Backlight bleeding

ddeino

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Surface Pro yesterday and REALLY like it. It is the device I have been waiting for. I write for a blog and did a full review here.

I have quite a bit of backlight bleed on the lower right hand side of the screen. It's really not as bad as the backlight bleed I saw on the Samsung ATIV Pro or Sony Duo 11--but I was curious to see if others had it.

By the way, you guys should definitely download this driver for the Intel graphics card. It allows you to change color saturation and other things. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't include this driver. Here is the link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22401#help

All I have to say is that if Apple released the SAME EXACT product, reviews would be amazing.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Surface Pro yesterday and REALLY like it. It is the device I have been waiting for. I write for a blog and did a full review here.

I have quite a bit of backlight bleed on the lower right hand side of the screen. It's really not as bad as the backlight bleed I saw on the Samsung ATIV Pro or Sony Duo 11--but I was curious to see if others had it.

By the way, you guys should definitely download this driver for the Intel graphics card. It allows you to change color saturation and other things. I'm surprised Microsoft didn't include this driver. Here is the link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22401#help

All I have to say is that if Apple released the SAME EXACT product, reviews would be amazing.

Read your review. No backlight bleeding on mine. The speakers are actually embedded in the unit and port sound through the vent gap. Let us know if that driver affects battery life.

BrownSamurai

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've got backlight bleeding on the lower left side of the screen. I'd love to take it back and exchange it, but with it being out of stock just about everywhere I'm SOL.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I've got backlight bleeding on the lower left side of the screen. I'd love to take it back and exchange it, but with it being out of stock just about everywhere I'm SOL.

I'm sure MS will replace it if its a real problem when they have it in stock again. As for mine, havent noticed any light bleeding.

ddeino

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually, mine is also on the lower left hand side. It's noticeable but not really bad when compared with other tablets I've recently tried.

ModernMech

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 64 GB Pro today, and the very first thing I saw when I powered on was some pretty terrible backlight bleed along the top and bottom of the screen. I tried to get a good pic, but it's hard. Searched the web and this is the first result I found.

I initiated a warranty exchange right away, which was pretty easy... didn't even have to explain what the problem is. Microsoft is shipping a replacement unit and I just have to ship back the bleeding unit when the new one arrives.

You can't tell at all during normal operation, but it's incredibly noticeable during a dark movie or game. Not acceptable for a $900 device. Otherwise I'm in love with it.

WP_20130213_002.jpg

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I do have some backlight bleeding, but it's not a bother.

What is a bother, is that along the right side of the screen I have a yellow "hue", worst on the bottom right part of the screen. Very visible on white's and greys. And yes, it's like a burnt yellow color :(

StephenWagner7

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have any yellow blotches on their screen?

Here's a pic of mine:
Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Can anyone comment if this is an issue similiar to the Apple products "glue not curing" issue?

Usually if device is off and room temp, I turn it on and the yellow marks aren't there. Slowly after a while, after the device heats up, the yellow shows up. Under heavy application load, the yellow gets worse and worse. I'm guessing with the increased heat.

I could be wrong, but I think my device was fine for the first week I was using it (I was heavily inspecting it for anomalies), the yellow just appeared out of nowhere yesterday after the device was on for 2 hours playing a netflix movie.

Most visible on white background and/or some grey colors. The yellow is not visible on black, etc..

Attachments

• YellowHue.jpg
    YellowHue.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

legoheads

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have identical bleed as described in the OP and shown in uscdigital's photo. Just went and inspected two separate display models at nearby stores and they both exhibit the exact same lower right hand bleed on startup. Those who claim to have no bleed can you post a photo of the "Surface" splash screen at start up? May take a trip to a Microsoft Store later and check out their units on display.

Oh and ddeino those video drivers you linked to are for desktop HD4000 chips. The mobile versions are dated back in December. I did notice when I put those on my video performance decreased slightly from the stock Microsoft ones. Rocking the stock ones now. Being able to control vsync as well as the color adjustments is nice, but I want all the juice I can muster.

EDIT: Make that 3 demo units with the EXACT same light bleed as in uscdigital's photo above. Wonder if it has something to do with the magnetic charger port right next to this area?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar