Every time I start the computer from a complete shut down it takes so long to boot. It has been taking over two minutes. I just got this in the mail two days ago. Do you guys think i should return it?
    11-09-2015 07:38 AM
    I can't speak for others obviously, but mine boots in seconds. Every time I start it up, I'm surprised by how fast it's ready to use compared to my big, over spec'd desktop. I never let my SP4 sleep or hibernate and prefer to shut down completely when not in use. If this continues to happen to yours, I'd consider exchanging it.
    11-09-2015 08:52 AM
    Not sure if you've added a lot of start-up programs, but yeah, 2 minutes is not normal. On my SP4, I just timed it with a clock's second hand. From the time I pressed the start button until I get to the lock screen was 24 seconds. From the time Windows Hello recognized me to go from the lock screen to the main desktop was another 5 seconds. Total boot-up time: 29 seconds, the best I've ever had on any device.
    11-09-2015 09:03 AM
    I read somewhere that there is a bug with the Type Cover. Sometimes boot times are long with the type cover attached and very short when it is disconnected. Maybe you can try that and see if that is the case with your machine also.
    11-09-2015 09:42 AM
    Are any updates being applied during this time? It does take windows time to bootup/shutdown when updates are getting applied. You have to allow it to complete.
    11-09-2015 09:48 AM
    I read somewhere that there is a bug with the Type Cover. Sometimes boot times are long with the type cover attached and very short when it is disconnected. Maybe you can try that and see if that is the case with your machine also.
    This is true. I have the same boot up time whenever I have the type cover attached. It's just a software issue.
    11-09-2015 10:07 AM
    This is true. I have the same boot up time whenever I have the type cover attached. It's just a software issue.
    Same here. Boot time really slow when type cover attached and folded under. When the cover is removed or swung forward during 'hanged' boot, the boot resumes back to normal. I'm on my 2nd SP4 & type cover 4 just to make sure it was not defective hardware; seems like a software/driver issue.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    11-09-2015 11:01 AM
    I have no issues with boot time when the cover is attached, however, I don't have it folded under.
    11-09-2015 11:57 AM
    My cover is always connected fwiw
    11-09-2015 12:21 PM
    I was curious and just now timed my boot up (with the type cover attached). 17 seconds.
    11-09-2015 12:31 PM
    I was curious and just now timed my boot up (with the type cover attached). 17 seconds.
    I'm curious. What is your boot up time with the type cover folded underneath and the SP4 propped up on it?
    11-09-2015 01:45 PM
    Just tested it:
    On battery with Keyboard in normal position. 15.6 seconds from power button to Desktop, including the "Hello Sequence". (Man I LOVE Hello)

On Battery with Keyboard folded under. 2 minutes and 31 seconds! Holy cow. I'll NEVER do that again. Almost gave up.

On battery, Keyboard detached. 15.3 seconds including "Hello"

So, my conclusion is you will throw this thing out the window if you try booting it up with keyboard folded back. :)
    11-09-2015 03:06 PM
    Similar results with keyboard folded. Very glad that's not my habit.
    11-09-2015 04:01 PM
    Had this issue when I put the tablet on hibernate when closing with keyboard
    11-09-2015 04:14 PM
    Wonder why folding the cover back would make such a big difference. Oddly, having done it just that one time as a test, when the tablet finally booted, I had no bluetooth mouse connection or WiFi. I had to reboot to get them back....coincidence?
    11-09-2015 04:19 PM
    My guess is that the "state" of the Surface is altered with the keyboard folded under. And as such, there is a "bug" in the boot sequence. I suspect there is a delay while a software timeout must occur before the next step continues. I also would bet it will be addressed by the coders at some point.

I wish there were ONLY these kinds of bugs for early adopters, being that this bug is user avoidable. :)
    11-09-2015 10:47 PM
    For those that fold it under, do you reverse how it is attached, so that the keys aren't exposed?
    11-10-2015 12:04 AM
    Not feeling the need for a folded under keyboard...not happening in my world because that is ludicrous.
    11-10-2015 12:46 AM
    Just for those curious, I called customer service. They told me to hold the power button and up volume button at the same time till it booted me into UEFI screen. As soon as i get there, don't do anything but then shut down the computer by holding the power button for thirty seconds. Then boot it up. It booted up in 10-20 seconds this time. Tried again, boots up in 10-20 seconds consistently.

I'm not considering it fixed till it's like this for a week. I'm extremely wary about that 'fix' since i didn't actually do anything. Anybody have any ideas as to what i'm doing internally by booting up the UEFI screen and just shutting it down?
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    11-10-2015 12:51 AM
    My sp4 takes like around 10 seconds to boot up from cold boot.
    11-10-2015 01:29 AM
    Not feeling the need for a folded under keyboard...not happening in my world because that is ludicrous.
    I find the folded under keyboard handy with limited space though need quick access to a physical keyboard, and at times I need a stable platform for the hinge like in a car. I find myself grabbing the SP4 for edc instead of my XPS13 laptop.
    11-10-2015 11:06 AM
    Just for those curious, I called customer service. They told me to hold the power button and up volume button at the same time till it booted me into UEFI screen. As soon as i get there, don't do anything but then shut down the computer by holding the power button for thirty seconds. Then boot it up. It booted up in 10-20 seconds this time. Tried again, boots up in 10-20 seconds consistently.

I'm not considering it fixed till it's like this for a week. I'm extremely wary about that 'fix' since i didn't actually do anything. Anybody have any ideas as to what i'm doing internally by booting up the UEFI screen and just shutting it down?
    Alright guys, i'm a filthy liar. I saw the posts above where you guys were talking about it taking for ever when the keypad is folded under so i tested it out a few times.

When keyboard is attached and folded underneath when I boot it: On average it takes 2 minutes and 17 seconds to boot
    When keyboard is attached but in the upright position: On Average it takes 15 seconds to boot
    When keyboard is not attached: On Average it takes 10 seconds

I wonder what the issue is then since it only happens when the keyboard is folded
    11-10-2015 11:20 AM
    Interesting, looks like the only full proof way to avoid long boot up times is simple not have the keyboard folded back when doing a cold boot or just have the keyboard detached completely.

Do you guys get a long boot time with warm boots with the keyboard folded back?
    11-10-2015 07:43 PM
    This is something that will get fixed in an OS or firmware update. One to report, perhaps in the Windows Feedback tool or via Twitter. Although I'd be amazed if they didn't know about it.
    11-10-2015 09:19 PM