Anyone else lose touh screen on their Surface Pro 4?

Hardcore1973

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
While using the Surface Pro 4 it will just lose the ability to touch the screen. I have to reboot to get touchscreen back. I know the graphic issues are caused by the HD 520 chipset and drivers but losing touchscreen sounds like a hardware issue.

Anyone else experience this yet?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife purchased an i5 SP4 today at Best Buy. In the first hour it froze and wouldn't take any input from touch screen, keyboard or pen. Couldn't reboot or restart. Took it back and exchanged for a different one.

laestrella

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
No. I used the ISO and just kept my files.. Also, just in case you were having this issue as well... The insider build definitely fixed my trackpad scrolling issues. Gestures seem a bit temperamental but scrolling is Soooo much better. Just be aware that the insider build could have other bugs. With that said things are going reasonably well for me. Actually it's the only reason I haven't given up on the device. I was so angry about some of the issues.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
While in tablet mode I have noticed when pressing an app, such as Mail or Edge, the tile animation will indicate it has been pressed but nothing happens. After the third or fourth press the app will launch. This happens intermittently.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
While in tablet mode I have noticed when pressing an app, such as Mail or Edge, the tile animation will indicate it has been pressed but nothing happens. After the third or fourth press the app will launch. This happens intermittently.
I've noticed that happening on mine as well. I've also had it where the touch screen will seem to freeze. I can use mouse/keyboard, but not touch screen. This will last for around 30 seconds and then it will start working again.

rgc6789

May 19, 2012
Visit site
My wife purchased an i5 SP4 today at Best Buy. In the first hour it froze and wouldn't take any input from touch screen, keyboard or pen. Couldn't reboot or restart. Took it back and exchanged for a different one.

Same thing happened to me. Exchanged mine and the new one is perfect. Mine would freeze and would have to hold the power button down to get it back. Sometimes the touch screen would stop working but the computer would still work.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Same thing happened to me. Exchanged mine and the new one is perfect. Mine would freeze and would have to hold the power button down to get it back. Sometimes the touch screen would stop working but the computer would still work.

All of these "issues" are software related, there's really no point in replacing hardware. Microsoft (and Intel) just needs to hurry up and address these issues.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, have definitely had the same problem. I'm assuming software/driver issue though as the display driver has crashed a few times also.

laestrella

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE to my earlier post:

Lost the ability to use the touch screen even on the latest insider build. So the issue still hasn't been fixed.

danrowe49

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I had the same exact problem. 5 - 10 times per day I was loosing all touch input. On another thread I saw someone click the end button on their surface pen to show that the computer wasn't frozen, just that the touch input was out. Sometimes this would even happen when in sleep mode and I wouldn't be able to turn it on at all. The only thing that reset the touchscreen was a hard reset.

I took mine back and returned it for a new unit. A few hours in and no problems so far. The new one seems even snappier in general. I love this machine, so I'm hopeful it was just an issue with some internal connections in the first production run that a few of us have been unlucky enough to pick up...

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I get this issue at least every other day. I'll be using either touch or the pen and then the screen will just randomly stop accepting either input. The keyboard and trackpad still work though. Only way it gets fixed for me is rebooting.

James Hauser

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Happening to me too. I will lose the touchscreen and have to plug in the keyboard to reboot. Tapping on icons has also been finicky for me as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes