Need a 3-Button Alternative to the SP4 Pen - Any Ideas?

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
So, I love the pen that comes with the SP4! But with my SP2, I got used to having a middle mouse button, in addition to the right click. I used that middle mouse button extensively in CAD work. I've done a bit of research on my own, but can't seem to find any good alternatives to the SP4 pen that has 2 buttons and an eraser. Any ideas?

TabletBuyer2

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I tried the vaio canvas pen on the surface pro 4.... it worked in one note but I didn't try anything else.

It has two buttons on the barrel of the pen. If those could be programmed we would be in the money for sure. Not sure if it is programmable though.

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
It seems you're right, that one only has 256 levels of pressure, need the Sony N-Trig 2 for 1024 levels of pressure... and I can't seem to find that one for sale apart from the tablet.

In the event that I can find the 2015 pen sold separately, how did the feel, fit and finish and usage compare to the pen that comes with the SP4? I really quite like the one that comes with the SP4... if it had a second button on the barrel I'd be sold 100%. As it is... I'm considering just figuring out an alternative to the middle mouse button for part rotation in Solidworks.

WildKarrde

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Upon further research, I noticed that the Surface 3 N-Trig pen has the eraser button on the barrel. Only 256 levels of pressure, but no CAD program I know of uses pressure sensitivity anyway. You can get the silver one for just over $33 on Amazon. I've also confirmed that Radial Menu does allow you to remap your buttons... but it only works when it's running.

So if you don't have it set to start with Windows, then your SP4 pen would work as normal until you started the program, and then you can switch to the S3 pen and use your secondary button for whatever function you want.

TabletBuyer2

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
That is quite an interesting proposition... Do you know if the surface pro 3 pen works on the 4?

In regards to the vaio canvas pen.... i really like the fit and finish but the actual nib itself was very slick. I've heard the surface pro 3 pen is also very slick.... I can't confirm this though because I've never used surface pro 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon