So... After escaping damage (http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3344685) My surface pro 4 eventually did get damaged.

I don't want to get into the details because it's not my fault it's damaged.. It works fine but there is a crack on the right side of the screen and the corner of the screen is smashed in. This is an eye sore to me.

Even though it works fine, I would like to get it fixed.

When i go on Microsoft Website to do a service order and select the option of "Cracked Screen", It gives me one option of

Out Of Warranty - Standard Exchange (USD 320.00)
    You ship your device to our Microsoft authorized exchange center where your device is inspected. After passing inspection, a replacement is sent to you.
    Under most circumstances, your replacement will be shipped to you in 5-7 business days after you ship your device to Microsoft.
    If you‘re eligible, Microsoft will provide a return shipping label for you. Your options will be presented to you in the following step.

What do they mean by inspection? What inspection? It's cracked. It's troublesome because you need to pay first.

I would hate to spend 320usd (in addition to the shipping costs as i am not in the us) and then nothing happens after that.

Has anyone used this service before and can shed some light?
    12-30-2015 11:10 PM
    So... After escaping damage (http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...ml#post3344685) My surface pro 4 eventually did get damaged.

I don't want to get into the details because it's not my fault it's damaged.. It works fine but there is a crack on the right side of the screen and the corner of the screen is smashed in. This is an eye sore to me.

Even though it works fine, I would like to get it fixed.

When i go on Microsoft Website to do a service order and select the option of "Cracked Screen", It gives me one option of

Out Of Warranty - Standard Exchange (USD 320.00)
    You ship your device to our Microsoft authorized exchange center where your device is inspected. After passing inspection, a replacement is sent to you.
    Under most circumstances, your replacement will be shipped to you in 5-7 business days after you ship your device to Microsoft.
    If you‘re eligible, Microsoft will provide a return shipping label for you. Your options will be presented to you in the following step.

What do they mean by inspection? What inspection? It's cracked. It's troublesome because you need to pay first.

I would hate to spend 320usd (in addition to the shipping costs as i am not in the us) and then nothing happens after that.

Has anyone used this service before and can shed some light?
    They'll inspect and replace it for the $320 may be new or may be certified refurbish
    ttsoldier likes this.
    12-31-2015 08:07 AM
    I used it last month. Mine was $0 and I am in US. Rest of the process was same. I received a free shipping label from MS, shipped it, reached there next day. Then the status changed to "waiting for inspection". The next day, it was showing "shipping replacement". Since it was one day overnight shipping, I got it within 2 days.

I believe their standard policy is to inspect your device to make sure that it only has the issues that you described while submitting the service request. That's what they do during inspection. After that, they may not repair your device and send it back to you. Instead they may send you another one, which could be a refurbished device. I don't know if you would get a refurbished one since you are being charged for repair, but I believe mine is refurbished. Serial number was different between the one I send and the one I got back. There is a minute dent on the edge near the speaker, that's why I think it was refurbished.

You have to send only the tablet, no pen or adapter. Don't use the box your surface came with. They will send you back only the tablet, in a generic cardboard box. Mine came back from what looks like a third party address which was most likely authorized by MS to handle the repair/exchange.
    Last edited by unni_kmr; 12-31-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    ttsoldier likes this.
    12-31-2015 08:08 AM
    I used it last month. Mine was $0 and I am in US. Rest of the process was same. I received a free shipping label from MS, shipped it, reached there next day. Then the status changed to "waiting for inspection". The next day, it was showing "shipping replacement". Since it was one day overnight shipping, I got it within 2 days.

I believe their standard policy is to inspect your device to make sure that it only has the issues that you described while submitting the service request. That's what they do during inspection. After that, they may not repair your device and send it back to you. Instead they may send you another one, which could be a refurbished device. I don't know if you would get a refurbished one since you are being charged for repair, but I believe mine is refurbished. Serial number was different between the one I send and the one I got back. There is a minute dent on the edge near the speaker, that's why I think it was refurbished.

You have to send only the tablet, no pen or adapter. Don't use the box your surface came with. They will send you back only the tablet, in a generic cardboard box. Mine came back from what looks like a third party address which was most likely authorized by MS to handle the repair/exchange.
    It's troublesome to know you got back the device with a minute dent on it.

An agent on Microsoft Chat said that the device will not be repaired and will be replaced.
    12-31-2015 08:47 PM
    It's troublesome to know you got back the device with a minute dent on it.
    Its really minute, probably less than 1 mm diameter. It could have existed when it came out from factory or it could have been caused by the user who returned it last time. Its hardly visible unless I look closely and carefully. Anyway, I think you can ask for another replacement if you don't like the one you received. I remember seeing an option to send you a replacement before yours reaches them. You most likely would get a free shipping label in such cases since its not your fault.

I really was hoping they would repair instead of sending a refurbished one. In the end, I paid $1500 to end up with a refurbished device.
    Last edited by unni_kmr; 01-01-2016 at 09:03 AM.
    01-01-2016 08:12 AM
    Since you were concerned about the dent, I have uploaded a photo. Sorry for the improper focus. I am not exactly sure how to use my camera properly.

Note: The dent is on the kickstand, not on the speaker edge as I mentioned earlier. On the speaker edge, the paint is very slightly worn. I got these two mixed up. The dent on the kickstand doesn't have any issues with paint.

Attachment 119785
    Last edited by unni_kmr; 01-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    01-01-2016 08:47 AM
    Since you were concerned about the dent, I have uploaded a photo. Sorry for the improper focus. I am not exactly sure how to use my camera properly.

Note: The dent is on the kickstand, not on the speaker edge as I mentioned earlier. On the speaker edge, the paint is very slightly worn. I got these two mixed up. The dent on the kickstand doesn't have any issues with paint.

Attachment 119785
    Thanks. I really haven't decided as yet. Like you said abovem $1500 to end up with a refurbished device.

The touch and screen work great. I don't have problems other people complain about , eg fan coming on etc. So i'm torn... It's just an eye sore... Maybe i'll send it back.. Maybe I won't...
    01-01-2016 06:52 PM
    Thanks. I really haven't decided as yet. Like you said abovem $1500 to end up with a refurbished device.

The touch and screen work great. I don't have problems other people complain about , eg fan coming on etc. So i'm torn... It's just an eye sore... Maybe i'll send it back.. Maybe I won't...
    So I've still been used the Surface Pro 4 with the crack... Decided to check the price of the Standard Warranty Exchange thinking that it would have dropped by now...

Ha..

It has actually INCREASED to $450.00

So much for that... lol
    08-21-2016 06:57 AM
    I really hope the price goes back down

Why increase the price Microsoft. Why?! :(
    09-12-2016 11:39 PM

07-19-2017 10:41 AM
    so you didn't have to pay anything to get a refurbished surface????
    07-19-2017 10:42 AM
    when they replaced the surface, did you not have to pay anything??? how do you do this??
    07-19-2017 10:47 AM