Does anyone have a EN-US (US) Recovery Drive for Windows RT 8.0?

Dn Bianco

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Dn Bianco - I, too, installed 8.1RTM from the ISO file, and was very disappointed that the battery drain issue wasn't resolved. I followed INTEROPBYT instructions, and the download from his server, and have successfully returned my Surface back to 8.0. In addition, the battery drain issue has been resolved now that I'm back on 8.0, so I'm a happy camper! Hopefully Microsoft will get this resolved by Oct. when 8.1 officially comes out.

Hi armelwani. Thanks for share your experience. I'm glad then we can restore the Surface to 8.0 (Fatory)... But I have some comments:
1) Now, my Surface have 8.1, and I'm not experience battery drain at all.
2) I want to restore Surface to 8.0, because my main language is Spanish, and, I guess Windows 8.1 screwed the things a little bit... I'm using it in spanish, but Mail, Calender and People, remains in english... I uninstalled them, but when I reinstal: bump! It install OLD VERSIONS of Mail, Calender and People... kinda strange...
3) As I installed W8.1 without a valid product key, I LOSTED ACTIVATION. But, after contacting a Surface Support, I got my product key again... so I have 1 question:

Did you lost your product key after you reset your Surface to 8.0?

Im looking forward for your reply, Thanks!

Dn Bianco

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks!
Ok, I guess I will stay with 8.1 up to 15 October... and then I will go back to 8.0 and later I will update to the final 8.1 in October 17... from the Store app.
Best,

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yep - just to confirm with all the others, it is very possible to go back to 8.0 from 8.1. And, it's pretty simple too :)

Sent from my GDR2'd Lumia 822

wayne gold

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry i need some help please. I have uploaded the 8.1 preview for my RT and would like to revert back to 8.0 before the live version is available. My recovery USB does not work !! Can someone please assist or let me have a copy that i can place on a USB stick. Thanks, Wayne

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sorry i need some help please. I have uploaded the 8.1 preview for my RT and would like to revert back to 8.0 before the live version is available. My recovery USB does not work !! Can someone please assist or let me have a copy that i can place on a USB stick. Thanks, Wayne

Hey,

We're going to need a bit more information than that. Where have you downloaded the files from? And why doesn't it work?

If you need an easy step-by-step guide, go to page 2 of this thread and check out my post! ��

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I am assuming your current recovery USB is hosed (if you think it may work try the steps in the video below first). If it still fails to install I suggest to start from scratch. Get the 8.0 iso from here. Then image it to a blank USB drive. The USB needs to be formatted to FAT32 (mbr not gpt), otherwise the RT won't boot from it (that could be one issue you have with your current thumb drive btw.). You can use UltraIso or Rufus to "flash" the iso to the thumb drive. Once you have the iso on the flash drive follow this video...

follow this video

which walks you through the recovery process. The video is done on a Surface Pro, but it works the same way on the RT.

edit: Didn't even realize I already posted this on page 2. Follow Interopbyt's instructions and this should work. One important part is that the thumb drive has to be bootable.

Last edited:

Nick040489

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded the recovery files you provided. I followed your instruction and got nowhere. I even tried starting the reset from Update & Recovery in the settings and it tells me the media inserted is not valid. I can't boot to it either. Do you have any ideas as to what I could do?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the recovery files are usable in the Update & Recovery settings. If you downloaded the recovery files successfully and copied the files inside the zip to [IMPORTANT] the root directory of your FAT-formatted flash drive, you should be able to boot off of it using the directions I provided.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
No matter how many times I try it will not boot to usb. That's the only reason I was trying it through the settings menu.
there are only three possibilities.

1) the usb thumb drive is not formatted correctly

2) it has the correct format, but it is not bootable because it is missing boot files.

3) the thumb drive is bad or the usb port on the rt damaged.

From my post above with instructions I must assume that the first two have been addressed.
That only leaves a hardware issue. Did you follow the video to boot from USB?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
And now we can download the a recovery image from Microsoft! Download Surface RT Recovery Image (Windows RT 8.0) - North America from Official Microsoft Download Center

I read their instructions, and they say to just format the USB thumb drive and then copy the contents of the zip over.

To boot off the thumb drive:
1) Turn Surface RT off by pressing the power button.
2) Start Surface RT using the USB recovery drive.
a) Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.
b) Press and hold the volume-down (?) rocker.
c) Press and release the power button.
d) When the Surface logo appears, release the volume rocker.
e) Surface will start the recovery software on the USB recovery drive.​

Now I haven't downloaded the ZIP from Microsoft, yet. I might attempt it tonight before going to bed and then i'll compare it to my image I made off my RT when I got it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, those are the same instructions that are given in the video. But, if you format your USB drive as ntfs, you won't be able to boot.
If the boot from USB instructions are really his problem, then all I can say is, pay attention to what people suggest.

Last edited:

Memitim

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Memitim, but is that only for XPS or will this work for Microsoft Surface RT too ?

XPS only, check the Surface RT subforum on here for recovery images for it

Edit: My bad, thought this was in the XPS subforum.... Posting from my phone, didn't see it.

caminante76

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, please i need a recovery drive for Windows RT 8.0, i bought this in Montreal, now my machine is in Peru and i am not able to make it work. I pass by the service centre chat of Microsoft and they ask me to see from someone with the same machine to make a copy of the driver. Even if you sell this, please let me know i can see we can fix the exchange. Thank you in advance!

Caminante76

MUMO220887

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello mase 123987, please I nead your recovery for windows rt 8.1. I have a surface RT 64 gb. I upgrade my surface for 8.1 and i dont create a recovery. I am from slovakia and me english language is not good (sory). Please help me.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes