Given that Intel and MS have released driver updtes, any unsolved issues for the SP4?

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I read that the Intel driver issued few days ago and the MS updates last months solved some issues. Are there other issues that need to be fixed for the SP4? Are those issues cpu specific (e.g. only appear in i7 machines) or SP4 in general?

billyboyblue

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I read that the Intel driver issued few days ago and the MS updates last months solved some issues. Are there other issues that need to be fixed for the SP4? Are those issues cpu specific (e.g. only appear in i7 machines) or SP4 in general?

Battery drain is still on going for me, but most everything else appears to be resolved, for the most part! but sleeping and heavy battery drain are still massive for me. 5 - 10% per hour with WIFI on.

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Battery drain is still on going for me, but most everything else appears to be resolved, for the most part! but sleeping and heavy battery drain are still massive for me. 5 - 10% per hour with WIFI on.

Thanks. As far as I recall, I read somewhere that after some updating (from Intel few days ago?), battery drain became 1% per hour.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Nothing has been released via Windows Update yet. The only available option is the official Intel drivers and you have to manually add those.

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Nothing has been released via Windows Update yet. The only available option is the official Intel drivers and you have to manually add those.

Last week, I read that it was not approved by Microsoft yet but users could download it from Intel. After installing those drivers, any other remaining problems?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Drivers are always a work-in-progress. There are a lot of things all interacting with each other so it's not easy. You have the WiFi chip, the CPU, the GPU, and the motherboard chipset all working together. Drivers are the responsibility of Intel but Microsoft has to do its part too and make sure the Windows 10 side is good too. Windows 10 is getting better and better. It's just a matter of your tolerance with being on the cutting edge of technology.

These problems are not exclusive to the Surface line. If you check the forums for HP, Dell, etc., they all have the same issues. It's just that Microsoft was the first vendor out there using Skylake so they're going to take the brunt of the immaturity of drivers. People criticize Apple for being late with releasing new models of Macs. But there's something to be said for waiting for the vendors to get their drivers in order. Plus, Mac buyers are willing to wait because they love their Macs.

I still love my Surface Pro 4 with its growing pains. Maybe because it's not my primary machine (my Surface Pro 2 is still primary) I can live with the growing pains. But I'm starting to use the SP4 more and more because the SP2 has 8.1 and more and more apps are Windows 10 only. Microsoft is also forcing you to get their deals through the Windows 10 store rather than having them available in the Windows Store app on 8.1. Plus, the mail app is finally becoming usable in Windows 10.

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Given the current situation, it is better to wait for a few more months or just go ahead and buy it? I am using a MacBook Pro of five years old.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Drivers are always a work-in-progress. There are a lot of things all interacting with each other so it's not easy. You have the WiFi chip, the CPU, the GPU, and the motherboard chipset all working together. Drivers are the responsibility of Intel but Microsoft has to do its part too and make sure the Windows 10 side is good too. Windows 10 is getting better and better. It's just a matter of your tolerance with being on the cutting edge of technology.

These problems are not exclusive to the Surface line. If you check the forums for HP, Dell, etc., they all have the same issues. It's just that Microsoft was the first vendor out there using Skylake so they're going to take the brunt of the immaturity of drivers. People criticize Apple for being late with releasing new models of Macs. But there's something to be said for waiting for the vendors to get their drivers in order. Plus, Mac buyers are willing to wait because they love their Macs.

I still love my Surface Pro 4 with its growing pains. Maybe because it's not my primary machine (my Surface Pro 2 is still primary) I can live with the growing pains. But I'm starting to use the SP4 more and more because the SP2 has 8.1 and more and more apps are Windows 10 only. Microsoft is also forcing you to get their deals through the Windows 10 store rather than having them available in the Windows Store app on 8.1. Plus, the mail app is finally becoming usable in Windows 10.
One of the reasons that people gave for the instability of Windows was that Microsoft produced the OS but the hardware vendors were responsible for the hardware and often times a 3rd party responsible for the drivers.

One of the benefits of having Microsoft control both hardware and operating system is that they can ensure synergy between both. They would select hardware and ensure that the drivers work well. It doesn't seem to pan out though. In some respects it's worse because hardware vendors have more experience producing hardware.

By the 4th go-round one would think that they'd have things dialed in.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
There is no choice with regards to motherboard chipset, CPU, and GPU as well as network hardware. Intel effectively owns the market. There is no viable alternative. If you want the latest CPUs, you have to get Intel. And if you want to get a Skylake processor, you have to get a motherboard with a compatible chipset that will work with the Skylake processor. And if you want an all-in-one solution, you have to get the wireless adapter that comes with the Intel motherboard.

It's like the old Ford adage. You can get any CPU, GPU, motherboard chipset, and wireless radios you want... As long as it's Intel.

petercohen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Are these problems cpu-ram configurations and/or country specific? For examples, countries that sell the SP4 later might have less problems because MS has updated the drivers? I met somebody recently. She bought a SP4. According to her, no problem at all.

Yesterday I read a post that an Indian user got lots of issues even SP4 was released in Indian very recently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes