SP3 unable to start, restoring and resetting failed...what's next? :(

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I was watching a show on my SP3 and afterwards I just left it there connected to the TV, and after a nap I came back to it, the blue screen was there saying start up failed and attempted automatic repairs, etc. Tried every available options including Startup Repair, System Restore (no restore points), Safe Mode, etc. and nothing worked, so finally decided to reset it but even that it just gets stuck on the "Getting things ready" message.... I let it sit there for 10 hours it still never moved.

It was on the latest build of Windows 10 preview.

Really bummed about this because I don't want to lose my files. :unhappysweat: Is it time to bring it to MS store or does anyone have some ideas of fixing it?

WP_20151024_23_12_46_Pro.jpgWP_20151024_23_01_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20151024_23_02_51_Pro.jpg

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I had that issue on another laptop with the last update.

There seems to be an issue with some files, after the update.

In my case I did a system restore to an earlier point, so everything was there.

Funny part tough, it didn't restore me to the date I selected, but one on a later date. I presume the date the update was downloaded.

In your case I'd hook up a USB-DVD and use a boot CD to get all my data out, since it's basically all there.

One more thing:

Are you sure there are no restore points at all? Maybe there are none that are new enough, so the box is blank? Did you click the show me earlier restore points below the box?

Hope this helps a bit.

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
According to latest news, Microsoft sent out a bad build. To only way to fix it until next build, is to turn off Secure Boot in UEFI.

That apparently should allow a normal boot.

I haven't tried it, since I have rolled back .

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the help, I'm actually currently on online chat with the MS, before I saw your reply... Going to try the UEFI setting and see if it does it

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Life saver! The device now booted up and working just fine. However now my booting "Surface" screen has a red background, probably due to the changed settings. I'm assuming I'll get some updates later to fix this issue.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to keep Secure Boot on from the UEFI settings? I'm thinking maybe I should turn it back on after the next build. Right now I haven't noticed any difference except for the ugly red startup screen.

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason to keep Secure Boot on from the UEFI settings? I'm thinking maybe I should turn it back on after the next build. Right now I haven't noticed any difference except for the ugly red startup screen.

From what I know the UEFI Secure Boot feature generally checks to see if the low level software is signed by Microsoft or the computer’s manufacturer. This prevents low-level malware like rootkits from interfering with the boot process.

With that being said, If you want to install Linux or dual boot, that same option will not let you, since Linux distributions are not signed by manufacturers or Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs