Just bought Surface Pro and cant figure out how to sync GMail, GCalenders, and GContacts

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Surface Pro and need to sync up my GMail, Google Calendar and Google Contacts. Can someone help me with simple instructions as to how I do this.
Thanks

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That's because Google stopped supporting the integration type (EAS) used in Windows 8.

Do a search on the forums, there are several threads on this topic. Basically, Google is a ****.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It does suck. You could try manually putting it in as sync.google.com or m.google.com in settings to see if it will work.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Google is pushing for the open standard and MS refuses to implement it on any of its devices. As a result, Google stopped supporting activesync for new free users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I wish that these companies would think about the customer more. This is why people go with a company that you can sync all of your important things seamlessly. This fighting between companies just makes everyone mad. IMHO

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Google is pushing for the open standard and MS refuses to implement it on any of its devices. As a result, Google stopped supporting activesync for new free users.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Microsoft doesn't refuse open standards, in fact they are adding CalDAV support and embracing HTML5 and CSS. They made it a first class language in Windows 8. Google was actually about to drop CalDAV as well as EAS. But they received huge backlash for that.
Google is the one that dropped the support with little warning. Google is the one blocking the YouTube app and refusing to build apps for Windows 8 or Windows Phone.

Microsoft is the one updating their integration constantly chasing Google's moving requirements. Microsoft is the company that has made their apps for iOS and Android including, Word, Excel, OneNote, SmartGlass, Xbox Music, etc.

I'm sorry, but in this case, Google is the one being the ****** bag and stiffing their own customers.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't refuse open standards, in fact they are adding CalDAV support and embracing HTML5 and CSS. They made it a first class language in Windows 8. Google was actually about to drop CalDAV as well as EAS. But they received huge backlash for that.

Google is the one that dropped the support with little warning. Google is the one blocking the YouTube app and refusing to build apps for Windows 8 or Windows Phone.

Microsoft is the one updating their integration constantly chasing Google's moving requirements. Microsoft is the company that has made their apps for iOS and Android including, Word, Excel, OneNote, SmartGlass, Xbox Music, etc.

I'm sorry, but in this case, Google is the one being the ****** bag and stiffing their own customers.

Oh, stop whining. Do you think MS would have considered adding DAV if Google hadn't threatened to remove Activesync? Hell, APPLE supported DAV for years...

The YT and apps issue has been hashed to death, but yeah. Google is under no obligation to build anything for any OS. You cant say they want to promote Android with this strategy because they have apps on iOS that are possibly better than the Android equivalents. Nobody wants to spend money developing for an OS with too little marketshare to justify the effort, as evidenced by the several threads moaning about missing apps.

And re MS, they have to get people to use their services somehow. It seems like I can hardly see a Windows PC at anyone's home (excluding PC gamers). Everyone seems to get along fine with a tablet and smartphone (neither of which is MS' strength right now). I see one Samsung ultrabook, three MB Airs, one MB Pro and many iPads in the Starbucks I'm typing this from (the one near Oxford Street, London) Yes, you can't go in an office without seeing a sea of Windows machines but that's possibly MS' last remaining strength. The future seems to be one where their only port into the consumer market will be the Xbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon