HP Spectre x2 compare to SP4

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I just found out that HP has a Spectre x2 that looks very similar to the SP4, I did a little bit research, there's really not much review on the web but I'm able to find out that while it's price is similar to SP4, the spec is better, it also comes with the keyboard included. My own opinion is that it looks even better than the SP4 just by looking at the pics, M5/M7 CPU, 8GB ram, B&O speakers, and I can even build it with a bigger SSD...

I've always wanted the M3 SP4 but it only comes with 4gb ram and 128gb SSD... while the CPU and RAM should be OK, 128gb SSD is a little bit too small for me.

Seems like the HP Spectre x2 is a good choice...!

I'm living in Greater Detroit area, does anyone know where can I find an actual Spectre x2 around? I dont see it in Bestbuy or Microsoft store... I want to feel it and try it out before I buy it online.

Anyone who bought the SP4 actually looked at the HP Spectre x2 and did research about it? why would you bought the SP4 instead? I want some more opinion...

Last edited:

codeda

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't show up online for whatever reason, but they had them at my Best Buy this weekend. I checked one out at the store for a bit. Maybe call your local Best Buy or just head over if it's close enough to see. Seemed like a nice set up.

CoolManny

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the Core m7 8gb 128gb for about a week now. In addition I have been able to compare it with a SP4 Core i5 4gb:

Pros:
1. Fast enough to tackle the basics such as web browsing, video and music streaming, word processing with Word, emailing and Facebook. In fact it is my "go to" device for these tasks.
2. Keyboard is included and for me it is the best keyboard I have used with a tablet. Its keys are back lit and based on the keyboard for the Spectre x360. It also has two speakers built in to the top to make the Sx2 a quad speaker device.
3. The unit is very stylish. Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and this looks beautiful. The kickstand is stiff yet easy to position. The black plastic WiFi housing across the top back looks classy in person as does the HP logo.
4. Future forward with USB-c inputs on both sides and LTE with Verizon

Cons:
1. Poor battery life (some posters and techies say this is a common problem with devices based on Intel's new Skylake processors and I have the same issue with the SP4). The best I have been able to eek out was 51/2 hours of mixed use.
2. You need to order the pen and any USB-c adapters at the time you do a custom build for the tablet. I failed to do both and I had to run out and buy 2 adapters and and I am waiting for the best way to order the pen (there has been some debate online as the best way to get the pen as most HP service reps are unsure of how to order it).
3. Although there are a total of 4 speakers available for this tablet (2 on the right and left sides and 2 in the keyboard) and B&O created the sound profile for the system the sound is quiet, hollow and tinny at its best. You will want to invest in a good pair of headphone or Bluetooth speaker to enhance your listening pleasure.

How did it compare to the the SP4?
My use case for this tablet is 80% casual use (no gaming); 20% business use (word processing, PDF annotation). The SP4 is overkill for me. I had to go through a SP3 and SP4 (via Microsoft's recent SP3 trade in promotion) to discover the Surface Pro line exceeds my needs and creates a burden of heat and noise (less with the SP4) that I could live without.

After a week of using both the Sx2 and the SP4 as my daily drivers I returned the SP4 to the Microsoft Store today (although I had to settle for $400 of store credit which I used to buy a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker and a blue type cover and pen for my Surface 3 which may find its way to eBay soon). It was not a hard choice for me to make. I have a Acer R11 laptop with a Core i5 and 8gb of ram when I need to rip a disc or write a long paper or posting and I gifted my wife with the HP Spectre x360 laptop with Core i7 and 8gb of ram if I need to do anything else that I am capable of doing with power to spare (she'll let me use it, right?). I believe in using the right tool for the right job and this works great for what I commonly use a tablet for. Would I use it for my only computing device? No, I would have went with the SP4.

In closing I encourage you to examine your computer use and go with the one that will meet you common use case. Better yet if you could use both (I know this ain't cheap... as my wife continues to remind me) you will have a better idea which will work you.
CoolManny Out....

Last edited:

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
The Spectre X2 looks nice, but in my opinion it's too heavy (significantly more than the SP4). I would say a better alternative is the Lenovo Miix 700, which is lighter and seems to have everything the Spectre X2 does except for USB-C.

I would miss Windows Hello though which you only get with the SP4. I would also imagine that the X2 would ship with lots of "potentially unwanted software" if it's anything like my HP laptop. Also I like to be able to choose the colour of the keyboard with the Surface :p

I'm currently using SP4 M3. While the 128Gb SSD is a bit small, I do have a NAS at home so I can put some stuff on that to save space.

Last edited:

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the Core m7 8gb 128gb for about a week now. In addition I have been able to compare it with a SP4 Core i5 4gb:

Pros:
1. Fast enough to tackle the basics such as web browsing, video and music streaming, word processing with Word, emailing and Facebook. In fact it is my "go to" device for these tasks.
2. Keyboard is included and for me it is the best keyboard I have used with a tablet. Its keys are back lit and based on the keyboard for the Spectre x360. It also has two speakers built in to the top to make the Sx2 a quad speaker device.
3. The unit is very stylish. Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and this looks beautiful. The kickstand is stiff yet easy to position. The black plastic WiFi housing across the top back looks classy in person as does the HP logo.
4. Future forward with USB-c inputs on both sides and LTE with Verizon

Cons:
1. Poor battery life (some posters and techies say this is a common problem with devices based on Intel's new Skylake processors and I have the same issue with the SP4). The best I have been able to eek out was 51/2 hours of mixed use.
2. You need to order the pen and any USB-c adapters at the time you do a custom build for the tablet. I failed to do both and I had to run out and buy 2 adapters and and I am waiting for the best way to order the pen (there has been some debate online as the best way to get the pen as most HP service reps are unsure of how to order it).
3. Although there are a total of 4 speakers available for this tablet (2 on the right and left sides and 2 in the keyboard) and B&O created the sound profile for the system the sound is quiet, hollow and tinny at its best. You will want to invest in a good pair of headphone or Bluetooth speaker to enhance your listening pleasure.

How did it compare to the the SP4?
My use case for this tablet is 80% casual use (no gaming); 20% business use (word processing, PDF annotation). The SP4 is overkill for me. I had to go through a SP3 and SP4 (via Microsoft's recent SP3 trade in promotion) to discover the Surface Pro line exceeds my needs and creates a burden of heat and noise (less with the SP4) that I could live without.

After a week of using both the Sx2 and the SP4 as my daily drivers I returned the SP4 to the Microsoft Store today (although I had to settle for $400 of store credit which I used to buy a Bose Soundlink II Bluetooth speaker and a blue type cover and pen for my Surface 3 which may find its way to eBay soon). It was not a hard choice for me to make. I have a Acer R11 laptop with a Core i5 and 8gb of ram when I need to rip a disc or write a long paper or posting and I gifted my wife with the HP Spectre x360 laptop with Core i7 and 8gb of ram if I need to do anything else that I am capable of doing with power to spare (she'll let me use it, right?). I believe in using the right tool for the right job and this works great for what I commonly use a tablet for. Would I use it for my only computing device? No, I would have went with the SP4.

In closing I encourage you to examine your computer use and go with the one that will meet you common use case. Better yet if you could use both (I know this ain't cheap... as my wife continues to remind me) you will have a better idea which will work you.
CoolManny Out....

yes the USB type-C is one problem, but that's what make the Sx2 so thin I guess. Also maybe a year or two more and more accessary will support type-C directly, I dont know... time will tell.

I only do web browsing, youtube, and word processing. I never play games on computers because I have a PS3, I also do not know how to use photoshop etc stuffs.

The Sx2 has M7 and 8gb ram which I think is very future proof. plus it's cheaper than the SP4.

I'll go to another BestBuy to see if they have in stock... I may really go get a Sx2 while comparing to the SP4. Or maybe I'll wait until next year when the Elite x2 comes out??

Thanks this is very useful information CoolManny!

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
The Spectre X2 looks nice, but in my opinion it's too heavy (significantly more than the SP4). I would say a better alternative is the Lenovo Miix 700, which is lighter and seems to have everything the Spectre X2 does except for USB-C.

I would miss Windows Hello though which you only get with the SP4. I would also imagine that the X2 would ship with lots of "potentially unwanted software" if it's anything like my HP laptop. Also I like to be able to choose the colour of the keyboard with the Surface :p

I'm currently using SP4 M3. While the 128Gb SSD is a bit small, I do have a NAS at home so I can put some stuff on that to save space.

One thing i really dont like about the Miix 700 is that it's really a complete knock off to the SP4... also it's Chinese, I dont really like Chinese brands I have too many bad experiences with Chinese brands... but that's my own opinion...

For the Windows hello, I'm actually not quite sure what it is, is it just a recognition thing that helps you to unlock the computer? that's it? Or it has way more function than unlocking computers...?

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
There is lots of feedback on Spectre X2 here:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-hp-spectre-x2-12-2015-discussion-thread.67868/page-44

Common complaints seem to be (based on above thread):
Poor speakers
Poor quality screen (versus SP4)
Poor battery life

Also there is talk of newer Spectre X2 elite coming next year, which seems to have some refinements such as both a USB-A and a USB-C port (instead of two USB-C)

Still looks like a good device I think but just some stuff to bear in mind

Last edited:

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
There is lots of feedback on Spectre X2 here:
http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-hp-spectre-x2-12-2015-discussion-thread.67868/page-44

Common complaints seem to be (based on above thread):
Poor speakers
Poor quality screen (versus SP4)
Poor battery life

Also there is talk of newer Spectre X2 elite coming next year, which seems to have some refinements such as both a USB-A and a USB-C port (instead of two USB-C)

Still looks like a good device I think but just some stuff to bear in mind

Poor screen.... I guess I can live with that because the current Dell Vostro 5470 I'm using I'm completely satisfy with the screen, and I know that it's like 3 times less pixel compare to the SP4, but seriously, at least I dont think my eyes can distinguish such differences in a 12'' screen.
Poor battery.... well I guess that's the driver problem that the SP4 also experience? and it will be fixed with later updates soon (hopefully)...?
Poor speakers....!!? That's something I'm not expecting!

And thanks so much for the link, I'll read the post in that forum!

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
From that I've read it's not just that the screen is lower resolution. It's also darker and has washed out colours. No first-hand experience but that's what is being said in the thread I linked.

I've also just read that the kickstand on Miix 700 goes to a maximum of 135degrees. It's a shame all of these competitors devices seem to have these small flaws. I am sure they are still good overall though

eatqqq

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
From that I've read it's not just that the screen is lower resolution. It's also darker and has washed out colours. No first-hand experience but that's what is being said in the thread I linked.

I've also just read that the kickstand on Miix 700 goes to a maximum of 135degrees. It's a shame all of these competitors devices seem to have these small flaws. I am sure they are still good overall though

I'm still working on that post, I'm now at page 2x... still need some time to catch up with all their reviews lol
Thanks, that post is very helpful

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I sent my SP4 M3 back as I was finding the 4Gb RAM insufficient. Ordered a Spectre X2 and it arrived DOA. Screen is black and it won't turn on. Not exactly reassuring regarding the quality of this machine :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon