All 17 Attempts to upgrade Windows 10 to 20H2 Have Failed

kstephens43

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
I am running Widows 10 Home, 1909, Build 18363.1556 on a Dell Inspiron 3670. Obviously, I need to update to 20H2. Unfortunately, all 17 attempts have failed.

The latest was an attempt to do the update using a 20H2 ISO file. It failed as well. The setup.diag logs showed two errors: The first said:

“Cannot find include file “ks.inf. Needed section [KS.Registration] not found, might exist in missing included INF.”

The second said: ” fatal migration plug-in failure (Update Boot Code) Plug-in error: 0x00000005.

Aside from the inability to update to 20H2, my 1909 is doing everything I need with no problems.

Does anybody know how I can get around this roadblock?

I have already tried just about all the usual upgrade suggestions, such as uninstalling third-party antivirus, unplugging peripherals, cleaning the disk and files, etc.

Any suggestions? I am at my wits end.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I am running Widows 10 Home, 1909, Build 18363.1556 on a Dell Inspiron 3670. Obviously, I need to update to 20H2. Unfortunately, all 17 attempts have failed.

The latest was an attempt to do the update using a 20H2 ISO file. It failed as well. The setup.diag logs showed two errors: The first said:

“Cannot find include file “ks.inf. Needed section [KS.Registration] not found, might exist in missing included INF.”

The second said: ” fatal migration plug-in failure (Update Boot Code) Plug-in error: 0x00000005.

Aside from the inability to update to 20H2, my 1909 is doing everything I need with no problems.

Does anybody know how I can get around this roadblock?

I have already tried just about all the usual upgrade suggestions, such as uninstalling third-party antivirus, unplugging peripherals, cleaning the disk and files, etc.

Any suggestions? I am at my wits end.

Have you tried the W10 update assistant?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ssistant-3550dfb2-a015-7765-12ea-fba2ac36fb3f

I had to use that to upgrade a laptop as everything else kept failing - even the media creation tool... heck even a clean install failed too... good thing I had cloned the ssd before hand lol...

kstephens43

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
I tried the update using the Windows Update Assistant. It took three and 1/2 hours to complete, and I got an error message "Update failed."

Something is causing all updates to fail, and attempts by various knowledgeable people have been unsuccessful. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

I have resigned myself to doing a clean install. I have spent over 60 hours on this over the last two weeks, and it would be easier to do a clean install and reinstallation of my apps than to beat this dead horse. (If anybody knows how to put a curse on Microsoft, let me know <grin>.)

I have a complete backup of my hard disk (including the corrupt Windows 10)d, using Macrium Reflect, and a separate Windows backup of my "files and data." Would the latter restore my apps?

I need advice/tips from someone who has actually done a clean Windows install. I have been using Windows since the first version, but have never before had this serious a problem. I have confirmed that my hardware is just fine.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried the update using the Windows Update Assistant. It took three and 1/2 hours to complete, and I got an error message "Update failed."

Something is causing all updates to fail, and attempts by various knowledgeable people have been unsuccessful. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.

I have resigned myself to doing a clean install. I have spent over 60 hours on this over the last two weeks, and it would be easier to do a clean install and reinstallation of my apps than to beat this dead horse. (If anybody knows how to put a curse on Microsoft, let me know <grin>.)

I have a complete backup of my hard disk (including the corrupt Windows 10)d, using Macrium Reflect, and a separate Windows backup of my "files and data." Would the latter restore my apps?

I need advice/tips from someone who has actually done a clean Windows install. I have been using Windows since the first version, but have never before had this serious a problem. I have confirmed that my hardware is just fine.

Well, that sucks... and I know that's an understatement given your predicament.

With a clean install, the question becomes how clean do you want the install to be?

1)You can format the partition that Windows is on - a full format will take a while so the set up does a quick format by default.

2)You can delete all the system created partitions including Windows and then create a partition again. With the second option providing the ISO has been created a Machine with GPT or manually chosen using Rufus (rufus.ie) or similiar tool you are able to create a GPT install.

A GPT install does not have primary partition type limitation that MBR does.

However a clone of the hard disk is a clone of the hard disk including your file table type (GPT or MBR - by default it most likely will be MBR unless it's a fairly recent PC / Laptop)

I suppose you can try 1 and go from there.

In regards to the apps and app data, unfortunately a restore is not that simple as even getting file permission access to the app data is cumbersome.

Even then Your app data is tagged with a unique idenitifier which resets every install and if the identifier doesn't match then you can't use the app data. It's stored in multiple places in the registry, to date I haven't found an effective way to restore this - as it's not simple as it was in XP or Windows 7 for example. If anyone else has, please feel free to chime in.

.exe programs store info in multiple places alongside Program Files / Program Files x86, C:\Users\[username]\AppData --> Local (used by all programs), LocalLow (rarely used by programs), Roaming (mostly used in tandem with Local) and C:\ProgramData

C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\[username]\AppData are hidden folders.

Then there are pesky progams that like to add .dll libraries where they shouldn't such as the Windows folder - fortunately such practise is rare these days.

In regards to your data, as long you copied all the folders (that are not hidden) in C:\Users\[username]\

If you have a folders in other partitions they are fine however if you want complete clean the HDD then you should back them up too.

I would suggest partitioning your hard disk if you haven't already in a 40 / 60 split.

40% for Windows and 60% for your data - for this example we'll call it Drive E:

Create a Users folder on E: with your username once you have installed Windows.

Go to C:\Users\[username]\ then right click on each visible folder and properties -->Location Tab --> change C to E (you will have to do this individually per folder). So for example C:\Users\[username]\Downloads to E:\Users\[username]\Downloads then click ok.

The other option is to drag and drop to the folder on E: or cut and paste.

This way all you have to is reinstall the o/s without losing your data except your app data.

Note: even if you moved your app data, Windows will ask you if you want to overwrite every re-install if you choose to move the app data to E:

kstephens43

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Success at Last!."

I am happy to report that I have now solved all my Windows Update problems on the 21st attempt to upgrade from 1909 to 20H2.

While making one of the frequent backups during this process, using Macrium Reflect (free), I noticed that after booting with the USB media, there is an option to "Fix Boot Problems." I clicked on that button, and after a few minutes, got the message: "Boot Problems Fixed." I immediately started the Windows Update process. The update succeeded.

I have no idea what the program did specifically to fix boot problems, but it worked.

My 20H2 is running flawlessly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven