Google Calendar no longer syncs with Surface Calendar after app update?

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
So I just got the batch of updates for the core Microsoft apps including the calendar and Mail, and in Mail, it had to reconnect with my Google account to access my Gmail for something relating to Google no longer supporting the way it was previously set up? Well anyway, after reconnecting, my Gmail works again. However, I have noticed that all events that were previously synced in from my Google calendar to the Microsoft calendar app are now gone. Looking under the account settings, there is no longer any reference to my Google account or a way to add it back in. What gives??!

martinblank64

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What the bleep!?! According to that, the calendar can no longer be synced!!! What kind of garbage is this??? The calendar app has successfully been rendered 100% useless for me overnight!!! :(

This is a HUGE bummer!! I have my entire schedule and events on my Google calendar, which I frequently checked on my Surface! Total garbage! This was major functionality for me that has just evaporated in a puff of smoke with the latest set of updates to the Microsoft apps!!!!

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
It's not entirely Microsoft's fault, Google is the one that dropped support for EAS (Exchange ActiveSync). Though Microsoft has known this was coming for some time, so I'm surprised they didn't include CalDAV support in the Calendar update.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What the bleep!?! According to that, the calendar can no longer be synced!!! What kind of garbage is this??? The calendar app has successfully been rendered 100% useless for me overnight!!! :(

This is a HUGE bummer!! I have my entire schedule and events on my Google calendar, which I frequently checked on my Surface! Total garbage! This was major functionality for me that has just evaporated in a puff of smoke with the latest set of updates to the Microsoft apps!!!!

This is all Google's fault. They're the ones that dropped EAS support and publicized it only a couple months in advance.

Microsoft is working on integrating with CalDav, but until then the calendar app won't integrate with Google.

This is why I don't use Google services outside of Google Analytics and YouTube. I use my MS account with Outlook.com for my calendar. Screw Google.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
This is all Google's fault. They're the ones that dropped EAS support and publicized it only a couple months in advance.

Microsoft is working on integrating with CalDav, but until then the calendar app won't integrate with Google.

This is why I don't use Google services outside of Google Analytics and YouTube. I use my MS account with Outlook.com for my calendar. Screw Google.

Two things wrong with that statement:

1. EAS is available for all existing devices. There was no need for MS to have disabled it explicitly.

2. EAS licenses cost money. If MS had such care and concern for their consumers, they could have challenged Google publicly - "hey Google, here's a free EAS license, use it forever/until we get calDAV working". This would have won them respect. Now, they look plain incompetent. Even Apple has had DAV support for years.

Oh, and if a company with the size and resources of MS cannot create a DAV protocol and hook it into existing mechanisms, that speaks volumes about their competence.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Y'know, I've always found it funny that for all the anti-Goog that goes on here, WPcentral.com has no fewer than 21 separate Doubleclick, Analytics and Adsense cookies/scripts (as per Ghostery) and not one Bing Adcenter script.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Y'know, I've always found it funny that for all the anti-Goog that goes on here, WPcentral.com has no fewer than 21 separate Doubleclick, Analytics and Adsense cookies/scripts (as per Ghostery) and not one Bing Adcenter script.

Nothing wrong with using Google for what they are good at and what is their core business, Search, Advertising, and Site Analytics.

Everything else is just pet projects they play around with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes