Surface 2 start up problem

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
My wife just came into the front room with her Surface 2, it is just switching off, then on to the screen that says surface but it never gets to the swirling dots, then off again, if I tap the screen the word surface stays for a second or two longer then off it goes again. It just keeps on doing it.

If you hold down the power key it will turn off, but as soon as you press it again to turn it on it goes into the same on off routine.

I also tried turning it off and on again whilst on the charger, and I also tried plugging in the keyboard (You never know). So far no results.

It was running 8.1 with the latest upgrades. There is a 32 G card in the slot but I have also tried booting with it not in, no difference.

Any ideas welcome.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just interrogated the wife, she had used it in the kitchen earlier and when she went back to the bedroom she put it on charge but cannot swear (Because she didn't look) that the light on the charger was on, but we have just put it back on, to make sure the battery is charged.

The Surface had not moaned about low battery that we are aware.

It was warm in London today but compared to really hot places I doubt it was that hot, as mentioned we are in the UK, I am not aware of any Microsoft shops so it's probably a trip back to PC World where it was bought from about two months ago.

Bob

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying it needs to be charged like you mentioned.. try plugging the charger in for a little while and make sure the light on the connector is on while it's charging. My Surface 2's charger is kinda messed up where I'll have to twist and jiggle the wall plug end to get it to start charging.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It's on charge and I have to go to bed as I am on early shift in the morning.

Firstly apologies I posted in the wrong place, it should have been in the Surface 2 forum, and also I did look around but not clearly enough as just below was a thread with issues for original Surface RT's having the same problem, no real solutions though.

Will see how we get on tomorrow when I get home from work.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
No, went on to the UK Microsoft support site, they were only open for another half hour, requested a call back, they literally must have called the number and hung up as no one heard it ring but somehow we had a missed call in a tiny one bedroomed flat.

Will try again tomorrow as soon as I get in.

I am guessing it is a boot up issue, apparently if you know someone else with a Surface you can use that to create a USB recovery stick. My wife does know someone, ME, but I have an original Surface Pro and the wife a Surface 2, So I don't know they would be compatible, we don't know anyone else with a Surface 2.

This will teach me to not create a recovery disk/stick ASAP.

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Started earlier today and got a call back within a minute, they are sending out a USB recovery stick by UPS, he did say if it had been a Surface RT it would be a replacement, but as it's a Surface 2 they are offering the stick and it should be with us in a few days.

Sounds like a standard procedure to get it sorted (Power and volume down to get it to boot off of the stick and then choose re-install etc.).

Wife will be happy as long as it's up and running by our holiday in a few weeks, and I am doing a recovery drive procedure on all our other gear :)

Bob

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
An update:

The stick arrived but no joy, would not boot from stick so the fault was very early on in the boot process.

Then the fun started, two days of mucking about with Microsoft's system, calls dropped, various online issues, and then when we got somewhere the tech managed to spell Croydon wrong and it ended up with my cards being stopped, but in the end I did the whole process online by myself and they shipped out a replacement.

Maybe I just ain't designed for dealing with automated systems that go wrong.

But the end result is the wife is happy as she has a working Surface 2 in time for our holiday, so well done Microsoft.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon