Strip of screen not responding to touch, but works for pen

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else had this problem?

There is a strip on my Surface Pro 4 screen, on the right-hand side but not right to the edge, that doesn't respond to touch, but does work for the pen. What I mean is, it won't work with my finger, but the pen works fine.

For instance, if I drag from the left, once it hits the dead strip then it cuts off. If I use the pen it goes right across. If I put an app or file in the dead strip, I can't select it with my finger but I can with the pen.

No idea why this is, but I did have a weird issue with my pen not long before, where it seemed to stop working except for the top button to open OneNote. Then it started working again and I noticed the strip being dead, though I couldn't say it immediately followed it.

Anyone experienced this before? Not seeing anything online about it or on here.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else had this problem?

There is a strip on my Surface Pro 4 screen, on the right-hand side but not right to the edge, that doesn't respond to touch, but does work for the pen. What I mean is, it won't work with my finger, but the pen works fine.

For instance, if I drag from the left, once it hits the dead strip then it cuts off. If I use the pen it goes right across. If I put an app or file in the dead strip, I can't select it with my finger but I can with the pen.

No idea why this is, but I did have a weird issue with my pen not long before, where it seemed to stop working except for the top button to open OneNote. Then it started working again and I noticed the strip being dead, though I couldn't say it immediately followed it.

Anyone experienced this before? Not seeing anything online about it or on here.

Looks like a hardware issue. any service centre or MS store nearby?

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I found the MS page for touch screen issues and followed it right through until the last step of a suggested hard reset/reinstall of Windows 10. I contacted Tech Support and they said it sounded like Windows 10 itself had been corrupted so even though the drivers were OK, Windows 10 was giving them the wrong instructions.

I had to do a hard reset, reinstall Windows 10, it didn't leave a list of uninstalled apps on my desktop like it was meant to, which was helpful, and I've set about reinstalling everything.

The good news is the touch screen is working again, but the pen is completely unresponsive. I think I need to reinstall it/link it though. At one point, the screen stopped responding to touch, so I started closing everything down and suddenly it started working again. I re-opened everything and it's been fine since, but I'm still nervous about that.

I don't think I'll ever fully trust my Surface Pro 4, had more trouble with this than any piece of kit I've ever owned. I suspect the screen will stop working again at some point and I'll have to get another replacement.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a similar issue with my lenovo helix, top 1/3" of the screen is non responsive to touch, in all orientations...

calibration doesn't work cause I can't touch that part... pen works.

Lenovo replacing it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3