Leaving it plugged in?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If I get the Surface Pro, I plan to use it as my primary PC. This would mean that I'd most likely leave it plugged in during the day while I am using it at my desk.

Do you guys see any problems doing that? Will it kill the battery? I mean the thing only gets 4 hours of battery life now, I don't want to risk losing anymore from leaving it plugged in.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If I get the Surface Pro, I plan to use it as my primary PC. This would mean that I'd most likely leave it plugged in during the day while I am using it at my desk.

Do you guys see any problems doing that? Will it kill the battery? I mean the thing only gets 4 hours of battery life now, I don't want to risk losing anymore from leaving it plugged in.

Can't speak for the surface but for laptops yes. My Dell even has a feature to protect it from this. I'll quote what it says.

"Leaving your computer continuously plugged in may reduce the health of your battery. Should you like to keep your system plugged in continuously, Dell's Desktop mode will protect your battery by moderating the extent to which your battery will charge, resting and protecting your battery when it is not in use.."

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I always remove the battery from my laptop when using it as a desktop replacement. There can be no doubt the using the battery will, in time, degrade it. I too have heard that leaving a battery plugged in will affect it in a negative way. Whether this is actually true today I don't know, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

If you need a "primary pc" why not then get an 15" ultrabook with touchscreen, Windows 8 and a removeable battery or an all-in-one pc with touchscreen and Windows 8? I don't think a tablet/pc hybrid as the Surface Pro is meant for being a primary pc at home. It is (relatively) small and optimized for being moved around easily. Of course, it depends on your definition of "primary pc".

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I always remove the battery from my laptop when using it as a desktop replacement. There can be no doubt the using the battery will, in time, degrade it. I too have heard that leaving a battery plugged in will affect it in a negative way. Whether this is actually true today I don't know, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

If you need a "primary pc" why not then get an 15" ultrabook with touchscreen, Windows 8 and a removeable battery or an all-in-one pc with touchscreen and Windows 8? I don't think a tablet/pc hybrid as the Surface Pro is meant for being a primary pc at home. It is (relatively) small and optimized for being moved around easily. Of course, it depends on your definition of "primary pc".

I'm someone who is constantly traveling and also needing to use my PC in different meetings and offices. However, majority of my day when not traveling is spent in my office. My plan was to use the Surface Pro as my primary PC and use a USB Hub, External Keyboard/Mouse and External Monitor when using it on my desk.

This way, when I need to get up and go - I just unplug it and off I go.

The Surface Pro sounded like exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. A powerful laptop in a small package that could also double as a tablet when all I need to do is give presentations or take notes.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I see, then indeed the Surface Pro sounds like a neat device for your needs. Still, I cannot tell you whether leaving the machine plugged in will actually reduce the health of the battery, but I could definitely see it happening.

If you are really concerned about it, I would continously recommend looking for a slim, small Ultrabook with a touchscreen and a removeable battery. That will solve the battery-problem, but you will of course loose the tablet functionality. Perhaps something in between like a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13? You'll have to decide how much it is actually plugged in and how much you'll actually have it with you, I think. :)

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
lithium batteries are not really harmed by "memory" cycles or anything else. Obviously the device needs to be smart enough to back into a trickle charge when its full, but this is a basic function of any modern power supply.

Any damage is probably negligibly different than the person that discharges and recharges the device. Given a 2 year lifespan, I doubt you would notice significant battery impairment over that length of time.

And if its ALWAYS plugged in.... whats the difference anyway? If your truly concerned, its not hard to just flick the power plug off for 3 hours whenever you feel like it. I just don't think its necessary.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread, I have very rarely used any of my previous laptops on battery, they are nearly always plugged in, my first lasted three years or more before I sold it, my second lasted six years, OK the battery was pretty well done in at the end, but it didn't matter as it was always on power, I could get about an hour out of it at the end, my new laptop is also being used this way.

However I am not sure about using the same strategy for my Surface Pro.

Does any one keep their Surface plugged in at least most of the time ?

What other strategies have you developed for using your Surface regards charging/usage V battery life?

I am sure I read that the Surface battery has a finite number of charges before it dies, has anyone managed to kill a battery yet and how much did it cost to get a new one fitted?

Bob

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I use my Surface Pro as my primary machine, I just remove the charging plug from the Surface every so often and let the battery go down till notice pops up to tell me my battery is getting low, then plug back in for another few days. Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes