Returning my Surface Pro 3

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
What the OP says is the biggest problem with marketing the surface series as a laptop replacement. messing around with the cover and the kickstand is just more complicated and less effective than a single simple hinge that you get on a laptop. I see the Surface 2 as a great complement to a proper windows laptop, but there's no way I would want to replace my PC with a surface pro.

All in one devices are going to fail. They try to cater for every use case but end up catering for none. MS needs to realise this and build a version of windows for touch, and a version for desktop. But they still need to work well together. It's a tough thing to get right

And they need to hurry up and get touch versions of office out as soon as possible.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Thx, but is any way to install it from my current PC on Surface like via USB?
and do u have any idea about my first question?(Graphic design and drawing, surface VS ipad)

I think so, yes. Here's what i did. Put both your SP3 and your desktop computer on a HomeGroup. What this means is they will be able to "share" resources. I'm not sure if this works with XP, but it does with Win7, Win8, and probably Vista.

So, on your desktop, look for "HomeGroup" in your Explorer View:
View attachment 69856
Click it and a wizard will walk you through creating the HomeGroup and will give you a code. SAVE THIS CODE. Do the same thing on the SP3, and when it asks for the code, just type it in. Tell it which resources you want to share and after a bit of sync time you'll see each pc under each other's HomeGroup.

Now back on your SP3, if you expand your HomeGroup (or Network) and see all the shared resources from your desktop pc and vice versa.

View attachment 69860

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The CD/DVD drive won't automatically be shared, so you'll have to do that part extra. On your desktop, find your CD/DVD in Explorer. Right-click -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Advanced Sharing. Check "Share this Folder" and give it a name. The default "Read Only" permission should be fine so just click Ok.
View attachment 69861

Also, note down the Network Path:
View attachment 69862

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why it doesn't just show up under Network or Homegroup now that it's shared. But i had to do this.
On your SP3 open Explorer. Right click a blank spot and choose "Add a network location"
View attachment 69863

Follow the wizard and when it ask for a Internet or Network address, type in the Network Path exactly that you saw above. Next it will ask you to give the new resource a name and that's it. It should show up in your drives list in Explorer now. If there is a disk your desktop CD\DVD drive you will be able to access it from your SP3.

If it's a program disk, you'll probably have to open it up then look for the Setup dot exe or Autorun dot exe on the first level. I did this for both the DVD-RW and flash card reader on my desktop. Hope this helps.

P.S, sorry for the triple-post, the forum wouldn't allow it as one, said it was spam.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have been using my SP3 for the past 2 days
I didn't even purchase the new type cover. I wanted a tablet that could actually do something.
I currently have it onmy lap, with the kickstand swung all the back. I think it works quote well.
I wish it were just a touch smaller though.
Love the weight, love the screen quality.
I think Microsoft is still not marketing this device correctly. It is not a laptop replacement. It's a really nice tablet that can run almost anything you through at it.
Try running Photoshop Cc or Lightfoot on an iPad, doesn't even exist.
Is it perfectly, not yet is it an improvement over the SP2 IMHO for sure.
Is it worth $1299.00 for the model I have I5, 256GB SD 8GB ram, hard to say yet there is nothing else out there in tablet form with this size weight combination.
Will I keep it??? Not sure yet. Going to use it some more

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
OP isn't responding to these posts. I always take similar "I'm immediately returning my XXX" posts with a grain of salt because they often appear to be more FUD than an appeal for help. No offense to anyone, that's just how I see it.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
OP isn't responding to these posts. I always take similar "I'm immediately returning my XXX" posts with a grain of salt because they often appear to be more FUD than an appeal for help. No offense to anyone, that's just how I see it.
I've actively read the responses, and don't think there has been reason to respond. What exactly should my response be? General consensus is that I should use the device for a bit longer, which I do plan on doing, but I'm not sure it'll change the limitations I've encountered using it as a laptop replacement.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've actively read the responses, and don't think there has been reason to respond. What exactly should my response be? General consensus is that I should use the device for a bit longer, which I do plan on doing, but I'm not sure it'll change the limitations I've encountered using it as a laptop replacement.

I hadn't seen any indication that you were going to use the device for a bit longer. It looked to me like you posted and left. Like I said, no offense, but I just wonder about the goals of these type of posts. It just sounds like a subjective limitation that you have discovered. There's probably not a lot of advice that people can give you, and without specifics, it doesn't give prospective purchasers much ability to evaluate your subjective opinion. That's why I asked for photos--I thought it might provide some assistance to people thinking of buying one. I don't know, maybe you are just venting and aren't really looking for feedback. Anyway, best of luck with your decision.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have been using my SP3 for the past 2 days
I didn't even purchase the new type cover. I wanted a tablet that could actually do something.
I currently have it onmy lap, with the kickstand swung all the back. I think it works quote well.
I wish it were just a touch smaller though.
Love the weight, love the screen quality.
I think Microsoft is still not marketing this device correctly. It is not a laptop replacement. It's a really nice tablet that can run almost anything you through at it.
Try running Photoshop Cc or Lightfoot on an iPad, doesn't even exist.
Is it perfectly, not yet is it an improvement over the SP2 IMHO for sure.
Is it worth $1299.00 for the model I have I5, 256GB SD 8GB ram, hard to say yet there is nothing else out there in tablet form with this size weight combination.
Will I keep it??? Not sure yet. Going to use it some more
"A really nice tablet"?! Hardware-wise, no question it absolutely is. But software-wise? It's not there. I'm talking about Modern UI apps not legacy desktop apps that are not optimized for touch usage. The Surface (both RT-based and Pro models alike) continue to offer sub-par tablet experiences due to the lack of touch-optimized apps.

I think that there is greater potential for Microsoft to bring developers over to create apps to take advantage of the platform... far more than what is possible with iOS. But at this moment in time, it's not worth it to me. And I'm not going to take a gamble hoping and wishing that developers will come around. If they do, I'll definitely consider it.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
"A really nice tablet"?! Hardware-wise, no question it absolutely is. But software-wise? It's not there. I'm talking about Modern UI apps not legacy desktop apps that are not optimized for touch usage. The Surface (both RT-based and Pro models alike) continue to offer sub-par tablet experiences due to the lack of touch-optimized apps.

The Surface Pro 3 can replace your laptop and tablet for consumption. Regarding games, it is no where near the level of the iPad in terms of Modern/Windows 8 games.

It is a laptop replacement.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Good for you. If you have doubt take it back. Even if Microsoft stops selling them there's always the used market and you might even save a few dollars.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
The latest version of Photoshop CC has some new touch features and it's only the beginning. I hope LightRoom adds these new features also.
No question Windows 8.1 in desktop mode is far from a good touch experience, and of course it would be great to see more Metro Apps,
Yet I see Metro based apps more like IOS Apps, which Microsoft will IMHO never be able to compete in this space.
Though Windows 8.1 desktop mode in the future could really be one of a kind for a tablet.
Apple as far as I know have no plans for a touch based OSX, kind if hard to believe.

Getting back on topic, as nice as the SP3 is, unfortunately the hardware is much more advanced then the OS still. Maybe Windows 9 :)

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't get this "unlappable" phenomenon wtht he SP3. Do you peoplehave woman legs or something? i use the sp2 on my lap all the time with no issue. You guys need to do some squats or something. I'm sure there's an app for that.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
any one can help me?
I used to drawing and designing graphic
which one is better for me? iPad air or surface pro 3?
and how we can install software on surface pro which already is on CD?
Thx

Definitely the SP3. The SP3 also includes a pen when bought, and its surprisingly very accurate and sensitive (I tried it). Also you could double it up as a laptop if you want to type, so tablet mode for drawing and laptop mode for typing stuff. You also could install basically any program for your drawing needs, as it runs Windows 8.1.

If you buy the iPad air, sure it's lighter, but you'll have to buy a separate pen again, and it couldn't double as a laptop. Plus there is the problem of unable to install certain drawing apps (as it is limited to the Apple store).

So the only positive I see from buying the iPad is it's lighter - that's it.

TMorss

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you mean. I owned a SP2 and was pumped for the SP3 but there were some issue that made me change my mind.

I was just recently at a conference in San Diego and they had no tables just chairs. The SP2 was not comfortable to use in my lap all day. It felt very wobbly. On my flight back my SP2 slid off the back of the Airplane Seat-back Tray due to the kickstand. It really began to bother me and when I returned the other shortcomings were the straw that broke the camels back.

The shortcoming that bothered me I tolerated for a long time. The first is the Desktop Scaling, man it annoys me. I use the SP2 Dock and you have to adjust the scaling which requires you to sign out and back in every time you dock it. It is NOT plug and play, unless you want your menu bars and display to blow everything up to a ridiculous size. If you don't adjust it back everything on the SP2 is so small you can't read it. They REALLY need to make that work better.

The other annoyance was the type cover. I had to constantly unplug and plug it back it so my cursor would work right. When you close the type cover it should do a better job putting it to sleep. I had my SP2 overheat because it turned itself back on in its case. And the trackpad was ANNOYING.

The last and worst this was a Windows not Surface issue. Why give it Mail and Calendar Apps that can't sync with most services? Makes no sense, here is a real nice email tool that does not work with the most widely used email service (Google). And no I don't want to switch to outlook, we are google apps enterprise users. And the Calendar is no go as well. What an oversight. I get it, they are your competitors. Apple and Google are competitors and they understand their devices need to work with Google because that is what the consumers choose to use and they will sell way less devices restricting everything to an iCloud account.

When I added up the money I was about to spend for the SP3 $1299 plus $130 it made no sense. I was able to buy a Macbook Pro Retina 13" with 8gb of Ram for the same price. So I passed and went back to Mac. It works well on my lap, has a better keyboard and trackpad and the mail and calendar apps work flawlessly with my Google Apps account. I am not knocking the SP3 but it needs to be $1299 with a keyboard included, and software that gives you a choice beyond their in house mail system.

jedge

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Mail works.
Calendar will kinda work if you synchronize it though Outlook.com first.
But the hardware issue you mentioned won't change and I can definitely see where you are coming from. Both are great hardware solutions. Sounds like you've tried both out extensively and made a very informed decision. Thanks for the real-world feedback.

One question, what were you using it for at the conference? If it was taking notes, maybe using OneNote+pen and holding it as a tablet might have worked well?

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
...I know it's not the same as a laptop, but I'm just happy about the new angle for the kickstand so I can use the on screen keyboard if I ever have to use in a chair or on a small airplane tray. I usually use my laptop with my legs extended in an ottoman, so I'm not sure I will have an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon