Streaming Video/Display?

granero

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Wondering if there is a way to wirelessly stream video and/or mirror the display to a TV via an Xbox. I have played around with using the Devices charm, but it seems to be inconsistent with the media type or app being used and what can be streamed. I realize there are third-party hardware products such as wireless HDMI and VGA, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.

I don't believe the Surface Pro is enabled with Wi-Di or Miracast technology (I could be wrong), but it seems to me that with Microsoft making both the Surface and Xbox products, streaming between the two would be a built-in feature much like what Apple did with OSX/iOS and the Apple TV. Am I missing something, or is this just not currently possible?

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you find a way let me know lol. In the mean time I bought a 15 Ft generic 1.4 micro hdmi to hdmi cable on eBay for 7 bucks that's working pretty well.

granero

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If you find a way let me know lol. In the mean time I bought a 15 Ft generic 1.4 micro hdmi to hdmi cable on eBay for 7 bucks that's working pretty well.

Thanks, I'll keep looking for a solution but I'm not holding my breath... :). In the meantime, I placed an order with Monoprice for a mini display port to HDMl cable.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I came across an app in the store on my rt called Link+ while I was looking for a video editor, which I found something useful called arcsoft showbiz. Anyways the link+ uses dlna if your tv or if you have a bluray player. Not sure if the xboxs have that option. Anyways best I've found so far. It does cost $4.99 though but may be worth it.

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't you buy the media center pack for $10 and then setup Xbox as media center extender?

I have a htpc and media center on it with my movies and it houses my 700 movies. Then have same on my surface pro and have access to everything. Including live\recorded tv because I have a hdhomerun prime cable card tuner. Nothing like $10 a month for cable.

only bad thing is with recorded tv I cannot watch recorded cec flagged recordings on another device other than my htpc. But you can with Xbox and media center extender.

Only downside with media center extenders is they don't play mkv or some other formats.

Also I use cetons my media center companion on the surface pro and rt as a remote for the htpc. works great
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2