when I can use it without spending half the time troubleshooting a problem. 70% of the time I try to use the device for various tasks I have to deal with a roadblock. Touch stops responding. Browser fails to load a page. Trackpad and keyboard stops working. Apps crash or they just don't work from the get go.

For me windows hello and the pen have been the most consistent features in my usage. Windows hello logs me in with a glance in a jiffy 98% of the time. Booting or waking the device is usually a hold up before hello becomes a problem. The pen just works. Click the button and OneNote launches. Double click it and I can take a screenshot. Click and hold and Cortana starts listening...by the way, Cortana has worked flawlessly for me too.

But honestly, too often I can't get anything done. As a result I don't trust it and I get more usage out of my older devices. At this point I am on the verge of just returning it, getting my $1300+ back in my bank account and waiting for things to get better. At least that way I get some interest out of my money.

Then again, I want this device soooo bad. And I already have it. What if they get this all fixed in a couple of days after I return it?

My worst fear though, is that my unit is just a dud and it needs to be replaced. After all, there is that light bleeding at the bottom of the display that I hate. What if it gets worse and my unit just explodes like a Fourth of July fireworks display?

Its a love hate thing for me. And it is sooooooo painful. Microsoft please put me out of my misery before I go completely nuts!

P.S. If you have any real solutions to any of this that doesn't involve more freaking troubleshooting or restoring, I'm all ears.

Get it replaced... Also... Windows 10 is just buggy. My sp3, venue pro 8, and really nice desktop all ran better with windows 8.1... 10 introduced bugs that were just wastes of time and lowered my positive experiences.

My sp3 died so MS replaced it with one with windows 10 stock, and it is a little better.. I just returned my venue pro 8 to 8.1... My desktop has store apps that just wont work...

Im just saying, replace your tablet if it is a dud... We should not have to troubleshoot so much... I have had 2 surface rt and a surface 2... Really awesome experiences...the sp3 has been good, bit was best with 8.1

Good luck

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Also, returning it would be an issue for me because I travel for work in areas that rarely have Microsoft stores.

I forgot to mention that Internet connection and speeds are horrendous despite my fast access. On all my other devices the Internet is just quick to load pages and app content. This is probably the worst problem with my SP4.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
If you're having issues, return it. It's not like MS is asking you to please use their device to let them know what you think... You're paying them a premium price for their hardware. So while you're having issues, they're making a profit? It doesn't seem right. I mean, of course minor issues are OK! Those will be fixed. But if it's to the point that you don't want to or can't use it as they intended it, return it and wait to get another one or just replace it. Microsoft COULD HAVE pushed this device out a little later and get their QC working. Or hire some more engineers in the Windows team to fix these issues. I don't think anyone who paid 1200+ for their devices should have to stand or tolerate so many issues if they're having them. It really depends though on what the issue is. My SP4 can't even be shipped until Nov 19th ARG! I want it! I guess I can wait, but they don't even have the light blue keyboard in stock! I'm waiting to order until they get it in stock...

Regarding Windows 10 issues, yes, there are many. On my Surface Pro 2, wifi is a NIGHTMARE. I can sometimes get 40mb download, other times anything over 400kb is impossible. I hope they fix this... I'm giving my SP2 to my parents and I don't want them to have any issues with such an expensive and powerful device all due to MS incompetence.... :unhappysweat:

James Hauser

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I got my SP4 on Wednesday. So far, twice now, the touchscreen has stopped responding entirely. Right in the middle of scrolling a webpage both times. I plug in the keyboard and the mouse and everything works that way, so I know it's just the touchscreen. Reboot fixes it.

I will wait and see if it happens again. If it does, I may return it. One thing I have learned over the years is that intermittent problems are nearly impossible to resolve.

James Hauser

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I am returning mine. I have lost the touchscreen 4 times in as many days. The display driver crashes frequently. And using it only a few hours today used up 70% of the battery. I spent an hour and a half with tech support, and several more hours tonight doing a factory reset (for the second time).

I am extremely bummed. This is the most elegant piece of windows hardware I have seen. And probably the most beautiful display I have seen. Ever. All in a form factor that I hoped, and almost realized, could replace both my iPad and my laptop.

But to spend most of my first four days with it troubleshooting....

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Return the machine if going through the growing pains is too hard. You can always come back and buy it again a few months down the road once firmwares and updates have cleared up the problems and also when Windows 10 matures. Microsoft has been in overdrive trying to get Windows 10 out and all these devices to make the school buying season as well as the holiday season. Now it time to clean up the mess. It's a computer. Nothing is static. It always takes awhile for Intel and Microsoft to iron things out.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Relax, highly likely it's a software and will work itself out. See how it works after the next big w10 update later this week.

When I first got my surface pro 3, I had to put it in the fridge to be able to install all the updates properly and not over heat shutdown! Over time, it got better and overall once I figured out the quirks, I'm very happy today... still debating to go SP4, but maybe early next year instead. It's annoying though that it doesn't work perfectly out of the box.

sp3infridge.jpg

tennisfan#AC

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I am returning mine. I have lost the touchscreen 4 times in as many days. The display driver crashes frequently. And using it only a few hours today used up 70% of the battery. I spent an hour and a half with tech support, and several more hours tonight doing a factory reset (for the second time).

I am extremely bummed. This is the most elegant piece of windows hardware I have seen. And probably the most beautiful display I have seen. Ever. All in a form factor that I hoped, and almost realized, could replace both my iPad and my laptop.

But to spend most of my first four days with it troubleshooting....

I returned my SP4 to Best Buy yesterday because I was at the end of my 14 day exchange window. Unfortunately, the brand new replacement SP4 is experiencing the same issues with the touchscreen just totally not responding after using it for only about an hour or two. It is even worse than before because on my first SP4 when the touchscreen would stop working I would reattach the keyboard and it would allow me to then restart the laptop. Now it doesn't even respond when I reattach the keyboard. I have to force a shutdown and then restart only to have the cycle happen again within a few minutes. So I have reset the computer again to try to get some use of this very expensive device. I am wondering if the most recent updates could be the issue. Because I rarely had a problem with my touchscreen until I applied the November 2nd update (I think that is the date). So I am now at the point when I apply all the updates again. I am wondering if I should just not apply the November 2nd update until the next update coming out this week. I didn't have this kind of experience with my SP3, however, I was not an early adopter because I didn't purchase my SP3 until almost a year after it hit the market.

theitguy1108

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I just purchased mine from the Microsoft Store on Sunday and I'm heading back to return my SP4 today. I've spent so much time trying to troubleshoot driver issues it's not worth it. I tried resetting it and it didn't help, the display driver and Bluetooth drivers keep failing. Overall a very painful experience.For something this expensive it should work out of the box.

GatsbyGlen

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I returned my SP4 to Best Buy yesterday because I was at the end of my 14 day exchange window. Unfortunately, the brand new replacement SP4 is experiencing the same issues with the touchscreen just totally not responding after using it for only about an hour or two. It is even worse than before because on my first SP4 when the touchscreen would stop working I would reattach the keyboard and it would allow me to then restart the laptop. Now it doesn't even respond when I reattach the keyboard. I have to force a shutdown and then restart only to have the cycle happen again within a few minutes. So I have reset the computer again to try to get some use of this very expensive device. I am wondering if the most recent updates could be the issue. Because I rarely had a problem with my touchscreen until I applied the November 2nd update (I think that is the date). So I am now at the point when I apply all the updates again. I am wondering if I should just not apply the November 2nd update until the next update coming out this week. I didn't have this kind of experience with my SP3, however, I was not an early adopter because I didn't purchase my SP3 until almost a year after it hit the market.

I would try resetting the Surface completely, and then apply all the updates. I did a reset several days ago for fun and I haven't had any driver errors while using Edge, no BSODs, etc. I've never had an issue with the touchscreen not responding, and I do use the Surface as a tablet quite often.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
onlysublime and I have been advocating that people who are exasperated by issues with the SP4 to return them and "wait it out" a while before buying another. My first go-round with the Surface RT and Surface 2 were very troublesome for me. A year after trading in my S2, I bought another. All of the wrinkles had been ironed out. Using it this time around is a very pleasant experience.

Your experience with your SP3 seems to confirm that.

There may come a time when I will get another Surface, but whichever one that will be, it'll be at least 6 months after it has been released.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My original SP2 had a video resolution issue that couldn't be fixed by firmware updates. So Best Buy just gave me a replacement without a hassle (ended up getting the newer i5-4300u processor in the swap).

I was going to run out and get an SP4, but I guess I'll wait a bit now with some of the issues people are reporting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes