I have found a GREAT keyboard for Surface

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My Type Cover stopped working over the weekend, so I sent it back to Microsoft for an exchange. I haven't received my new one yet, so decided to give my old Touchpad Bluetooth Keyboard a try. Now I am wondering why I didn't connect this before. If sitting at a table or desk, this is a great option - especially because it isn't actually connected physically.

2013_03_01_09_45_36_ProShot.jpg

Amazon.com: HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard: Electronics

Though it is expensive at the above link, you can find these around the web pretty cheap

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
+ / - ...

For the + that it isn't connected...there is the - that you have to charge it.

For the + that it is a cheaper option, there is the - that it doesn't fit the Surface exactly like the Type Cover.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
+ / - ...

For the + that it isn't connected...there is the - that you have to charge it.

For the + that it is a cheaper option, there is the - that it doesn't fit the Surface exactly like the Type Cover.

You don't have to charge it, it runs on batteries (either AA or AAA). I can't remember what battery type because I haven't had to change the battery in this keyboard since I bought it with my Touchpad in the summer of 2011 - and I have used it EXTENSIVELY.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
A little more info on this:

1. The dedicated search button works, brings up Search Charm
2. Volume buttons work
3. Play/Pause works with music (haven't tried it with anything else yet)
4. This is a BIG one, the Card button (little button with squares beside left control button) actually swaps between open Metro apps including the desktop)
5. Symbol button acts as an Alt button

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I love the type cover. It's the only one that's going to have the 4 charms until some 3rd party keyboards come.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I love the type cover. It's the only one that's going to have the 4 charms until some 3rd party keyboards come.

I love the Type Cover as well, but this works while I'm waiting for my replacement. This keyboard actually is a little more comfortable to work on since it is a little larger and raised/tilted. I will probably keep this at a fixed location and use the Type Cover when on the go.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to charge it, it runs on batteries (either AA or AAA). I can't remember what battery type because I haven't had to change the battery in this keyboard since I bought it with my Touchpad in the summer of 2011 - and I have used it EXTENSIVELY.

OK...won't go too into depth, but to say you don't have to give it a charge, just give it batteries is kind of...'ignorant' is a harsh word...so we'll say "not understanding what a battery does."

The better pro/con would have been "Yes, it requires a separate power source than the tablet, but it is EXTREMELY efficient and lasts a really long time. Multiple YEARS really."

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
OK...won't go too into depth, but to say you don't have to give it a charge, just give it batteries is kind of...'ignorant' is a harsh word...so we'll say "not understanding what a battery does."

The better pro/con would have been "Yes, it requires a separate power source than the tablet, but it is EXTREMELY efficient and lasts a really long time. Multiple YEARS really."

Saying that putting a battery in something is the same as "charging it" is pretty ignorant. If a battery is not rechargeable, you do not CHARGE the battery/device. Wireless mice with rechargeable Li batteries need to be charged. Devices that take a standard non-rechargeable battery does not need to be CHARGED as the device itself does not hold the charge, rather it needs its battery replaced.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
@curtieson, also, with your definition of "you have to charge it" then it is no different than the Type Cover since it must utilize a charge that is passed from the Surface.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
To charge something is to give it a source of energy. You are now stuck in the thought that 1 time use batteries supply a different charge then rechargeable batteries . I did not say recharge...which is what you seem to have stuck in your head.

@curtieson, also, with your definition of "you have to charge it" then it is no different than the Type Cover since it must utilize a charge that is passed from the Surface.

Correct, they both need a charge...The Type cover though receives it from the tablet itself, which is a huge plus to a lot of people and a minus to this one you suggested...which is exactly why I put them in the same Pro/Con in my post.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
To charge something is to give it a source of energy. You are now stuck in the thought that 1 time use batteries supply a different charge then rechargeable batteries . I did not say recharge...which is what you seem to have stuck in your head.

Correct, they both need a charge...The Type cover though receives it from the tablet itself, which is a huge plus to a lot of people and a minus to this one you suggested...which is exactly why I put them in the same Pro/Con in my post.

"that you have to charge it" implies having to plug it in and charge it (if it is a first time charge, you are not REcharging it).

Just stop bud, you are making yourself sound like an a$$. The point of this thread was to help people out who need an alternative keyboard.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Despite using the Surface for hours just about every day, I still havn't gotten used to using the charms on the keyboard, I always end up just doing it with the touch gestures.

Recharging or batteries makes little difference TBH, the downside is still there - it needs an extra step to power the device up as opposed to having it USB bus powered.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Curtieson, you are a r3tard who needs to belittle people in forums over your stupid perception of a word that doesn't even matter. Congrats!

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
its good to know the option exists, but I also feel like its a bit of an answer to a question nobody asked. As OP said, if he had his touchcover, it would be pretty irrelevant. As most of us do have a touch cover...

For docking purposes, you would likely want a FULL keyboard anyway.

but again, its an interesting observation and good to know some of the function keys line up.

Maybe good for lap use, put the surface on a snack table or whatever else, that might be inconvenient to type on, put wireless keyboard on your lap... maybe, its a stretch. Without a touchpad on it, your pretty limited anyway.

As for the battery debacle. no comment... I don't love batteries, but I am not sure why the disagreement even matters... these thing last months on a set of batteries... who cares.

heed

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
pdch, thank you so much for sharing this. I have one of these gathering dust and never would have thought to use it since I would assume none of the special keys would work on Surface. But now I know they do. Thanks so much!

Also, in general, I prefer smaller keyboards like this so I can stay centered on the screen and still use a mouse on the right without reaching too far. I used to use a full size 106-key kb and it's just too much for everyday use (unless you regularly input a lot of numbers with the numpad). This is why "tenkeyless" boards (aka 87- or 84-key) and "mini" boards (aka 60-key like the KBT Pure, KBC Poker, etc) have become so popular recently.

Thanks again!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The HP Touchpad keyboard is one of the few accessories I never purchased. Thanks for the tip though. I don't see any problem having an alternate or back-up keyboard.

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I for one think this is a great idea. And frankly, I don't care if you have to plug it into a blast ended screwt if its only once a year.

Curtieson - that buzzing sound is for you. Time to get the French Fries out of the fryer :-0

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Just to let you guys know, you also do not have to turn this keyboard on and off except when pairing. It goes into sleep mode but wakes INSTANTLY when you hit the first button (ok, sometimes it lags for a second...but normally starts right up). Again, I am on the same batteries since the summer of 2011...so a year and a half and still going.

I am STILL waiting on my type cover replacement - but really think it is going to get stored and used only when out of the house. I actually like using my Surface better without the cover on when moving around my house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes