How can I get a USB 3.0 to interference with an older wireless keyboard/mouse?

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
USB 3.0 interference with older wireless keyboard/mouse

Any recommendations on how to get an older wireless (logitech wave 2.4) keyboard and mouse playing nicely on the surface pro 3? If I plug the dongle directly into the surface's USB port I get reasonable range (several feet) but this is still much, much shorter than the 20ish feet I can get on my old laptop (no bluetooth & usb 2.0 only). The range problem is much worse when using my anker USB 3.0/ethernet hub as I'm limited to a foot or two maybe (and to work at all, the keyboard dongle has to be in the slot furthest from the hub connecting cable). I'm looking for a solution that still allows me to have some USB 3.0 ports available (so not just swapping to a USB 2.0 hub). If possible I'd certainly like to keep using my old keyboard & mouse. If not - any recommendations for a similar form factor setup (e.g. lots of buttons on mouse and keyboard both) that would bypass this interference issue? No dongle at all would be ideal.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: USB 3.0 interference with older wireless keyboard/mouse

Long story short, get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard as it will free up your USB port and should fix your range issues.

Long Story: I've had a lot of problems with range on my wireless trackball/keyboard on my desktop... almost seemed like it was a line of sight issue... anyhow, trying them on my Surface Pro 2 had the same results and I wound up giving up my wireless trackball for a Microsoft Bluetooth Sculpt touch mouse... for the most part it works, but I sometimes have issues scrolling, ie I grab the mouse and my finger is in just the wrong spot and I wind up sideways scrolling... I still keep an eye out for a Bluetooth trackball and have debated grabbing a Bluetooth keyboard (type cover has a few issues here and there... holding shift, ctrl, or alt too long toggles a mode where they are defaulted as pressed and it always messes me up. the only solution has you disable a driver, but that brings up issues of its own)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: USB 3.0 interference with older wireless keyboard/mouse

Any recommendations on how to get an older wireless (logitech wave 2.4) keyboard and mouse playing nicely on the surface pro 3? If I plug the dongle directly into the surface's USB port I get reasonable range (several feet) but this is still much, much shorter than the 20ish feet I can get on my old laptop (no bluetooth & usb 2.0 only). The range problem is much worse when using my anker USB 3.0/ethernet hub as I'm limited to a foot or two maybe (and to work at all, the keyboard dongle has to be in the slot furthest from the hub connecting cable). I'm looking for a solution that still allows me to have some USB 3.0 ports available (so not just swapping to a USB 2.0 hub). If possible I'd certainly like to keep using my old keyboard & mouse. If not - any recommendations for a similar form factor setup (e.g. lots of buttons on mouse and keyboard both) that would bypass this interference issue? No dongle at all would be ideal.

This isn't a matter of interference, The SP3 USB port may be 3.0 but it is also under powered (or low powered if you prefer). It is the reason most USB powered DVD burners will not work correctly if at all. It may not be convenient but I would suggest you pick up a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Quite frankly I have yet to find an unpowered hub that is entirely satisfactory and SP3 has been more of a challenge that SP or SP2. It really is a low power device whether plugged in or just on battery and emphasis is on Bluetooth over USB....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk