Is the entire back of SP4 made of aluminium?

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I was at bestbuy playing with the SP4 for half an hour, I loved it but still wanted to wait for a little longer to buy it, after Microsoft issue more patches to fix the bugs... =P

but one thing I would like to make 100% sure... is the entire back surface of the SP4 made of aluminium? I'm asking because when I touch the SP4 back, especially the area below the kick stand, the entire surface feels a little bit warm (not like CPU temp where it focuses on one area, I'm talking about entire area), when I tap it using my fingernails, the sound is like tapping on a plastic, not metal...

When I'm holding an iPad, the back of the iPad is cool and feels solid, and I'm sure I'm touching metal...

I know Microsoft is saying that its entirely made of aluminium, and I just want to make sure...

ryankelsey7

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Its not aluminum. It's a magnesium alloy designed by Microsoft. Its definitely all metal. The coating is like a ceramic paint that gives it that warmer feel. But if you were in a cold environment trust me it gets cold to the touch. As far as the heat vs an iPad, remember this is a full PC with an intel i5 not a basic phone processor. If you run autocad or something on it the things gonna get a little warmer. Hence the vents. If you don't need that much power get the M3 model if you care that much about how cool it is.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
It's magnesium alloy with a coat on it (it's not bare metal). Which means you do have to be somewhat careful if you apply a skin to it. If you rip off the skin roughly, you can actually peel off the material coating the metal.

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
good, I dont really mind if it's aluminium or magnesium, I'm good as long as it's all metal.
I dont really like plastic because it cracks relatively easy... my company computer (Dell) the joint cracked after just 1.5 years of use... I'm a very gentle person

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon